Welcome to PatsFans.com

Using Religion

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

What would athiests have to say about this, of course the holy roller do-gooders will try to start screaming "racism" for even mentioning it.

Do athiests have the same feelings about this guys God as they do about Mitt Romney or Barack Hussein Obama's God...........:confused:

Muslim man sues WA employer for firing over beard - Yahoo! News
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -2

Do you know what the word atheist means? (Funny, you more or less describe yourself as atheist... but I guess being conservative means you need to view atheists with disdain despite your own beliefs.)

-------

Employers should be able to make rules about employees' appearance, conduct, etc. As long as those rules are enforced consistently, somebody like this guy shouldn't have an argument -- there's no right to work anyplace you want.

Of course, same goes for christian healthcare workers who want to pick and choose their job responsibilities based on their religious beliefs. Presumably you don't agree with the guy in the story you cited -- do you also have a problem with the Christian employees who want their own personal beliefs to trump their employers' rules?
  3. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

Strangely I agree with your whole post, religion no matter who's god it is should be kept out of the workplace and the government, when immigrants come to this country they should fully realize that "they aren't back home"

Allah is no better than Jesus, treat them both equally.
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +517 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

It's not like this is the first time anyone's sued over facial hair or religon, Harry. Maybe you tend to miss some it for some reason, though. I can't imagine why, of course.

Orthodox Jews claim discrimination over beards

3 EMTs say Pikesville Volunteer Fire Co. won't let them go on emergency runs
    December 24, 2009|By Matthew Hay Brown | matthew.brown@baltsun.com
    The beard that Matthias Goldstein has worn since high school - full, but trimmed short - didn't seem to be a problem during his first 15 years as a medic with the Pikesville Volunteer Fire Co.

It didn't prevent him from answering thousands of calls while staffing Saturday nights at the Baltimore County firehouse, or serving as an instructor in basic life support, advanced life support and EMT recertifcation, or being named the company's paramedic of the year in 2003.

But now his beard is at the center of a legal dispute over fire safety, religious practice and - Goldstein believes - rivalry between neighboring volunteer rescue agencies.

Earlier this year, Goldstein and two fellow Orthodox Jews were told they could not ride on emergency calls because their beards might interfere with breathing masks that the Pikesville company was considering buying for its medic corps.

The three men - Goldstein, Avi Gross, a paramedic recruit who hadn't begun to ride with the company, and Avi Green, a medical technician who was denied a job - maintain their beards in obedience to Torah injunctions against "rounding the corners of the head" and "marring the corners of the beard." Shaving, they say, is not an option.

After months seeking some sort of accommodation - months in which, Goldstein says, other medics were not required to wear the Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus - they have filed complaints with the Maryland Commission on Human Relations and the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

Orthodox Jews claim discrimination over beards - Baltimore Sun

New York City has settled a lawsuit with an Orthodox Jewish nurse who was denied a job at a city hospital because she couldn’t work on the Sabbath.

The Wall Street Journal reports the city denied any wrongdoing in settling the case for $40,000.

Alisa Dolinsky had filed the lawsuit against Color-Goldwater Specialty Hospital & Nursing Facility on Roosevelt Island.

Dolinsky said she was offered a job at the hospital in 2007, but that it was withdrawn after she said she couldn’t work on the Sabbath. Observant Jews don’t work from sundown Friday until sundown Saturday.

Read more: City settles discrimination lawsuit with Orthodox Jewish nurse Alisa Dolinsky - NYPOST.com
  5. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

This is America not the middle east, adapt or get out.
  6. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -2

and yet you continue to focus only on immigrants and Muslims :rolleyes:

Allah is "no better" than Jesus, I agree. And Jesus is "no better" than Allah. And believing in either is neither better nor worse than believing there is no god.

btw, you and others like to talk about assimilation when it comes to immigrants these days -- and to an extent I agree with you. But I think you often overestimate the extent to which past immigrants tended to assimilate. It's usually been a multigenerational process. Irish, Italians, whoever -- it's not as if they've instantly shed all their old ways of life and become "Americans" (whatever that means). And that's good -- it has added to American culture.

(My great grandfather and great grandmother immigrated here from Italy. My great grandfather was a criminal -- gangster early 1900s. My great grandmother never learned to speak English despite living here for the majority of her life. Not ideal, but far from uncommon.)
  7. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

I focus on "Illegal Immigrants" I focus on Muslims who are Fanatic Haters of Americans (there are plenty of them) I defend and respect the ones who are not.
  8. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -2

bs. You post all the time about "Muslims" and do so almost entirely in disparaging terms. There is no differentiation in your posts except when you occasionally claim there is.
  9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +890 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

Religion should be separate ... if we are supposed to be a society where religion and law are not to be mixed then it should be that way across the board. If one's job duties require certain physical requirements then you conform to the job or seek employment elsewhere. We should not have any labor or safety laws that conform to religion. If things are required by 100% of the employees then so be it ... IMO.
  10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

Exactly, keep ALL GODS out of the workplace, the government and the public schools ALL GODS--ALL GODS---ALL GODS

We all now know that the Bleeding Heart Liberal Do-Gooder would rather set themselves on fire than offend a Muslim but what is good for the goose is also good for the gander.
    Allah Is No Better Than Jesus (sorry loons but that is realty
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  11. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -2

and harry again shows he only cares about Muslims :rolleyes:
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +890 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

Burqa fetish ... :gossip: .... keep it a secret.
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

The thread is about a Muslim suing his employer because the employer won't let him bring his religion into the workplace, the Muslim believes the employer should change his company rules because of the Muslims religion.

Bullsh!t.
  14. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

you mean america isn't the land of the free?

figured as much :D
  15. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -2

Now you're just going in circles.

My dogs don't do that anymore...