PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
WE NEED TO RE-SIGN OR REPLACE THE FOLLOWING

OL VOLLMER, THOMAS
WR WELKER, EDELMAN, BRANCH
CB TALIB, ARRINGTON
RB WOODHEAD
=============

We have about $20M in free agency and 3 top draft choices to spend. I would expect to use he draft for a DL, a DB and an OL. I would not expect major contributions from any position this year unless I picked two players in one unit (as we did last year in the defensive front seven).
============
Some would not consider Woodhead a priority, a mistake IMHO. It seems that we will need to sign or re-sign at least 6 players to non-minimum contracts. How would you allocate the $20M?

Yes, understand that we may have more or less than the $20M depending on various decisions. $20M seems like a good starting point.

BTW, I presume that we will retain any RFA's or ERFA's as we almost always do.

Re-sign Welker/Talib to 2 year deals
Re-sign Arrington/Edelman/Woodhead/Hooman if they come cheap
Draft the following(listed in order of importance to me, not where/when to draft):
1a. Safety
1b. CB
Need at least depth at these positions. Someone who can step in at outside CB if Talib/Dennard goes down so Arrington doesn't have to move from nickel back. CB isn't as big a need if Glass-IR Dowling stays healthy for once and proves to be a solid backup outside or starter if Talib isn't brought back. Safety depth is a need since CHung likely/hopefully walks and ideally would like an upgrade to Gregory. This also isn't a need if Tavon improves enough next year to prove to be starting caliber.

2. WR
Needed for depth, Branch is done and hopefully not needed next year. Lloyd/Welker don't have many years left, ideally a replacement would be nice.

3. OL
Draft an OT for depth in case Vollmer isn't brought back. I would be fine with Cannon at OT next year. We seem to have good depth inside.

4. LB
Draft a coverage LB. Not necessarily a need if Fletcher stays healthy and proves to be an option.

5. DL
Inside pass rush option. Not a need if Armstead is the real deal and has that flexibility.

I think the team is in solid shape and can fill its needs without spending a boatload. I said it before, I believe we are one decent draft away from being a potential juggernaut in '13 and '14. Even if we can't fill all 5 needs, 1 or 2 of the higher ups on the list will probably still get it done whether it be through draft or Wilson/Ras-I stepping up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots