Welcome to PatsFans.com

US Food Prices Spiraling Out of Control

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Leave No Doubt, May 6, 2010.

1. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Food costs have jumped the most in 26 years: Millennium Ark: Hot News

I'd imagine we can add fish prices to this list fairly soon.
  2. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Well I have 6 Fruit Tree's newly planted, and a Vegetable Garden in it's infancy...

I honestly root for High Gas Prices, and other things.... I work at home, and my wife has a 3 - 5 mile commute. So I kind of root for things to go bad in things that I have prepared for.

So if fruit goes through the roof... I'll be ready! :)

I'm just waiting for Power to spike up a ton to justify buying the Vertical Windmills I want so badly...
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
  3. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The whole food crisis is being engineered.
  4. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:eek: jk, I completely realize you didn't mean that like it sounds but indeed, we've been warned about the sh*t hitting the fan for some time now but only a few have paid attention. Anyone who hasn't been paying attention or anyone who blew it off as some kind of agenda-driven rhetoric probably wasn't very smart.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +352 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Of course it is.
  6. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Scarcity's always worked. Unfortunately. However for many people a piece of fruit could become a luxury. Numbers of food stamp recipients are rising all the time, more and more people depending on the govt just to eat. Those who "have their own" so to speak will be better off than those who don't.
  7. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Well Look... It took a huge Financial Meltdown to wake people up to the fact that you don't need that 57" flat screen TV to replace your 51" Plasma...

I think the "Market" tricke dus into thinking food was cheap, by sending jobs overseas and shipping back tons of "cheap" food, well that money has no raised the level is living in those areas, makes it a bit more expensive, and now with Oil and other concerns making it even more expensive to ship food back.

Were looking at a perfect storm that when it fails, will blow up in our face.

The Fruit Trees, and Garden really has nothing to do with food prices, I just have a great yard, and to me it makes sense to put it to work...
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

Very strange because these increases are definately NOT due to increased production or delivery costs. I think it's more of a case of retailers, distributors and growers trying to make more money.

I highly doubt demand is up much...and prolly still down compared to the 2004/2005. Unless it's weather related.

Because there are zero signs of any major inflationary period as of today.
  9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

If Barry gets cap and trade passed it will be a big hit on food prices. More expensive to grow food and get it to market
  10. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Yup. My family's always had veggie gardens (as well as flowers which I'm more into but my moon garden won't feed anybody) but I know people who've recently begun to grow their own veggies and even fruit if possible.

Paying attention doesn't require rocket science minds or even a lot of time, it just requires one to remain open-minded about the information that DOES come your way.

Now we have to decide if we all bunker down at your place or Harry's:D
  11. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

For sure. Also awhile back, maybe 5 months ago or something?- there was controversy about the diverting of water out west, away from the farmers and towards the fishing areas. I don't remember the details but I remember seeing a TV special on it. The farming families had dust bowls to work with.
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
  12. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I dunno about that. Maybe not in terms of interest rates but prices of certain essential things like food and electricity have definitely increased. Why that is is anyone's guess but some of it's probably weather related.
  13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

I was referring to a money supply/demand created inflationary spiral...there isn't much "pent-up demand" and the REAL money supply has not increased much at all.

The cost of power has increased since the recession began and China is putting some pressure on world supplies of certain resources (like coal).
  14. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +329 / 6 / -8

Look into how much of it you can get back in green energy incentives, if you haven't already. Can you sell power back to the grid where you live?
  15. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I would need quite an expensive system to generate enough power to profit from it, so I need the cost savings to be more attractiuve rather than selling power. On a purely solar system, I got a quote for 60k to make enough power for my house.

So I would need to add some major effecienies with my water heater and other aspects before I was worried about trying to sell power back.

However, I was thinking over the weekend of working on the numbers to buy some vacant pot somewhere, buy a chain link fence around it, and install 4-6 vertical windmills. Seeing how much the total cost versus money I could generate.

I also am not sure I can "sell" back the power or, simply exchange them for credits....
  16. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Democracy Now! | Headlines for May 10, 2010
  17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +187 / 7 / -23

As food stamps are a program of the Dept. of Agriculture, and founded for the dual reason of supporting farmers as well as families.. maybe the demand for goods with increased funds for buying food has driven up the price..

It may that unintended consequences again..

Personally grow as much as we can, buy from local farmers when we can..
  18. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +329 / 6 / -8

Keep me posted McGraw... how these numbers play out will determine much of this country's future. Lately I know a lot more people from every walk of life looking into panels and turbines and the like.

60K to power the house - including the kilowatt guzzlers like the fridge, AC, and computer - might cost out over 15-20 years I suppose (assuming no tax incentive, and assuming 200-300/mo. electric bill saved.) That's still a questionable sell unless you're building/buying "THE" house, the one you'll stay in and raise your kids in.

That calculation changes as the cost of electricity goes up, or as incentives are applied (like tax advantages.) Or, as the price of the technology goes down (which can happen either through innovation or through economies of scale - chicken and egg, in other words.)

Seems to me like a lot of people are ready to take the plunge as soon as they can justify it.

Anyway, I'm hugely interested in hearing whether this plays out... PM me on it will you?
  19. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

and amazingly enough, every thing on the dollar menu is still just a dollar...makes you wonder
  20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +187 / 7 / -23

The movie, "Food Inc.", which is an indictment on the big food argument, makes an argument that it is less expensive for a family of 4 to eat at BK or McDonald's than to buy the evening meal from the supermarket...