Welcome to PatsFans.com

Using Our Resources

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mgteich, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +493 / 37 / -7

WE NEED TO RE-SIGN OR REPLACE THE FOLLOWING

OL VOLLMER, THOMAS
    WR WELKER, EDELMAN, BRANCH
    CB TALIB, ARRINGTON
    RB WOODHEAD
    =============

We have about $20M in free agency and 3 top draft choices to spend. I would expect to use he draft for a DL, a DB and an OL. I would not expect major contributions from any position this year unless I picked two players in one unit (as we did last year in the defensive front seven).
    ============
    Some would not consider Woodhead a priority, a mistake IMHO. It seems that we will need to sign or re-sign at least 6 players to non-minimum contracts. How would you allocate the $20M?

Yes, understand that we may have more or less than the $20M depending on various decisions. $20M seems like a good starting point.

BTW, I presume that we will retain any RFA's or ERFA's as we almost always do.

2. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Re-sign Welker/Talib to 2 year deals
    Re-sign Arrington/Edelman/Woodhead/Hooman if they come cheap
    Draft the following(listed in order of importance to me, not where/when to draft):
    1a. Safety
    1b. CB
    Need at least depth at these positions. Someone who can step in at outside CB if Talib/Dennard goes down so Arrington doesn't have to move from nickel back. CB isn't as big a need if Glass-IR Dowling stays healthy for once and proves to be a solid backup outside or starter if Talib isn't brought back. Safety depth is a need since CHung likely/hopefully walks and ideally would like an upgrade to Gregory. This also isn't a need if Tavon improves enough next year to prove to be starting caliber.

2. WR
    Needed for depth, Branch is done and hopefully not needed next year. Lloyd/Welker don't have many years left, ideally a replacement would be nice.

3. OL
    Draft an OT for depth in case Vollmer isn't brought back. I would be fine with Cannon at OT next year. We seem to have good depth inside.

4. LB
    Draft a coverage LB. Not necessarily a need if Fletcher stays healthy and proves to be an option.

5. DL
    Inside pass rush option. Not a need if Armstead is the real deal and has that flexibility.

I think the team is in solid shape and can fill its needs without spending a boatload. I said it before, I believe we are one decent draft away from being a potential juggernaut in '13 and '14. Even if we can't fill all 5 needs, 1 or 2 of the higher ups on the list will probably still get it done whether it be through draft or Wilson/Ras-I stepping up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.