PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Usain Bolt-The next Bullet Bob Hayes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedylb

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Did you have visions of this kid in a Patriot uniform when he pulled up in the last 10 meters of the 100 meter final-and still broke his own world record?

Before you die laughing, once upon a time the Cowboys drafted another unrefined World's Fastest Man in the 7th round. Bob Hayes, also a gold medalist, went on to have a great career for Dallas as a wide receiver and KR.

Bolt is 21, 6'5" with huge paws. On a fly pattern he'd make Asante look like Big Vince. And with Randy Moss, he would learn from the best. Whaddaya think?.

Great quote from Patriots past that will answer this.

Never saw someone run a 4.3 40 with someone in their face (paraphrased)

Did you have visions of this kid in a Patriot uniform when he pulled up in the last 10 meters of the 100 meter final-and still broke his own world record?

Before you die laughing, once upon a time the Cowboys drafted another unrefined World's Fastest Man in the 7th round. Bob Hayes, also a gold medalist, went on to have a great career for Dallas as a wide receiver and KR.

Bolt is 21, 6'5" with huge paws. On a fly pattern he'd make Asante look like Big Vince. And with Randy Moss, he would learn from the best. Whaddaya think?.

No. When I saw Husein pull up in the last 18 meters and start showing off by putting his arms out and what not, i thought " That guy has an ego and is just as bad as the wrestler who walked off during the medal ceremonies"

No thanks.

For every Bob Hayes there is ,I can name 10 "Track Guys" who couldn't even catch a cold.Long time Patriots' Fans remember Eddie "Hands" Hinton.He was as fast as the wind but He couldn't catch the ball if it had a handle on it.Track speed doesn't always translate into Football Speed.

Yeah, but, can he change direction?

Just because Bolt is the fastest man in the world doesn't mean he can open up enough space between Fernando Bryant and himself in a 30 yard span for Brady to fit a ball into.

Yes, speed matters in football. No, football doesn't matter in speed.

For every Bob Hayes there is ,I can name 10 "Track Guys" who couldn't even catch a cold.Long time Patriots' Fans remember Eddie "Hands" Hinton.He was as fast as the wind but He couldn't catch the ball if it had a handle on it.Track speed doesn't always translate into Football Speed.

True dat...as someone from Minnesota...the Vikes drafted a receiver by the name of Troy Williamson who was supposed to replace Moss. Boy what a bust he was...great great speed...no hands...hehehe...

Everybody's saying no from the NFL's perspective. I'll switch up and say no from Bolt's perspective.

Hayes ran track during an era much closer to to the true "amateur" label. Today, a top international track star like Bolt can earn impressive sums being just what he is -- the greatest sprinter in the world. Why start from the bottom in a new sport (and take licks from Rodney Harrison to boot?)

Everybody's saying no from the NFL's perspective. I'll switch up and say no from Bolt's perspective.

Hayes ran track during an era much closer to to the true "amateur" label. Today, a top international track star like Bolt can earn impressive sums being just what he is -- the greatest sprinter in the world. Why start from the bottom in a new sport (and take licks from Rodney Harrison to boot?)

Because if you have an ego as big as his you want EVERYONE watching you....not just the hundred or so track fans in the stands. And I dont think Rodney would have much chance to hit him unless he was being held by someone else...

To get a little OT here, someone on radio pointed out that there might be a very good reason for Bolt to "pull up" that way: there are European track meets that pay significant amounts of cash for setting world records. So, if he set a 9.59 at the Olympics, he might well have gained some measure of immortality, but immortality doesn't put food on your table. :)

Similarly, there's a reason Jeff Samardzija is a pitcher, not a WR right now--he can make much more money for, relatively speaking, much less punishment on his body. If for no other reason--there's no way Bolt would get $20M unless he showed he could catch a football--I don't see Bolt becoming an NFL player.

[BTW--interesting fact: 40 times tend to be less than 4/10 of 100-meter times, so Bolt should have a 40 time of under 3.9 seconds.]

Because if you have an ego as big as his you want EVERYONE watching you....not just the hundred or so track fans in the stands.

You say this as an American. Go to Europe then tell me that nobody watches the likes of Usain Bolt, or that he'd be a bigger star as a kickoff returner.

You say this as an American. Go to Europe then tell me that nobody watches the likes of Usain Bolt, or that he'd be a bigger star as a kickoff returner.

Yeah. And I bet soccer is big over there too....

Point taken, then allow me to point out that he didnt pull away from the competition til about 50-60m.....and even TB cant throw it that far.

Because if you have an ego as big as his you want EVERYONE watching you....not just the hundred or so track fans in the stands. And I dont think Rodney would have much chance to hit him unless he was being held by someone else...

Patchick is correct...we in the United States have just no idea how big track and field is over in europe and elsewhere...these track stars make a boat load of money after they turn pro...

I love America and I love football, but ... really! Would you like to guess what the relative world interest is between the Olympic 100 meters final and the NFL?

Last edited:
[BTW--interesting fact: 40 times tend to be less than 4/10 of 100-meter times, so Bolt should have a 40 time of under 3.9 seconds.]

Fastest estimate I've ever seen is 4.1 seconds, for Maurice Green. Bolt might be in the 4.0x range.

Hehe, this is a pretty funny take on the typical 'Guy who just got released will look good on the Patriots.'

Fastest estimate I've ever seen is 4.1 seconds, for Maurice Green. Bolt might be in the 4.0x range.

Are you talking about running the 40, or a 40-yard split in the 100 meters? I'm not arguing you're wrong, BTW--in fact, it might be that the idea that you're accelerating over that distance might make my lofty claim currently impossible (but the basic fact remains that the world records do get disproportionately larger at long distances).

Y'all made some solid cases against, but Bolt still makes my mouth water. Probably a pipe dream, but what if he had Welker's hands and football instincts?

I know, you can't build champonships with pipe dreams and what ifs. But it's still fun to dream...

Y'all made some solid cases against, but Bolt still makes my mouth water. Probably a pipe dream, but what if he had Welker's hands and football instincts?

I know, you can't build champonships with pipe dreams and what ifs. But it's still fun to dream...

If that were the case, a bunch of us would probably get some wild horses to drag him kicking and screaming to Foxboro. :D

Straight-line track speed doesn't account for all that much UNLESS he can catch while running AND can deal with contact. Hayes and Willie Gault were track guys who made it work; Bolt isn't even an American who grew up around football.

He does have a great name, though. I'll bet the Chargers would love to have him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes