Welcome to PatsFans.com

US cities may have to be bulldozed in order to survive

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by NEPatriot, Jun 12, 2009.

1. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

US cities may have to be bulldozed in order to survive - Telegraph

I don't know where the people will go if Obama bulldoze their cities. We will see many empty lands. It sure reminds you of America in 1920.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  2. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I actually think this is a good idea..........I've always believed in urban renewal.........

the biggest problem with the idea is that the politicians will dole out the empty land to their cronies
  3. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,269 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

Will this be before or after Obama goes door to door taking children away from families so that they can be cannabalized?
  4. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

you could not possibly shove your head further up your own arse on this one......

this is actually a very valid notion to bring up........
  5. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Absolutely, as I understand it, a czar will be appointed to delegate soldiers to splash red paint on certain neighborhood doors.
  6. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

7. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Just read an article yesterday where investors were buying up home in bunches. I browsed a little, but those homes for $12,000 were not for me.
  8. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

if you can swing the long term investment, could pay big
  9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,039 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Many moons ago Buddy Cianci and Joe Paolino former Providence, RI mayors started doing this in blighted areas. Also tearing down housing projects (big apartment size) and building smaller condo like buildings for public housing. It was a great idea and Providence renewed itself. South Providence was real bad ... drug infested prostitute laden areas where nobody, not even the destitute wanted to live.

Shrinking a city is a very excellent idea ... and it has proven to be worth it.
  10. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Did Cianci and Paolino own the construction co. that tore down the buildings and hauled away the ruble.

Not for nothin, but when i saw the names Ciance and Paolino it sounded kind of shaky. :p
  11. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Hey with an Imminent Domain policy on steriods, these property seizures should be a piece of cake. Get the land for almost nothing, bulldoze it to nothing and put in some pretty condos - a free flower pot on every window cill.

A great way for politicians and their lackeys to make an extra buck or million. Throw in a free month of socialized health care, just to sweeten the deal.

Yes, the change we've always wanted.
  12. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is nothing new...it's just another version of "urban renewal" that takes land away that doesn't "look good" and remakes it into things like parkland and condo complexes that don't really generate all that much increased income for the cities- just changes their image.

It's like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, it's just hiding the problem from view.
  13. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

BS. It's a bad idea that doesn't work- rarely has except to line the pockets of a few at the expense of the general public
  14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +377 / 3 / -15

Whenever you hear the words "think-tank"...be concerned...VERY concerned!:mad:

Imagine people thinking they actually have the ability to think better than others about what's best for the people of these cities.

When I hear the words "Think-tank" I envision the sound WEEI uses to blow people up...theoretically of course.
  15. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Sorta like what they did in New Orleans? Or the fishing villages that dotted the coast in Banda Aceh? Good chance to cleanse the land of undesirables and whip up a little commercial/corporate zonage.

Naomi Klein wrote a book about this kind of "opportunity" that disasters and economic devastation present to privatization... It was called "Shock Doctrine."

Con men love it. It gets "developers" filthy rich, while "ethnically cleansing" the sprawl at the same time.

"In devastation, there is always opportunity"
  16. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

You know with property values tanked, it is a good opportunity for investors to buy up large parcels of available real estate. Un fortunately with any investor or developer you dont get to see the end game until the end. Hopefully, those private entities will be able to rebuff some downtrodden areas. With municple budgets tighter than ever, private individuals will be responsible for upgading or cleaning up portions of our cities and suburbs.
  17. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +508 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I don't have a problem with this but given that most of the areas that should be bulldozed are poor and many of them are "black", this will get really ugly. When they start bulldozing black areas (it won't be just black but it largely will) . . . well that will be interesting.
  18. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

in health care, there is opportunity, also

there's corruption in everything that goes on.............there are portions of these cities (detroit for one) where large areas are near deserted....and there's no need for the buildings or any kind of redevelopment......it ain't LA........the best thing would be to just level it and return it to its original for which was fields or woods....there are lots of commercial areas that will never be needed again.....it would make sense to discard them
  19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I ultimately don't have a problem with that.... What I have a problem with is Milton Friedman disciples reaping huge profits off the displacement and dislocation of poor people.
  20. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +377 / 3 / -15

I agree with you on this all the way. I hate people profiting off others despair. The worst example to me is Haliburton. I'm sure we're probably aligned on that as well.