PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

User feedback, self regulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emoney_33

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Can't we implement some sort of suspension policy based on user feedback? The majority of posters here can sense a troll and worthless posters who had nothing to the board but fill it up with useless threads. The "reputation" system should be altered to dish out automatic suspensions.

Like the xbox live community, when a person gets too much negative feedback they get suspended, or their voice privileges taken away etc. This type of regulation usually works well, and too much negative feedback from your peers should result in suspensions. Or even just take away privileges like removing ability to START a thread or something.

I like the idea

I agree and recommend that the START THREAD privelege should be reserved for those without a red flag reputation.

Can't we implement some sort of suspension policy based on user feedback? The majority of posters here can sense a troll and worthless posters who had nothing to the board but fill it up with useless threads. The "reputation" system should be altered to dish out automatic suspensions.

Like the xbox live community, when a person gets too much negative feedback they get suspended, or their voice privileges taken away etc. This type of regulation usually works well, and too much negative feedback from your peers should result in suspensions. Or even just take away privileges like removing ability to START a thread or something.

Bad, Bad, Bad Idea.

The only thing left will be homers. Sure the trolls might be banned, but others who wonder if Maroney is actually the "boy in the bubble" may be banned as well. No one is perfect, not you, not Bill Belichick. Go join his fan club.

The haters are annoying, but policies like this make it seem like the board is adopting a "groupthink" mentality....

No there's plenty of room here for criticism of Maroney (example - runing outa bounds costing us a key 1st down) and others. Nobody gets 'red flagged' for that stuff.

Folks get flagged for posting the SAME ranting topic time and again.

+ 1 . Great idea.

another enhancement request would be to hide quotes from users on your ignore list in addition to their posts ( if it doesn't impact performance of the site). many of the posters on my ignore list are there because most of their posts involve responding to and quoting trolls.

Last edited:
No there's plenty of room here for criticism of Maroney (example - runing outa bounds costing us a key 1st down) and others. Nobody gets 'red flagged' for that stuff.

Folks get flagged for posting the SAME ranting topic time and again.

You're right. They should just give me absolute power to regulate these things....:D

I don't think their a vBulletin option like that.

I have admin on a site similar to this and I'm pretty sure the reputation system is just for fun.

The only auto-ban I've ever seen is for moderator infractions

I feel if it's not broke don't fix it.

Case in point, Patsfans.com is growing quite fast, and I would consider the best Pats message board on the web. Why mess with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree and recommend that the START THREAD privelege should be reserved for those without a red flag reputation.
Before we sell Ian on that option, we may want to ask that reputation feedback no longer be anonymous. I'm sure I'd have been deep in the red during a certain period of troll hunting, and I prefer to know who is commenting, especially for the rare good note. I'm also not sure whether Ian has the reputation system limiting the number of rep 'points' you can give a day - that was one way UT slowed down the crazy rep crowd over at Planet.

Case in point, Patsfan.com is growing quite fast, and I would consider the best Pats message board on the web. Why mess with it.

**GASP!**...I'm in agreement with Jets fan....life as I knew it is now over...

Bad, Bad, Bad Idea.

The only thing left will be homers. Sure the trolls might be banned, but others who wonder if Maroney is actually the "boy in the bubble" may be banned as well. No one is perfect, not you, not Bill Belichick. Go join his fan club.

You seem to be claiming you are not a "homer", and you have a green box...

There are many valid arguments and respected posters who criticize things about the Patriots that aren't redboxed and wouldn't get "banished" by his peers. It's the morons like B2M who do nothing but stir up trouble that would get their privileges revoked.

Could you find me a red-boxed poster who is not deserving of that red box?

Case in point, Patsfan.com is growing quite fast, and I would consider the best Pats message board on the web. Why mess with it.

You are an example of how it would work... A Jets fan without a red box :D

Also to the poster above you regarding vBulletin. I don't know the logistics of this system, but it doesn't have to be related to the already existing reputation box. I don't know how hard it would be to add new software to the system or what not, so this is just an idea that may or may not even be plausible.

Eh, best solution would be to not give them the attention they want, and eventually they'll get bored and go away. When they get a reaction that's what keeps them coming back. I've never been for forcefully taking away someone's priviledge to post somewhere unless they really cross the line.

I like the thread starting idea though.

Last edited:

There are many valid arguments and respected posters who criticize things about the Patriots that aren't redboxed and wouldn't get "banished" by his peers. It's the morons like B2M who do nothing but stir up trouble that would get their privileges revoked.

I am not a homer. I am a long time Patriots fan. I see what I see and thats what I see.

Not sure what the box thing is all about?

I see 3 or 4 people who could be cut back on what they are allowed to do. They seemed to have joined when Brady went down and are not Patriot fans. I could name names :D

There are quite a few actually, Wildo is just one of a few that come to mind...often, as B_O_R mentioned, troll hunting can rack up some bad rep in a hurry.

There are 14 members with red reputation on this board.

bevster (VIP Donator)
BradyToMoss
BradytoMoss09
BRiZ
GJAJ15 (VIP Donator)
I Am DUNGY
jcdavey
KillEM
Lifer
mesoslo
newton_tom_cat
Patters (Moderator / VIP Donator)
TheComeback
Wendel

I do not deserve to be banned nor should anyone who donates money to the site. He'll even a moderator is in the red.

There are 14 members with red reputation on this board.

bevster (VIP Donator)
BradyToMoss
BradytoMoss09
BRiZ
GJAJ15 (VIP Donator)
I Am DUNGY
jcdavey
KillEM
Lifer
mesoslo
newton_tom_cat
Patters (Moderator / VIP Donator)
TheComeback
Wendel

I do not deserve to be banned nor should anyone who donates money to the site. He'll even a moderator is in the red.

Damn, been here 2 years and did not know that we had colors based on posts. Who decides what color you are? :D I like blue, could I be blue?

If you have a complaint about a poster just use the triangle to report the post. You may also want to mention who you are talking about since sometimes it's hard to tell. There are many trolls who are removed but with their posts removed you may be unaware. But, we do check all reported posts and act accordingly. This will not change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes