Welcome to PatsFans.com

US births break record; 40 pct out-of-wedlock

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

This is another example of the failure of the Reagan revolution, the Christian Coalition, and the religious right-wing in general. These people basically argued that we should keep kids in the dark about sex. They opposed sex education, funding of abortions, programs that support birth control, making condoms available to teens, etc. Remember when they pushed out Jocelyn Elders because she talked about masturbation? These narrow-minded nuts who ran the country for a generation have failed in a fundamental goal of their so-called family values.

US births break record; 40 pct out-of-wedlock

"The birth rate rose slightly for women of all ages, and births to unwed mothers reached an all-time high of about 40 percent, continuing a trend that started years ago. More than three-quarters of these women were 20 or older"
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +395 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Give it up Patters, this is why I call you a Partisan Hack. This number is horrible but it's not Reagan, Christians or Republicans fault. Why not blame Liberals for making it seem advantageous to have more kids ? Honestly, you are the biggest joke.
  3. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +571 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

It's all the fault of the first 57 days of the Obama Administration. ;)
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

In a way, this does go back to society as a whole during the early 80's when Reagan was President (not just his fault), a society which decided to stop federal funding for mental institutions and treatment of disturbed and psychotic people on the street. Also, the nationwide child-molestation scare that painted a picture of children being molested and abducted on every street corner in America. That was the end of kids being outside all day until the street lights came on. Summers spent at the ballpark playing pick-up games with JUST KIDS were over. Bike rides with three or four friends as far as you could go and back for dinner were out of the question.

I blame parents who work two jobs (because they THINK they have to in order to have all the stuff their friends and relatives have. They have also been brainwashed by advertisers and TV shows (same thing) who say they need these things. Meanwhile, they dope their kids on videogames and Ritalin and make sure there's an adult to hover over them every second of their lives. No free time is available for kids and teens to work out their social organization. No sports are possible without adult supervion and organization. Any offenses (smoking, drinking a few beers, kissing or touching) are dealt with by extreme consequences by the surrogate parents. Condoms and birth control are not available and are often discouraged.

On top of all this pressure, when a girl gets pregnant, there are virtually no consequences except that their future is blown to smithereens. But what teenager is concerned about their life ten years forward? Most are trying to get laid without protection becauise there is nothing else fun to do. Parents pretend they have things covered and their kids are "secure" but they aren't.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

You seem to be cherry picking. Why not point out other things in the article like many people just live together without getting married and choose to have children or that he highest rate was with Hispanics.........who by the way likely have large numbers that were "educated" in Mexico. BTW they chose life which ironically is a no-no for many pro-choicers.
  6. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

listen to the libbies blather on!!!!!

For a variety of reasons, it's become more acceptable for women to have babies without a husband, said Duke University's S. Philip Morgan, a leading fertility researcher.

Even happy couples may be living together without getting married, experts say. And more women — especially those in their 30s and 40s — are choosing to have children despite their single status.

anyone who is laying political blame regarding this issue is pure idiot
  7. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

You mean it's not due to global warming?
  8. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Gee, and I remember a past President in the oval office who smoked cigars while an intern was smoking him. No big deal though, it was just sex. At least Reagan and the Christian Coalition had/has family values.
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I think it's pretty clear a goal of the right wing was to strengthen the nuclear family, reduce out of wedlock births, and get kids to behave according to a narrow idea of "responsible."

I'm not condemning out of wedlock births. Liberals don't. For most liberals, what's important is that whether married or not, people act responsibly by using birth control, having abortions (if really necessary), or becoming good parents to their kids. But, the right-wing wanted to accomplish something else, and they failed. The right wing wanted to stop out-of-wedlock births and thought by keeping kids in the dark they would become more, in the narrow minded sense, moral.
  10. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Your premise if flawed. The above statement is entirely inaccurate.
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Now, it's completely accurate, though I'm talking primarily about the religious right.
  12. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +395 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Right, which doesn't make them responsible for MORE out of wedlock births.

I am in the general case. Out of wedlock means a higher chance of a one parent family. And while many one parent kids do great, the stats show that they are at a disadvantage. It's clear and obvious that we should encourage two parent households. And the two parents being married helps that.
  13. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

No, it is a completely ignorant statement. Rather insulting too. Only a complete moron would believe that the religious right does not want children educated about sex.
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I didn't say they're more responsible. I merely said they failed.
  15. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Not about condoms, not about birth control, not about abortion, not even about masturbation. (Remember when the right wing forced Jocelyn Elders out because she talked about masturbation?) The right wing wants children educated about abstinence, but that's about it.
  16. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +571 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

Bristol Palin's mom says hi.
  17. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I'm a liberal. I don't condemn people who have premarital sex, have children out of wedlock, and so on. This is not a liberal failure. In fact, assuming these kids grow up healthy, they will serve to support the liberal tolerance on issues of this type. It's the religious conservatives who always feel that if you don't act like them, society will collapse. It is a failure by their measure, not by a liberal measure. By way of analogy, the religious conservatives are also failing with regard to gay marriage and domestic partnership. That's another area where liberals are winning.
  18. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Conservatives don't condemn the people. They recognize that all humans are flawed. They do however condemn the BEHAVIOR, dbig difference Patters. They are concerned about the negative impact that children amd mothers living in single parent households face. They recognize that children (especially boys) have much more difficult time in life if they don't live in 2 parent households.
  19. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

That's why liberals say society should be more accepting and supportive of kids who grow up in single parent households. By providing daycare, education, health services, job training, after school programs, and so on, these kids will have a better shot at growing up healthy. Also, I don't know the statistics, but working with with the chronically mentally ill, it strikes me that most of them came from two family homes that were messed up in various ways -- a military father who was never at home, an abusive father, alcoholic parents, a parent who died tragically at a critical age, and so on. I'm not sure what studies have been done comparing the success rate of kids from single parent vs. two parent homes, but I think the bottom line is about the quality of the parent and the ability of the parent to find the time to build a solid foundation with his/her children.
  20. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Wasn't it just after the Regan era that the vice president was ridiculed for criticizing Candace Burgan (Murphy Brown) for glamorizing single motherhood? It seems to me being single mom is not only not a failure(your word Patters), it is a badge of honor for liberals.