Welcome to PatsFans.com

US troops admit abusing Iraqis

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Terry Glenn is a cowgirl, May 6, 2007.

1. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Almost one in ten US combat troops deployed in Iraq have mistreated a civilian, according to a new survey conducted by an army mental health advisory team.

The report, released on Friday, also found that less than half of the soldiers and marines surveyed would report a fellow serviceman for killing or injuring an innocent Iraqi.

"Soldiers with high levels of anger, who had experienced high levels of combat or who screened positive for mental health symptoms were nearly twice as likely to mistreat noncombatants," Major General Gale Pollock, the acting army surgeon general, told reporters at a press conference.

bodyVariable300="Htmlphcontrol2_lblError";
    http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/C0C73A30-3BE5-4F67-B9F7-829B9F188506.htm
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Remember before the Iraq invasion, it was reported that there were troops already within their borders, I expected that.

Abu Ghraib.. I expected that also, there should be no surprise that prisoners are abused during war.

Troops abusing civilians, I also expect this as it is war, our men and women are trained to get information quickly to avoid further problems.. the issue is war, strange things happen and will happen during a time like this. Nothing like this surprises me.
  3. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +85 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

Al Jazeera as your source, nice, well at least it's not the DNC.

How many of those abused, where aiding or abeting terrorists.
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Al-Jazeera eh?

From the article:

The most common mistreatment reported by soldiers and marines was that of insulting non-combatants in their presence, the report said.

How terrible! They called them names to their faces! Crap, I've been abused in the work place my entire life then. Every coach I've ever had has been abusive too. I wonder how this type of abuse compares to that of our enemy?

I love how the story is designed to paint our troops in as negative a light as is possible. Notice the words used, and what most of these statistics represent. These soldiers are answering to hypotheticals. With if/would/should being the key words here.

The survey showed that 55 per cent of US army soldiers, and only 40 per cent of marines, would report a fellow serviceman for killing or injuring an innocent non-combatant.

Oh, and don't forget those "claims" of mistreatment. What's funny is how they don't mention that detainees openly wanted to be back under US supervision when prisons were handed over to Iraqi units.

US operations in Iraq have been dogged by claims of mistreatment of Iraqi detainees and civilians, including revelations of abuse at Abu Ghraib prison in 2004 and reports of the killing of 24 Iraqi civilians by Marines in Haditha in November 19, 2005.
  5. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I already knew that the source was almost as sketchy as CNN, Fox, CBS, NBC, and ABC...