PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

USC OLB/DE Nick Perry Visits Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched both Perry and Mercilus today on those youtube cut ups. Have to say, I thought Mercilus was more impressive than Perry. Perry is a downhill guy only - he has only one thing on his mind - getting to the QB. This enables him to be pushed past the QB time after time. On the other hand, whilst Mercilus lacks the explosion of Perry, he's a much more heads up DE, better at evaluating in play. I feel like he's a better fit for the Pats, at least in what they've prioritised in the past - they may be targeting different skillsets now of course.

The problem with Mercilus is he only had that one year of production. BB has been quoted as saying he basically won't even look at a guy in the 1st round with only 1 year of production. I like him, but unfortunately because of this I think you just gotta cross him off the list.

The problem with Mercilus is he only had that one year of production. BB has been quoted as saying he basically won't even look at a guy in the 1st round with only 1 year of production. I like him, but unfortunately because of this I think you just gotta cross him off the list.

I don't disagree but then I don't think any pass rusher (except maybe Upshaw) is worth taking in the first round. But does that mean Brockers is off the Pats board too? He was only a backup in 2010.

I think Upshaw and Perry are almost the same player with Upshaw being slightly better everywhere except speed, so either of them would be great. Upshaw is more savvy, has better technique, and is more of a bull. Neither of them are going to give up ground when they're engaged. I would be happy with Upshaw at 27 but not Perry. Trade to a Fleener drooler if your guy isn't at 27. With Upshaw you have an elephant from day 1. Perry is a maybe but I worry that he's Gholston 2.0 because he is a beast, but his awareness (or OTG's wording: processing speed) is not with Upshaw's. Not sure Perry's hands are good enough either.

Mercilus is more slippery. The tape shows him defending the run by shooting gaps and sliding around blockers instead of engaging. He's got the moves, and he's greased lightning around the corner. I'm just not sure there is enough of a disparity in his ability over Irvin's. I can't buy into Mark Anderson 2.0 at 27 or 31 when Mark Anderson 2.0 with rocket shoes is in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I don't disagree but then I don't think any pass rusher (except maybe Upshaw) is worth taking in the first round. But does that mean Brockers is off the Pats board too? He was only a backup in 2010.

I don't see us trading up for Brockers. If he's there at 31 and is rated better than any other players on board we draft him. No sense in getting cute and trying to trade back 5 spots to follow some rule.

Vinny Curry isn't considered a 1st rounder by many but that's never stopped BB. Curry has 2 years of big production, is a team captain and just had a great combine. You never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back