Welcome to PatsFans.com

US Considering Investigating Lance Armstrong For Fraud

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by apple strudel, May 26, 2010.

1. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It's summer so I guess it's time for some lighter PF fare. Most here are probably aware that Floyd Landis accused Lance Armstrong - he of the gaudy yellow bracelets seen on Texans everywhere - of systematic doping. Now the Feds are looking at investigating Lance and his former US Postal teammates for fraud stemming from using their sponsorship money to pay for dope.

For those still inclined to worship heroes on TV, there really is almost no doubt that Lance is a doper. There are any number of eye-witness accounts, covered up failed tests, suspicious donations to the UCI, suspicious hematocrit levels at the end of grand tours, and other activities that point to a pretty systematic pattern. In fact, almost all pro cyclists (athletes) are dopers, even today. It's just the way it is due to the money involved.

So to make this PF related - should the US investigate Lance, the most famous American athlete with one testicle? Or is this much ado about nothing and we should just let dopers dope? On a side note, I recently watched Bigger Stronger Faster and was surprised by the ambivalence it had about doping. To me it's a pretty clear issue: you're cheating everybody if you dope.

U.S. mulls expanding Lance Armstrong probe to fraud - More Sports - SI.com

Edit: SI is running a story on it in the May 31 issue. Here's the link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/magazine/05/25/lance.armstrong/index.html

Edit: the guy leading the investigation is Jeff Novitsky, the same guy who brought down BALCO, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Marion Jones. Watch out, Lance.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +383 / 3 / -15

My personal opinion is that anyone who takes strength enhancing drugs like HGH, steriods, etc. is a drug addict....JUNKIE!

Seriously, I can't believe how many kids are taking them these days and I find that sickening. If I had a kid who was a star athlete, I'd make him take tests to make sure he's not taking the crap.

3. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm torn on this issue. On the one hand, I think if someone wants to poison their body to earn money, they should be able to. On the other, I don't want our children to view that activity as a net positive for them.

4. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

The more obvious question is why the USPS is sponsoring anything when they are billions in the hole. Ever notice how whenever a company gets the naming rights to a stadium or goes heavy into sports promotion, it's a 50/50 proposition whether they will go belly up....

5. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It's a perfectly valid point ... for another thread. ;)

6. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Touche..
    Whether Armstrong is in trouble probably depends on how the contract was written. If it simply said " USPS gives $X to promote USPS, he might be okay" If it says that the money is to be used specifically for x,y and z, then there could be trouble.....if it was misused as for doping products.

7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +524 / 6 / -2

The wristband raises money for cancer research, which is why millions of people outside of Texas wear them too.

When Lance Armstrong tests positive, then I'll certify that he's a doper. Until then, the only thing that's certifiable, is his being a 7 time Tour de France champion. Armstrong could very well be the Jose Canseco of cycling, but it's tough for you to say he's a certain doper, when he's only an accused one.

8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The wristband comment is the sort of thing Apple Strudel says where he just can't help but put his foot in his mouth.

9. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Am well aware. It was a quip, not an argument.

Please note that I said "almost certain", and for good reason. Unfortunately testing negative is not really proof of anything other than the very well known fact that the cheaters are well ahead of the testers. Mark McGwire never tested positive for PEDs.

10. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Oops! Wrong again! I've been biking and following the sport most of my life, have read books by and about Lance, among others, and obviously understand the stated purpose of the livestrong foundation (I mean, why would I point out that he's only got one ball if I had no understanding of why that is the case?).

Otherwise how would I know the name of the cafe in Mellow Johnny's and what it means, as well as what Mellow Johnny's means, and what the hell Mellow Johnny's is in the first place?

You are the best poster!

11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 11 / -27

Either he is a truly extraordinary athlete, or a complete fraud.. until we actually know the truth it is all conjecture...

I do not think it is one of those things that US should investigate, it will cost too much and have little result.... see the Bill Clinton investigation.

This being from a liberal who does not believe that the government is responsible for everything...

12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +524 / 6 / -2

Yes, but Maguire wasn't subject to the type of testing that Armstrong has been subject too. The players union didn't, and doesn't, allow specific forms of testing. I do see your point, don't get me wrong. It's just not a one size fits all, between the different sports, and tests.

13. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It's true, Armstrong is tested more. But more ineffective tests still doesn't add up to a clean athlete. In cycling you want to look at hematocrit and hemogloblin levels during and after a grand tour. Bradley Wiggins published his last year and you saw what you expected: they went down as the tour progressed. If you look at Lance's (they were leaked and a Dutch researcher famously analyzed them) they stay the same or increase. Why didn't he fail the new blood profiling tests? It's hard to say, but a lot of people think that it's because he brings so much money to the tour, which he certainly does.