Welcome to PatsFans.com

USC DE Armond Armstead - this year's Marcus Cannon

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by MrNathanDrake, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrNathanDrake

MrNathanDrake Rookie

Ratings:
    +79 / 4 / -3

#95 Jersey

Armond Armstead 2012 NFL Draft Prospect Video 6-5, 295, DE USC - YouTube

6'5 290lbs.

Pats were at his pro day and he's been in foxboro for a visit.

Big time recruit for USC. Explosive and fast for someone his size. Killer instinct and a natural athlete.

Sat out all of last year due to undisclosed health reasons. Says he was healthy all along but USC kept him out as a caution.

My guess is he was at foxboro getting a medical check up. If he's good to go, Pats take him in the 3rd or 4th rd. Belichick loves these players that slide due to injuries or health issues.
    (Brandon Tate, Gronkowski, Marcus Cannon)
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  2. Armchair Quarterback

Armchair Quarterback Rookie

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -2

#37 Jersey

According to CBS/NFLDraftScout

"He spent five days at USC hospital after suffering chest pains that apparently were related to an illness he had felt for a couple of weeks."

And

"Doctors have cleared Armstead from any heart condition maintain that his health is a non-issue."

Armond Armstead, Southern California, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
  3. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +61 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

He looked pretty darn good in that clip. Got a nice punch and he was whipping those tackles around like rag dolls. Disengaged and shed the blocks and got a nice little swim to his move. Nice find there. Sounds like a typical BB move that shocks the populace into a uproar and then turns to gold.
  4. Wilfork#75

Wilfork#75 Rookie

Ratings:
    +90 / 5 / -1

#75 Jersey

I really like Armstead and I was extremely disapointed when he didn't play in 2011. He's a guy with all of the potential to be a top 3-4 DE in the NFL, but he never lived up to that potential at USC. I thought 2011 was going to be his breakout year, but it wasn't to be. Before the season I though he was a 3rd/4th rounder, now I would be surprised to see him drafted. The combination of medical concerns, not playing for a year and lack of consistency on the field would make it difficult for a team to spend a pick on him. I do really like him as a developmental player though, and I wouldn't mind spending a late round pick or signing him as an UDFA.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.