PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Urban Meyer says Tim Tebow still hopes for a career in NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never used know words to hang myself. You never confronted any Tebow Naysayer like you did me. Why? Because they share your same views. Do me a favor put me on your ignore list ok.

Don't duck out on the question. What was the rude name I called you? I'm curious.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...some-guidelines-second-half.html#.UzpVGMeprR0

small excerpt from Ian's post

I'm instituting the "If you can't say anything nice to a certain poster, hit the ignore button." I've seen a lot of condescending and downright nasty remarks in recent weeks and I'd like to curtail that moving forward. Please remember there are a variety of posters in here in terms of their interest in the game, with some who are certainly more heavily involved than others. Some fans are casual, while others spend a lot of time reading news, stats, etc. and are more informed. I think we have a good mix in here, and everyone is here to have a good time. If you can tell someone else isn't quite as "knowledgeable" as you may be, please show more patience and tolerance. All of us lead different lives and have different family and work schedules. But in the end everyone is obviously a fan of the team, and it's good to be in a place where we all share a common interest. We all need to try and remember that.

Food for thought for HerculesRockfeller and whoever else is not familar with Ian's post.

I'll tell you what...report me and let them see if I was insulting to you. All I'm asking for is a reply to the statement that *you* said I called *you* a rude name.

In fact, I'll report me if I can lol

EDIT:There, I just reported this post for you. lol

It's my opinion and I not ashamed to admit it. However, there's a good chance that I won't get you and most other Tebow naysayers to admit that alot of what you spout out are opinions.
Of course it is mostly opinion, 99% of the stuff on this board is. But there is a different between an opinion that seems supported by the facts and one that does not.

When did I claim my post was fact?

You know that Tim's the worst thing to hit the NFL based on fact or opinion?

I am actually a very respectful poster.

You don't call out AndyJohnson when he says that Steve Young's assessment of Tebow is wrong. Andy claims Steve Young's opinion wrong? Why because Andy feels that what he's spouting about Tebow is fact and that anyone that has a different opinion on Tebow is wrong.
I did not say that. I said that I find Youngs opinion wrong, and the facts do not support it. No opinion is fact. I think its cold this morning is not a fact, it is an opinion, but if its 20 degrees that fact appears to support my opinion, even though someone else might consider that warm, in their opinion.

Of course it is mostly opinion, 99% of the stuff on this board is. But there is a different between an opinion that seems supported by the facts and one that does not.

I did not say that. I said that I find Youngs opinion wrong, and the facts do not support it. No opinion is fact. I think its cold this morning is not a fact, it is an opinion, but if its 20 degrees that fact appears to support my opinion, even though someone else might consider that warm, in their opinion.

Andy, There is evidence for both sides of the Tebow argument. That's partly why there is such debate. Terrible passing stats and bad timing, and bad mechanics vs clutch wins and turning a team around. And there's more to it than that.

hope Vick goes down early. Smith is horrible as well.

I have no concern about the Jets making the playoffs. Therefore I think having Vick in the division may be helpful. The more mobile QBs we see, the better prepared we'll be against SF/SEA in the Superbowl

Andy, There is evidence for both sides of the Tebow argument. That's partly why there is such debate. Terrible passing stats and bad timing, and bad mechanics vs clutch wins and turning a team around. And there's more to it than that.

I do not agree. I see overwhelming evidence in the form of his play on the field and the fact that he is unemployed and no one is calling.
Giving him credit for wins that involved poor QB play, calling him clutch and accounting for the mysterious bad mechanics excuse are simply means of clutching for hope, not evidence.

I do not agree. I see overwhelming evidence in the form of his play on the field and the fact that he is unemployed and no one is calling.
Giving him credit for wins that involved poor QB play, calling him clutch and accounting for the mysterious bad mechanics excuse are simply means of clutching for hope, not evidence.

Yeah we don't agree. But as stubborn as I am, even I can see that there is evidence for your side.

Yeah we don't agree. But as stubborn as I am, even I can see that there is evidence for your side.

Well how could you not, no NFL team is interested in employing the guy.
You would have to be blind not to acknowledge there is a lot of evidence supporting the opinion he is not good enough to be an NFL QB, because the only real indisputable evidence is staring you in the face.

The reason Tebow hasn't been signed by any of the current 32 GMs could be for a multitude of reasons. However, what really gets me is how the Tebow naysayers want to come in and claim that they know for a fact why 32 GMs haven't signed Tebow. .

There's a good reason for that and it applies to all players, not just tebow.NFL teams have two basic goals, winning and selling tickets, although we could throw in selling merchandise as well. We know for a fact that Tebow sells both tickets and merchandise for team's so those reasons are basically off of the table because they don't apply. So if those reasons are out then why wouldn't a team sign a player on the open market?

1)Serious injury history-Example-Jermicheal Finley-he is a good receiving TE who is still young and available, however his neck issues are so significant that no team has been willing to take a chance on him. Tebow on the other hand is fine physically so there is no injury concern that is keeping teams from signing him.

