USA Today Punks McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.

QB12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
From their Inside Slant following the Miami game:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/patriots/home.htm

""The offense continues to lack imagination . . . Dean Pees is showing why he was promoted to defensive coordinator. . . The defense has shown they can make adjustments on the fly but the offense seems to be running the same plays whether they work or not. If the Patriots can't just line up and run the football, they're in trouble. Some of the blame has to be put on Josh McDaniels and the offensive coaches for lack of imagination in their play calling."

Agree?

QB12

I have been saying it for a while now.

McDoogle needs to be fired.

His brilliant run, run, pass strategy is not working as well as he had planned.

It's surprising.

Oh boy they are singing NEM's song. :singing:

QB12 said:
From their Inside Slant following the Miami game:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/patriots/home.htm

""The offense continues to lack imagination . . . Dean Pees is showing why he was promoted to defensive coordinator. . . The defense has shown they can make adjustments on the fly but the offense seems to be running the same plays whether they work or not. If the Patriots can't just line up and run the football, they're in trouble. Some of the blame has to be put on Josh McDaniels and the offensive coaches for lack of imagination in their play calling."

Agree?

QB12

NEM is writing for USAToday now? Wonders never cease. We're the 8th best scoring offense in the NFL right now, I think we're doing something right on offense. So we ran up against two defenses that could take away our strength. So what. It's not the end of the world being that we're 1-1 in those games, and 3-0 in the games where our strength prevailed.

I don't think you can say it's McDaniel's fault - Brady and some of the receivers haven't been on the same page. Also, it's only five games into the season, and they're 4-1. It was obvious to me in the Miami game that the Pats were going to play conservative on offense because they were not overly concerned about Joey Harrington and the Fins' offense. We've seen this strategy before from BB.

I'm starting to side with the camp that we have been purposely running vanilla offenses against the AFCE teams. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, b/c the offense has been vanilla at times. But with the exception of the Denver game in which Corey Dillon's absence dramatically hurt our offense, it feels like whenever we need a long, successful drive, we get a long successful drive. If BB knows we only need 20 points to beat Miami, we'll get just that.

Keegs said:
I have been saying it for a while now.

McDoogle needs to be fired.

His brilliant run, run, pass strategy is not working as well as he had planned.

It's surprising.

You're also calling for Samuel to be traded for Moss, so I'd say your ideas are worth about as much as toilet residue.

As for the conservative gameplan, they're obviously trying to give the passing offense time to get in synch, which they obviously need by the results of many of our passing plays. This gameplan has resulted in a 4-1 record.

I think the haters need to stop expecting 45 points a game and enjoy that we're getting through a period that would derail most offenses pretty cleanly.

Brownfan80 said:
You're also calling for Samuel to be traded for Moss, so I'd say your ideas are worth about as much as toilet residue.

As for the conservative gameplan, they're obviously trying to give the passing offense time to get in synch, which they obviously need by the results of many of our passing plays. This gameplan has resulted in a 4-1 record.

I think the haters need to stop expecting 45 points a game and enjoy that we're getting through a period that would derail most offenses pretty cleanly.

You gotta flush twice, buddy! :D

BradyManny2344 said:
I'm starting to side with the camp that we have been purposely running vanilla offenses against the AFCE teams. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, b/c the offense has been vanilla at times. But with the exception of the Denver game in which Corey Dillon's absence dramatically hurt our offense, it feels like whenever we need a long, successful drive, we get a long successful drive. If BB knows we only need 20 points to beat Miami, we'll get just that.

Welcome to our camp! Tuition is $500 per week. You'll get three squares a day and we have an excellent lakefront!

I think, actually I know, that our playcalling would look a hell of a lot better if the QB and WR knew where each other were gonna be most of the time.

Brownfan80 said:
Wonders never cease. We're the 8th best scoring offense in the NFL right now, I think we're doing something right on offense.

This just blows my mind. Watching those game we get frustrated with the offense. What is going to happen when everything gells? My guess is that by games 8-10 things are going to really mesh and it will be a pretty nasty offense.

As I had said in an earlier post if the Pats just use 1 or 2 gadget plays anywhere or anytime in a game AND if they find that they work at least 80% of the time it will open up the passing and running game and the vanilla offense will be no more- Remember how unpredictable the seahawks offense was in the late 80s-90s? They were a fun team to watch because they used it so often and when you least expected it - they would have won a SB during those years if their D knew how to stop opponents.

PATRIOT64 said:
As I had said in an earlier post if the Pats just use 1 or 2 gadget plays anywhere or anytime in a game AND if they find that they work at least 80% of the time it will open up the passing and running game and the vanilla offense will be no more- Remember how unpredictable the seahawks offense was in the late 80s-90s? They were a fun team to watch because they used it so often and when you least expected it - they would have won a SB during those years if their D knew how to stop opponents.
Adding plays that go for big gains 80% of the time would improve offensive results??!! Quick, send a memo to Belichick! He may never have thought of that!!

PATRIOT64 said:

This makes no sense at all. 2 trick plays per game with an 80% success rate is going to totally change our offense? What?

If the run game has been going so well why don't we hardly ever see playaction passes. Does McDaniels know what those are?

We had an OC who would run plays that went nowhere early in the game.

Amazingly, we'd run plays from the same set that blew the defense away late in games.

The call went out early and often to fire the culprit, a Mr. Charlie Weis.

Fortunately he realized he was no good and left after about five years.

Sometimes it seems the people are in awe of teams like the Colts or some of the other one dimensional teams, maybe there are just too many Peyton commercials and there is a brainwash factors.

There does not seem to be a big problem with our offense, we are 4-1, not 1-4.. the Pats have run well, but not passed as well. Many of us have said as time goes on and the new players know Brady and the playbook well then things may look smoother. Till that happens and we keep on winning, who cares about what the press says.

A few offensive stats to ponder:

Average points allowed per game by defenses faced: 19.08
Points scored by NE per game: 21.6

Average yards allowed per game by defenses faced: 317.36
Yards per game by NE: 336.8

Average TOs forced by defenses faced per game: 1.65
TOs per game by NE: .6

I think these numbers speak for themselves, but I should qualify it a little. The sample size is a little small so the Cincy game is weighted more heavily than it will be later in the season. Also, in some cases the D's faced some bad teams - Miami, for instance, has played bad offenses all season - so their D numbers are going to likely worsen as their competition improves. Unless, of course, their D improves along with it.

That said, NE has missed three FGs and has ended three games in scoring position (Buffalo, Denver - they were in FG position on the failed 4th - and Miami), so there are some "missing points" not factored in to the equation.

PATRIOT64 said:
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
worst idea i've ever heard.
I disagree with this post 100% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down