Welcome to PatsFans.com

US says Wikileaks could 'threaten national security'

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DisgruntledTunaFan, Aug 1, 2010.

1. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

BBC News - US says Wikileaks could 'threaten national security'

US says Wikileaks could 'threaten national security'
    US troops near Kandahar 24.7.10 The White House says the records refer to a period before the current US strategy came into effect

The United States has condemned as "irresponsible" the leak of 90,000 military records, saying publication could threaten national security.

The documents released by the Wikileaks website include details of killings of Afghan civilians unreported until now.

Three news organisations had advance access to the records, which also show Nato concerns that Pakistan and Iran are helping the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Read More

2. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I for one like the web-site, this is info we all deserve to know, its our money our taxes.

Should they release things that could get ppl hurt(locations/plans)? no...
    Should they release everything else? yes...

Blood is already all over all the Generals and the President hands, should of thought about that before you decided to play backyard G.I Joe's!

3. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +227 / 1 / -0

#95 Jersey

When they (wiki) release the names of people cooperating with US/NATO forces, are they putting those people in harm's way and risking their lives? Just look at the cover of this week's TIME magazine (if you can stomach it)
    TIME Magazine Cover Explains What Happens To Afghan Women If 'We Leave Afghanistan,' But That Tragedy Is Already Occurring
    and ask if maybe he should have done some redacting before releasing the documents willy-nilly....
    The ultimate effect may be to stifle future cooperation. I'd like to see the US out of Afghanistan ASAP as I don't think it's worth the cost in men/women or materiel.

4. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Its laughable to think that Wikileaks carefully vetted all 90,000 documents. That they considered how several pieced together might reveal something critical.

5. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,505 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Heh, of course they didn't.

There's a reason things are classified sometimes and a reason why intelligence analysis is becoming a booming career field. People get so caught up in conspiracy theories that they don't realize the importance of secrets for the safety of informants or the execution of sound statecraft, which has its own safety considerations.

I suppose the comparative value one places on Afghan informants and their families/friends versus the perceived need of the public to know the dirty little secrets of combat will determine where one stands.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  6. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +252 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

And new blood may be on the hands of Wikileaks. I don't think you or I can know what leaked info winds up killing people or not. "They started it" is not a very good rationalization.

7. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,505 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

But it remains the rationalization of choice for demagogue idiot savants the world over.

8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,016 / 42 / -31

#24 Jersey

I think many of us know our government is not the golden white knight who's obligation is to remove all bad in the world. We've got plenty of blood on our hands.

What surprises me is that Obama has done nothing to change anything. Not a knock on him ... but a sad statement that our President is smaller than what is portrayed. We are a military state not unlike Russia and China in terms of using our military might to influence political and monetary gain.

iran wishes to be part of that group ... that will mean they are going to be taking money out of someone's pockets. That's enough at some point that a military strike may well happen.

Wikileaks really has not leaked anything many of us already kind of knew just the facts were unknown. We kill innocent people, we assassinate, we plunder and we rob ... we do all that. We use the cover of human rights and democracy as our shield. It's apparent in that we allow Israel to be not much different than their enemies. We do business with some rogue governments through other channels. We sell arms to military factions to cause upheaval ... wikileaks has just enabled us to see some of the stuff we already knew existed.

9. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Got to break a few eggs to make an omelet is what they say....A few might die but the truth is worth any amount.