Welcome to PatsFans.com

US Bombs Accidentally Kill Civilians and Children.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by wistahpatsfan, Jun 20, 2011.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

First:
    NATO denies new Libya claim of more civilian deaths in air strike http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nato-regrets-its-first-civilian-deaths-in-libya/story-fn7ycml4-1226078797756

And then:
    NATO: Libya Airstrike May Have Killed Civilianshttp://www.npr.org/2011/06/19/137281971/libya-nato-airstrike-kills-9-civilians

But finally:
    NATO admits Libya air strike led to civilian deaths
    TRIPOLI (Reuters) – NATO has admitted it destroyed a house in Tripoli in which Libyan officials said nine civilians were killed, an incident likely to sow new doubts inside the alliance about its mission in Libya...

"NATO regrets the loss of innocent civilian lives and takes great care in conducting strikes against a regime determined to use violence against its own citizens," said Lieutenant-General Charles Bouchard, commander of NATO's operations over Libya.

NATO admits Libya air strike led to civilian deaths - Yahoo! News

When you throw missiles into any city, no matter how "carefully", civilian deaths are not "accidents". An accident would be if a plane flying overhead had a bomb fall off the wing and it fell on a city below.
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +534 / 2 / -9

Bush is gone, we don't give a sh!t who gets killed, we have to go thru Sarah's E-Mails again, we may have missed something.
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 5 / -2

August 2007 - Wapo

Behind the scenes, Obama's rival campaigns buzzed about his statement uttered Monday during a campaign stop in New Hampshire when he was asked about his plan to move troops into Afghanistan.

5. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I hope you're not suggesting that a politician didn't deliver on a campaign promise...
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +534 / 2 / -9

7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

Get the f... out of Libya, Afghanistan and Iraq..
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +534 / 2 / -9

Not this Righty, Louis Farrakahn is one of the worlds most despicable RACISTS, all I was pointing out was that even Obama's old friends are finally seeing what a PHONY he is and always has been.

The "LOONS OF THE WORLD" wanted to Put Bush and Cheney on Trial for War Crimes over things like this, where is the Left Wing Anti War Outrage Now?

Farrakahn is a filthy racist bigot who happens to suddenly realize that his old friend is full of sh!t, just another GW Bush politician.

YOUR RIGHT ABOUT "GETTING OUT" AND I'M PROUD OF YOU FOR STANDING UP AND SAYING IT.
    GOD WILLING
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +534 / 2 / -9

Hussein Obama Is A War Criminal

Louis Farrakhan Publicly Calls Obama "A Murderer"

God Willing
  11. Roland

Roland Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Does Obama have blood on his hands?
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Yes. He has committed a war crime IMO. Lobbing bombs into urban areas are bound to cause innocent deaths.
  13. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +875 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

i am shocked ... seriously shocked at the military Obama ... who woulda thunk it?
  14. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -9

Wistah, I do not say that it's an unsupportable position, but you do have to be ready to condemn the allied bombings in WWII just for starters, all the way through to the present, regardless of who the bomber is, to hold the above position.

That said, once again, it may essentially be the only moral position to hold, ultimately. The question is whether one holds it consistently.

If not, one is in the position of weighing justifications.

To Roland: yes, of course Obama has blood on his hands. He's the president of the United States. George II did, Clinton did, George I did, Reagan did... I'm not sure anymore where Carter did, but I'm sure he did -- and he's chiefly remembered as being too much of a wimp concerned with human rights.

It it less or more blood? Is the bloodshed rising or decreasing? Seems to me our combat role is over in Iraq, and the residual force is smaller than the previous occupation force. Seems to me in the next few days we may get major troop drawdowns in Afghanistan. Seems to me Obama got NATO to handle the lead in the Libya adventure, for what seems to me pretty solid "humanitarian" reasons.

It also seems to me that we'll have a hell of a time convincing ourselves we're not a superpower anymore (after all the instant-pacifist right winger hand ringing is over.) That's what it takes though, if you want the blood off your hands.

Might be worth it. I'm not countering you or supporting you, I'm more wool-gathering.

PFnV
  15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +338 / 3 / -13

I'll summarize my opinion of the USA as a super power as follows;

There is a man known to be "the toughest guy in town" but everyone hates him because he's always beating people up.

One town over, there is a man everyone says is the toughest guy in town, but he's never fought or beat up anyone except for that bully from the next town over and everyone loves and respects him.

That's about it....
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Which one are we?
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Jimmy Carter never fired a shot during his presidency.

You put up a false premise that I must be consistent in condemnation which I automatically reject. My position applies to this case because there was no agression by Libyans against the United States. Comparing our actions in Libya to ours in WWII is apples and oranges because of that fact. WWII can easily be justified as self-defense (although I recognize the opposite arguements) while this can't, and neither can Vietnam, Korea, Iraq I and II, Grenada, Lebanon, Panama, Nicaragua (have I left out someone?)...

The book on WWII is closed. Libya is open.

Unless you're referring to the indescriminate nature of bombing itself. But that has to clear the first premise to even begin. I think long-range bombing is cowardly and counter-productive when a better solution would have been boots on the ground. We did it to get Bin Ladin. If the objective in Libya was to get Khadaffi, then why don't we just go get him? I'm not advocating that by any means. Just saying.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011