PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

USA soccer victory!!

Ciara's Dad

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
FIFA Confederations Cup in South Africa.

In this invitational tournament, 8 teams are split into 2 groups.
The USA had to play Brazil, Italy and Egypt in theirs.
Brazil were always favourites to win the group ahead of Italy. But, after a remarkable win for Egypt against the reigning World Champs Italy, it was the North African team who were favourites to go through in 2nd place with Brazil. All they had to do was beat the USA. Italy played Brazil in their last game, and hoped to beat them to go through.
Everyone forgot about the Yanks!!
If they managed to beat Egypt 3-0, and Brazil beat Italy 3-0, then, remarkably, they would go through to the semi-final. And so that is what happened in Pretoria in South Africa tonight. :D
Let me offer my congratulations to your team.

On Wednesday, they play Spain in Bloomfontein in the semi-final.
It is a massive ask to defeat the European Champions, who boast players from the best club team in the world, Barcelona. But, who knows.
The other semi sees Brazil take on South Africa. That will be a great occasion in its own right.
Make no mistake, with no other meaningful soccer happening in the major countries, the world's eyes will be on these 2 games. It is a fantastic honour for the the USA. :D
I would be surprised if the game isn't on live in America. If it is, I would encourage you all to tune in and watch. ;)

Both games are on one of the ESPN channels here. I'm stunned not just at the USA dominating against Egypt but at how Brazil dominated Italy. I'm nervous of the USA facing Spain however.

Those horn's are f'kin annoying. It's like a swarm of bees have surrounded the stadium...

Those horn's are f'kin annoying. It's like a swarm of bees have surrounded the stadium...

I'm just thankful that they don't provide 5.1 surround sound audio on the international feed to ESPN. Imagine hearing that all around you instead of the obviously stereo mix that ESPN gets. :banned:

I prefer listening to the horns than the f'kin commentators the BBC have supplied. :mad:
Mark 'Brighty' Bright telling Cannavaro how to defend. GTF!!
I'm not even going to start on Martin Keown. :eek:

The African fans are right up for it though. They look as if they are having a ball. Should be some atmosphere in the Brazil V SA game. Get your earplugs in for that one SP!! :D

Even the players hate them :D

Horns are evil...

Thier enthusiam is great, it's just the horns man, the horns. The BBC have always been the leaders when it comes to commentary teams, we've had the years of Motson getting things back to front with his partner in crime Lawrenson boring the t!ts off the nation with his random comments every 5 mins. Garth "know it all" Crooks explaining how he would have easily slotted that into the back of the net...We need commentators like they have in South America who go absolutely crazy.

But since we don't, it is indeed ear plugs or the mute button..

Last edited:
27mins gone,
USA 1-0 Spain :eek:

Americans playing very well so far and deserve their lead. A good goal.
They are certainly not overawed by the Spaniards.

Halftime
USA 1-0 Spain

The Americans still holding their own against the European Champions. Their workrate is exceptional. Spain got a couple of half chances near the end of the half, but are struggling in general to breakdown the USA defence, or should I say 'defense'. :D
As for Spain, too many English based players spoiling the Spanish style? ;)

74mins gone.
USA 2-0 Spain !!!!
Unbelieveable score. :D

Full Time
USA 2-0 Spain
A stunning result for the Americans. They end Spain's 35 game undefeated run in Bloemfontein, South Africa.
Brilliant performance by the whole team, especially the two centre halves, Onyewu and DeMerit. Tim Howard was very good in goals also.

They will now play the winners of the Brazil v South Africa game played tomorrow night.

Absolutely incredible performance by the US tonight. Onyewu - how good was he?

We were lucky to get this far - but boy did we take our chance and run with it. I was only hoping to play a good, competitive match - I never expected to win the match.

Win or lose in the final, these last two matches have to give us tons of confidence for the World Cup next summer. Go USA!!!

That was amazing. I cant believe I just saw the US beat Spain, the #1 national team in the world the last couple years. This is a great thing for the US Soccer program. Hopefully South Africa will pull an upset also and we can beat them to win the tourny and get a WC spot locked.

Great result for the USA. Dissapionted for Spain and our boys but from a Liverpool fans perspective it's great because our lads finally get a rest.

Didn't see the match, just the headline. But that says it all. Great result, stunning. Full congrats to the U.S.

I'm.... stunned. We beat Spain. Just... wow!

That's gotta be one of their all time victories for the USA...and coming off of a loss to the #41 ranked Costa Rica three weeks ago to boot.

USA was ranked #14 ranked in the world, hopefully with a win they can move up in the rankings...

Last edited:
That's gotta be one of their all time victories for the USA...and coming off of a loss to the #41 ranked Costa Rica three weeks ago to boot.

USA was ranked #14 ranked in the world, hopefully with a win they can move up in the rankings...

Those rankings don't mean all that much (unless you haven't lost in 35 matches, then #1 is yours).

Costa Rica, at home, should have been favored against the US. We've never won there.

That said, the stretch between the Costa Rica match and the Brazil match, even included the win against Honduras, were all poorly played matched. Then all of a sudden, to win these last two matches in this fashion - how incredible.

i do not follows soccer so much anymore but compliments to USA soccer team

not easy to beat Spain for sure

Confederations Cup Final

USA 1-0 Brazil
Americans 1 up after 10mins! :D
Good goal by Dempsey.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye