Welcome to PatsFans.com

US Fascination with "Phones"...Reflects Simpleton Mentality

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Sep 24, 2012.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

Read this sad headline this morning....

(Reuters) - Apple Inc sold out of its latest smartphone, with more than 5 million iPhone 5 sold in the three days since it hit stores, the company said on Monday.

Americans could just keep the cell phones they bought 2 years ago....but nope, they gotta have the latest & greatest.

We all see people staring obsessively at their "Phones" everywhere we and they go. Airports, automobiles, buses, trains, walking down the street oblivious to the world going on around them as if what is on their phone is important... even when 95% of the stuff isn't important.

Hey America....you don't NEED phones to get by in life and you do not live on your phone. Phones have nothing (as in NADA) to do with life.

But go ahead....get in that long line so you can get you new IPhone5.:rolleyes:
  2. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +341 / 4 / -10

this is a largely liberal phenomenon
  3. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

To me, personally, this is dumb. Nothing towards you, just the concept. Apple has done a great job in marketing their products and it shows with their sales. As a huge Apple fan, I'm also getting the new iPhone 5 and I've had my 4 since it dropped. My upgrade isn't until February so I'll wait.

Its just having new features that provide more convenience and yes, some of the "gotta have the new stuff" mentality. Nothing wrong with loving technology and the changes that come with it.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  4. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

Sure, as long as one knows it's just not important or essential to life.
  5. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

How mobile tech can influence our brain

"Nowadays, attention to even the most pressing of matters can be interrupted at any moment by a familiar buzzing in the pocket -- a friendly nudge to "pay attention to me!" that many find virtually impossible to resist, even while driving on busy roads.

These frequent and unplanned interruptions, coupled with growing expectations for immediate responses, challenge our cognitive control system at its very core."

How mobile tech can influence our brain - CNN.com

Don't let this be your child....

Attached Files:

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +573 / 2 / -9

I can't understand these idiot's that walk around in the supermarket with those things stuck in their ears blabbing and spluttering while they're buying milk, no matter where you go today the dumbed down fools are walking around with those little things stuck in their ear or they are punching shlt into them while they walk into poles or walls.

I'M OLD AND I'M GLAD I'M OLD
  7. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

I resent this whole post. It's inaccurate and misleading.

I didn't have to wait in line for my iPhone5. I preordered it and had it delivered right to my door. ;)

Sorry. gotta run, I have a text message coming in............
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 10 / -26

Would think that the "Doomsday Economic Crowd" would welcome the news..

It is what it is, a technologically advanced communications device that appeals to a certain demographic..
  9. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +210 / 3 / -4

I would guess age is far more of a differentiating factor than political leanings.
  10. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +341 / 4 / -10

nope.....I know plenty of people my age who have smartphones if I lined them up, I'd bet you there is a huge tendency for the iphone users group to be much more liberally oriented than the android crowd like me.
  11. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +210 / 3 / -4

ah, you're talking iphone v android, not "smart phones" in general
  12. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

People who buy their 11 year olds iphones aren't good parents.
  13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

Point being that no cell phone is essential or important.

Need to have laws outlawing their useage in many areas. Either that or re-educate our society on what is important.

We have zombies walking around not paying attention to what is truly important.

Face to face is where it's at....always has been, always will be. You need to tell someone something important....talk to them...don't text them.

I'm loving this!!!
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +295 / 10 / -26

How about the children who come home and there are no landlines, as the family relies on cell phones exclusively..

How about the children who take busses, public transportation and subways to school, and their parents want to monitor their safety..

How about the children who take part in an activity or have sometype of appointment, they need to call after the event..

Have you ever looked for a pay phone, they do not exist..

You should not judge parents, not everyone fits your mold.
  15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +295 / 10 / -26

Just what we need are more paternalistic laws telling us what we and our children can and cannot do..

You are usurping parental authority and responsiblity by involving the states..

Let the parents decide, they know what their kids need..
  16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 6 / -2

You'll love this.

First Look: iPhone 5 - YouTube

I don't know that anyone can actually quantify the political leanings of iphone users. What we can safely say I think, is that iphone users are a large, and broad group, that likely includes a lsizable number of younger aged, would be liberals. that being said, the irony that makes me chuckle, are all the tree hugging, labor right lovin, corporation hatin fools who pimp their iphones and ignore the fact that they were built in chinese sweatshops where workers kill themselves over the conditions they're subjected too.
  17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

Get them a very simple flip phone that only makes PHONE calls Darryl. Not too complicated is it?
  18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

Sorry RW...I refuse to click on that link for fear I'll become a simpleton.

Tree-huggers/worker's rights activists....all communicating on iphones!!.....:rolleyes:

My main point/theme is that we have people who sit overnight in LINES waiting to buy meaningless sh1t like this. I can see waiting in line to buy a house for $99k or a new car for $5k.

It's just a refection of how messed up our values have become. Buying sh1t has never been that important....but too many people are dillusioned and brainwashed to the point they're convinced it is important.

My company finally made me take a company iphone. I hate the thing! All I use it for is to make a phone call when I'm on the road. I don't respond to emails on it because I'm NOT available 24/7...never have been, never will be.
  19. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +163 / 7 / -13

Kids get fascinated with must have items, they vary over time for guys cars, stereos, a pc and so on were must have items, now it is the smart phone, women of course are into smart phone since interpersonal communication is so important to them.

My kids use their smartphones largely instead of their computers. and camera and old cell and home phone, so from an roi pov even thought they can cost a lot they are cheaper than the variety of devices they are replacing..
  20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 6 / -2

This country is #$$%ed pal.

The link is a clip of Jimmy Kimmel where he takes an Iphone 4 and goes downstairs onto the street, telling passers by that it's the new Iphone 5, asking what they think. Meanwhile the iphone 5 wasn't out yet. Basically they're all like "wow this iphone 5 is amazing". Some are even holding their own iphones in their other hand.