PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

USC DE/LB Everybody here is sleeping on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsandTrojans55

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Just an FYI for those who are looking at an OLB who can do some of it all. Pass Rush, Cover OLB or ILB and Special Teams Demon.

Remember The name Clay Matthews #47. That's all I will say for now. He will be around in the 3rd early 4th and is high on a certain teams radar.
PT55

Correction. I see in the LB Thread some of you have talked about him. Good. Keep a close eye on his workouts.
PT55

Great pedigree.. talk about being born to the breed..

Great pedigree.. talk about being born to the breed..

Yeah, but those genes took a while to actually take:

As a junior at Agoura High, Matthews was 6-1 and weighed about 165 pounds. His body ached from growing pains and his father, the team’s defensive coordinator, declined to start him.

“His mom was giving me the business, but he wasn’t ready,” the elder Matthews said, chuckling. “He wasn’t very big and he wasn’t very strong.”

Matthews continued to grow during his senior season but drew interest only from local community colleges.

Rather than pursuing that route, Matthews told his father he wanted to walk on at USC, where brother Kyle was a walk-on safety in 2003.

“I knew I was capable of playing with the best athletes in the nation,” Matthews said. “I thought I could come in here, day one, and be the guy.

“Maybe I was crazy to have that mind-set, but obviously that’s better than saying you can’t.”

I dunno, but doesn't that remind you of someone else? :)

Last edited:
Just an FYI for those who are looking at an OLB who can do some of it all. Pass Rush, Cover OLB or ILB and Special Teams Demon.

Remember The name Clay Matthews #47. That's all I will say for now. He will be around in the 3rd early 4th and is high on a certain teams radar.
PT55

Not everybody as it turns out...

Aside from the novelty of Belichick coaching both father and son, Matthews has quickly gone from Cassel status at USC to an overhyped draft riser. A lot will depend on the combine (have no idea how he will test) but I wouldn't even think about calling his name until the 5th round. The 2009 draft will likely be very deep and Matthews doesn't have the production to justify going higher.

Not everybody as it turns out...

Aside from the novelty of Belichick coaching both father and son, Matthews has quickly gone from Cassel status at USC to an overhyped draft riser. A lot will depend on the combine (have no idea how he will test) but I wouldn't even think about calling his name until the 5th round. The 2009 draft will likely be very deep and Matthews doesn't have the production to justify going higher.

The draft isn't just about production. Its also about potential. If college production meant a damn thing in the NFL, then the likes of Ryan Leaf and Ken Sims would be Hall of Famers.

Now, I am not saying that Matthews is all that. However, to say he's not worthy of anything higher than a 5th round pick is silly. Especially when he's been a solid 3rd round projection since the beginning of the year. Not sure why you claim that he is an "over-hyped draft riser" because I haven't seen him "RISE" on draft boards at all.

Mathews is also a strong ST player which we can use - not sure we're going to have a lot of room for more young LB next year though.

The draft isn't just about production. Its also about potential. If college production meant a damn thing in the NFL, then the likes of Ryan Leaf and Ken Sims would be Hall of Famers.

Point taken, but Potential - Production = Risk. The draft is about risk/reward management and college production plays a significant (but not the only) factor in that.

Now, I am not saying that Matthews is all that. However, to say he's not worthy of anything higher than a 5th round pick is silly. Especially when he's been a solid 3rd round projection since the beginning of the year. Not sure why you claim that he is an "over-hyped draft riser" because I haven't seen him "RISE" on draft boards at all.

Good special teams guy but just didn't get on the field much in meaningful situations until this year...and that was only because of injury at LB and because PC likes to put linebackers at end. He is over-hyped because of his name and colors. He is rising because...well, because he was ranked much lower than he is now.

I can't speak to your observation that he has been a top 100 player since January. I don't think I've ever seen him ranked at all until recently. You do see him mentioned at a possible top 100 player now, but I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone ranking a player as a top 100 prospect before they started their first college game (not even sure how much he has started this year).

USC is a stud defense and Matthews has played well now that he has gotten an opportunity to get on the field. From what I've seen (admittedly not a lot), it seems like he plays end a lot. While he has created quite a bit of havoc from that position in college, I don't see him playing there on Sundays.

I didn't say he wasn't "worthy" of being a top 100 pick...I said that I wouldn't take him in the top 4 rounds because it is looking like a deep draft and Matthews has a limited amount of action to evaluate. Dude is surrounded by superior talent and USC hasn't had to deal with much resistance on their schedule. Matthews may be the 2nd coming of his dad, but there are likely to be better options available on draft weekend until well into the afternoon on Sunday.

I want Rey Maluaga but i dont know if he will be available when we draft.We need someone who can rush the passer and be a a LB.I see us draftin another LB then probably a CB or safety and then maybe a DE.We need a whole new looking defense for next year.

PT55

He sounds just the group of Solid backups / JAGs the LB core is riddled with.

The Pats could use someone who can get to the QB (Everett Brown, Selvie, Orakpo maybe Cushing, maybe Johnson although I think he is a 4-3 end, etc. etc.)

I don't think they need a bottom of the rotation LB in the 3rd or 4th round, prefer they look at TE or OT/OG.

I actually did an entire blurb on Matthews but got 0 response on him. I guess most people aren't interested in him because he's not considered a 1st day pick. The hype tends to go to the freakish athletes that will likely go in the top 32 but we've gotta remember that there ARE 6 other rounds to the draft. Heck we've even picked up some good UDFAs this year that weren't even taken in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes