Welcome to PatsFans.com

US military is paying 70,000 insurgents $10/day not to be violent

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Jan 8, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Some 70,000 former insurgents are now being paid $10 a day by the U.S. military. It costs about a quarter billion dollars a year.

Full Story:
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17899543

700k x 30 days = 21 Millions x 12 = 252 Millions per year .

Does this mean I have to put a "Support our Insurgents" magnet on my car now?
    For $5 I will not attack anyone.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,050 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

This is exactly how OBL built up Al-Qaeda ... with $$$ and alot of it coming from Saudi Arabia. Insurgents willing to die for Allah or for $$$. I think it was a bit of both. Fight fire with fire I guess. These people are destitute ... so let's face it dying is not much of a big deal when you nothing anyways. Capitalism is worldwide ... just not acknowledged.

3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

how utterly American... just throw money at the problem... just like their misguided, short-sighted reconstruction efforts... nevermind that we let countless guns and ammo to be "stolen" (distributed) all over Iraq last year...

perhaps we'll just get back to paying killers of American G.I.s to fight other killers of American G.I.s, ... and their women and children...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  4. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

from the article:

"It's a controversial strategy, and Macgregor warns that it's creating a parallel military force in Iraq that is made up almost entirely of Sunni Muslims.

"We need to understand that buying off your enemy is a good short-term solution to gain a respite from violence," he says, "but it's not a long-term solution to creating a legitimate political order inside a country that, quite frankly, is recovering from the worst sort of civil war.""

This is retarded. What is to stop these guys from taking our money and then becoming the enemy, maybe even at the same time?

5. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

more:

"That civil war has subsided, for now. It's diminished because of massive, internal migration, a movement of populations that has created de-facto ethnic cantons.

"Segregation works is effectively what the U.S. military is telling you," Macgregor says. "We have facilitated, whether on purpose or inadvertently, the division of the country. We are capitalizing on that now, and we are creating new militias out of Sunni insurgents. We're calling them concerned citizens and guardians. These people are not our friends, they do not like us, they do not want us in the country. Their goal is unchanged."
    ---

If this is true, it confirms that if things get bad enough, the US will help carve out pieces of Iraq, based on ethnic groups, that end up benefitting us through where the major oil fields are.

6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,050 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

See OBL ... we make the same mistakes and learn nothing from history.

7. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Considering what the war profiteers are making,i guess thats a good deal.
    I wonder how many days of being non-violent it takes to save up for an RPG.