Welcome to PatsFans.com

VA Data Theft: Are you a victim?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by bmf31c, Jun 29, 2006.

1. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

http://www4.army.mil/ocpa/read.php?story_id_key=9242

WASHINGTON (Army News Service, June 29, 2006) – The Army has activated a secure Web site, https://ID-Theft.army.mil, enabling current and former servicemembers to determine if their personal information was potentially compromised as a result of a data loss from the Department of Veteran’s Affairs on May 3.

The data loss included names, social security numbers and dates of birth of as many as 20 million veterans, to include active and reserve members.

“Although there is no evidence that the data has been used illegally, all Soldiers should be extra vigilant with regard to their financial well-being,†said Army Chief of Staff Gen. Peter J. Schoomaker and Sergeant Major of the Army Kenneth O. Preston in a joint message to Solders.

For a valid response to queries done at the new Web site, users should enter all requested information in the format specified. Anyone identified as having had their personal information compromised will be linked to the VA Web site, which lists steps for protection from identity theft. For additional information on identity theft protection, go to DoD's Military One Source at www.militaryonesource.com or call (800) 342-9647.

2. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Lucky me :rolleyes:

• The information that you provided has been identified as a record which was included in the information impacted by the VA data theft. It is highly advised that you remain vigilant and review the below website thoroughly.

The VA has set up a special Web site (http://www.firstgov.gov) and a toll-free telephone number 1-800-FED-INFO (1-800-333-4636). Each features up-to-date news and information on the data compromise. The Web site provides steps on how to check credit reports, how to guard against identity theft and who to call if an individual believes any fraudulent activity is occurring with his or her personal information.

3. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If you do not have any Army Knowledge Online login and password you will not be able to log on to check.

If you are eligible for one you can get it here:

https://www.us.army.mil/suite/login/welcome.html

If you are not eligible I can assist you in one of two ways:

1. I can sponsor you for an account. If you have a Army relative (Active Army, Army Reserve, National Guard, DA Civilian, Retired Army), they can sponsor you. If not, I need alot of your information to do this, and I am not 100% comfortable with doing it. The upside is, you have just as much personal information about me, as I do about you.

2. I can look up the data for you via the secure website. I need your last name, the last 4 of your SSN, and your date of birth (YYYYMMDD). You have my word that I will never share your data with anyone.

If you would like assistance please PM me.

4. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Has there been any way to access data from other services??

5. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Today the investigators recovered the laptop and determined that the information hadn't been accessed.

6. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's such bull**** that they can determine that in such a short amount of time. . .The last article I read said that preliminary analyses indicate that the data hadn't been accessed, but that more testing needed to be done. In any case, with hackers getting more and more sophisticated, I don't think they'll ever be able to say that it wasn't accessed with certainty.

I want to know if my husband or my info was on that computer, no matter what.

7. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree, they are covering this up. It's a giant case of CYA. They are not going to be able to tell if that data has been accessed or not. They are trying to head off a class action lawsuit and IMHO it's not going to work.

First anthrax shot now this....:bricks: