Welcome to PatsFans.com

US Defense Budget more than the combined defense expenditures of next 17 countries..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Dec 27, 2010.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +188 / 7 / -23

While there will be endless diatribes about entitlement programs, why not start with the out of control spending in the DOD.. while there is discussion about sustainability of any government expenditure, nowhere is it more unsustainable than in the DOD.. Defense spending consumes 58 % of our budget.. time to rethink out priorities and do something a lot different.. but not sure it will ever change as the puppet masters in the military industrial complex may not want it to change..

Military madness has ruined my country..

Britain's Military Cuts: When Will the U.S. Follow Suit? - TIME

Some very concrete suggestions...

Strong and Sustainable

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +346 / 1 / -9

Re: US Defense Budget more than the combined defense expenditures of next 17 countrie

As Obama's ex spritual advisor (Uncle Jeremiah) would say "God Damn America"

:singing:
  3. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: US Defense Budget more than the combined defense expenditures of next 17 countrie

But but but its just so much easier to blame the poor! 58%.....is crazy and its out of control....its going to bankrupt us.....

We can't feed or give health care to our sick and poor but we have enough to blow up some stuff with million dollar missiles.....what a ******* joke!

Edit: Mr.Obama is just as bad as Bush......he's a complete failure, change you can believe in? How about more of the same.......They all want to play G.I Joes in the backyard but none of them want to pay for it.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

The 58% figure you love so much is incorrect or a lie if you will Defense spending as a % of TOTAL government spending in the US is ~15%.

So your question is a false choice.
  5. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Link? Info? I can say the sky is green but that doesn't mean its green....;)
  6. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 2 / -1

If you're trying to say it's only 15% of all government spending (all levels), your post is closer to the lie, as it at best is poorly worded and at worst is intended to deceive.

If you're claiming it's 15% of Federal spending, perhaps you could provide a source to back your claim given that you're calling daryl wrong a liar. (and dary could provide a source too if it's not in the link)
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +188 / 7 / -23

My question cannot be a false choice.. my question can be a question, but as I did not ask a question it cannot be a question.. .. but that is not important.. here is my source.. yours???

Read it and weep, one thing for sure it ain't 15%.. that is for damned sure.

More than 50% of US Government Spending Goes to the Military
  8. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

[FONT=&quot]I did read it and that "58%" figure is referring to discretionary spending, not mandatory spending which makes up 2/3 of the total budget, or as your own link states,
    >>>>>[/FONT][FONT=&quot] "[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Also see discussion at How Are Our Federal Tax Dollars Spent? which shows that the military budget is one-fifth (21%) of our total budget: <<<<<
    His numbers are closer than yours, and most intellectually honest.

[/FONT]
    Please note, this is from YOUR link!!!

[​IMG]
  9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

I specified ALL government spending that includes state and local government as pointed out in other post even looking at just federal spending the figure of 58% is a joke.
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Spending in the context of the budget is not the only measure that looks (and is) absurd. Comparison with the world as a pct of total spending and comparison with the next military powers that we are supposedly defending ourselves against is just as relevant. We spend well over six times as much as China and we own a 43% share of all military spending in the world.

Those are facts and they are absurd in context of discussions about killing domestic funding for infrastructure and programs for the disabled.

List of countries by military expenditures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  11. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 2 / -1

so as I thought might be the case, you decided to cite a different measure than he was referring to, alluded to that only vaguely and while doing so decided to say darryl might be lying? Talk about intellectually dishonest.

This forum just continues to get more useless.
  12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

No problem:

US Federal Spending 2010 - Charts Tables History

this is for the 2008 budget year, you can get the figures for other years at the links, the figures for defense spending as a 5 of GDP have decreased since Barry took office.
  13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

One thing to consider though is where those nations GDP's, or overall budgets fit versus ours. We use the most fuel, spend the most money, and have the largest military. So is it proportional to an extent? I'm more or less wondering because I haven't looked at any numbers.

One point I'd like to make, ok well maybe two, is that whatever it is we spend, it's too much IMO. Spending needs to be slashed in all area's, and one of those is absolutely all things military. The second point is that I honestly don't care what other countries spend. I don't care how much they tax, what age they let people marry, nor what regulations they impose on either corporations or citizens. Basically, I pay attention to what they do, but I only care about what works best for the USA. If that means we spend more than those countries do, then so be it. What I don't want is what we have now, which is blank check MIC spending. It's unsustainable people.
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +188 / 7 / -23

So you offer nothing except your opinion.. even after it has been shown that as a country we spend more than the next 17 countries...

Where is the proof.. maybe here????.. http.rightwingthoughtpolice.com

The reality is that you do not want to know the truth..
  15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +188 / 7 / -23

These are the facts folks.. it ain't 20% which is what the right wing thought police want you to believe..

More than 50% of US Government Spending Goes to the Military

Indepth report..

Federal Discretionary and Mandatory Spending - National Priorities Project | Bringing The Federal Budget Home

More..

The Federal Pie Chart

Cost of Iraqi War..

The true cost of the Iraq war: $3 trillion and beyond

16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

Sorry fellas but not matter how many of those links and charts you show, the bottom line is that military spending is not 50+% of the budget. The "discretionary" portion of the budget maybe, but not total government spending. The annual budget is $3 trillion+ I believe.
  17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +188 / 7 / -23

It is what it is.. people can parse percentages, however bottom line is that our defense budget more than the combined defense budget of the next 17 countries.. and a major reason why we are in the economic doldrums...

Defense Spending Is Much Greater than You Think: more than $1Trillion a year Wake-up Call

18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

It is unsustainable...much like everything else the US does. Our consumption, pollution, trade deficit, military projection, debt, you name it. There's very little we do that isn't over the top and detrimental in the long run. Nearly everything we do is economically, environmentally and politically unsustainable. When you consider what is "sustainable", the effects on and reactions of other countries in the world is very important to consider. Nothing we do happens in a vacuum and we can only gauge our activities against those of other consumers, polluters, and producers...not to mention the militaries of the world. What is the price we are willing to pay for our so-called "world dominance" and how far will other people be willing to get told what to do with their resources and lives.

I know that's an unpopular position in terms of nationalistic points of view, but it is the reality. Supression and nationalistic pride causes people to react violently. Nazi Germany under the Treaty of Versailles and Imperial Japan's expansion come to mind. Another one of those would be pretty costly as well.
  19. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The only thing this forum is good for is messing around with people who can't really figure things out too good. There used to be better posters but they've left or been banned a long time ago.
  20. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

I agree that too much is spent on the military. It is long overdue to bring the troops home from the 100+ countries where they are stationed. Can't Germany protect itself now?

But Britain desperately needs to spend a lot of dough for its nuclear deterrence and updating its nuclear-powered subs. But it's just transferring money away from its military into the social spending side.

Did you know our embassy in Baghdad is larger than Vatican State? I'm not interested in America being an empire.