Welcome to PatsFans.com

US Envoy to Iraq: Time is running out

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mikey, Mar 26, 2007.

1. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/26/world/middleeast/26cnd-iraq.html?hp

BAGHDAD, March 26 — The United States ambassador to Iraq, Zalmay Khalilzad, offered a sober assessment of the outlook for the country at his final news conference today.

Although his comments were dressed in the carefully muted language of diplomacy, Mr. Khalilzad’s overall message was that Iraq faced profound troubles and that American patience for helping Iraq deal with those problems was dwindling.

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -2

The NYT article:

[I]BAGHDAD, March 26 — The United States ambassador to Iraq, Zalmay Khalilzad, offered a sober assessment of the outlook for the country at his final news conference today.

Although his comments were dressed in the carefully muted language of diplomacy, Mr. Khalilzad’s overall message was that Iraq faced profound troubles and that American patience for helping Iraq deal with those problems was dwindling.

In his opening statement, his most optimistic evaluation was only a little hopeful. “Success,” he said, is “still possible.” [/I]

So the NYT is putting a misleading and negative spin on the context of his words regarding Iraq? How surprising. :rolleyes: Anyone reading the headline would automatically assume that he means failure in Iraq is imminent because "time is running out" when in fact, the time he's talking about is that of the American voters, and who he's talking about it too are the Iraqi leaders. This is so typical of MSM reporting on the war. It's why I wouldn't wipe my azz with half the "news" these outlets report.

Here's what Khalizad actually said:

Khalilzad said he believed Iraq was heading in the right direction but cautioned that Iraqi leaders must understand that U.S. voters were increasingly impatient with the war.

"I know that we are an impatient people, and I constantly signal to the Iraqi leaders that our patience, or the patience of the American people, is running out," said the Afghan-born Khalilzad.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/11386156/detail.html

Now, tell me where you see his complete words inside the NYT article.......
    that's right, you can't cuz they're not there. Hmmm....I wonder why? :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  3. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

They report, they decide
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Sounds like the Ambassador was warning the Iraqi's that the dems are trying to cut and run.