2) Serious bad character-Examples-None. Ray Rice still has a job and DeShean jackson is going to be signed, and he's a really bad person. Tim Tebow is by all accounts an exemplary person, there are no character concerns with him and he is viewed by all as a good guy to have around.

3) Not good enough to play in the NFL-Examples-Every player who cannot get a job in the NFL, including Tim Tebow. Tebow has had 3 chances and has been either traded or released every time because the organization did not want him any more. He is such a bad QB prospect that no team has any interest at all in him.

Unless you have other reasons you are willing to share with us Christian Cat then the obvious reason Tebow has not been signed by any team is that he simply is not good enough. That's not conjecture that's logic. You can pretend it is bias all you want but I have laid out the logical reasons a player cannot get signed and the only one that applies to Tebow is that he is not good enough. Feel free to explain to us what the other reason or reasons could be but so far you have been unwilling to say why.

I have made a few posts in the draft forum like saying would drafting Jordan Tripp help the Pats in the linebackers area. I have made posts here and there about the Pats. However, it is not your place to dictate who is a fan and who isn't. It's not your place to dictate where Pats and how often Pats fans posters need to post to be considered a fan or to be deemed knowledgeable in football.

Don't tell me who or what I am or am not a fan of. I am very much a Pats fan, but I am also a 49ers fan, a Tebow fan etc. This post of yours is very very wrong and disrespectful. It should not concern you where, when, and how I decide to chime in on this board. You don't know me personally so you don't know how much football I know or don't know. You know very little about me.

I don't need to prove to you who or what I am a fan of. You are out of line in this post.

I have to agree with Herculeans. This is Boston not the deep South. Religion and life is seperate. Perhaps supporting a college team like Alabama would suit you better.

Boston Strong

There are many backup QBs in the NFL right now that Tim is just as good as if not better than, yet Tebow hasn't been signed. The Tebow naysayers like to act like none of the 32 GMs have recently signed any mediocre Quarterbacks and that GMs don't make mistakes when evaluating Talent.

NFL teams do make mistakes, but when all 32 teams pass on the same player over and over and over it is because they all believe they are not good enough. And while that might mean they all miss on a college kid who never got the chance that example is not applicable here because Tebow not only got a chance but was a first round pick who had chances with 3 teams, and was deemed by all 3 to not be good enough to be on their team any more. Unlike the kid who never got the chance he has had more than his share and there is absolutely nothing to support the claim that he is better than the player's currently on NFL rosters other than bias from Tebow supporters who just want to believe that.

Three teams have had extensive looks at Tebow and decided they didn't want him, and the other 29 have seen enough of him to decide that he is not good enough to warrant bringing in. Despite what you and other Tebow fans want to say he has been given as good a chance at an NFL career as any player deserves and the reason he is no longer getting those chances is because teams do not believe he is good enough. Scream bias all you want but imo he has been given all the chances and player should get and he failed, that's on him.

No, No, 32 teams are MISTAKEN! Tebow is very valuable, Billy Beane style! Moneyball works by finding overlooked players who are good at things not valued by the mainstream!

Tebow is good at...well...right now at shotputting the ball over the heads of the receivers! Or throwing it into the ground! Or taking a sack after staring down his primary receiver! For SOME reason (ahem, religious bias perhaps), GMs don't VALUE that, but they SHOULD!

Other than that Tebow just needs to get a few things straight...learn how to throw a football perhaps, learn high school level defense reading...nothing major and he's good to go! He's ALREADY better than many backups. How many backups can consistently throw the ball over the receivers heads? Huh? Well why aren't they doing it then? :rocker:

I thought this header said " Urban Legend"

Legend: Tebow can play NFL caliber QB.

debunked.

I have to agree with Herculeans. This is Boston not the deep South. Religion and life is seperate. Perhaps supporting a college team like Alabama would suit you better.

Boston Strong

How does that have anything to do with what CC said?

The reason Tebow hasn't been signed by any of the current 32 GMs could be for a multitude of reasons. However, what really gets me is how the Tebow naysayers want to come in and claim that they know for a fact why 32 GMs haven't signed Tebow. There are many backup QBs in the NFL right now that Tim is just as good as if not better than, yet Tebow hasn't been signed. The Tebow naysayers like to act like none of the 32 GMs have recently signed any mediocre Quarterbacks and that GMs don't make mistakes when evaluating Talent.

Is he better than a lot of backups? You could make that case, definitely, but I think you're misunderstanding what teams look for in a backup. Nobody's going to waste time installing an entirely different offense for their backup QB, so Tebow's only viable if he's backing up on a team that runs an offense that he's capable of excelling in. Which pretty much nobody does, since he's a very unique player with very unique strengths and severe limitations.

This is where his terrible form and resulting inconsistency really kills him. If he had dedicated himself to fixing his fundamentals to the point that he could reliably make all of the basic throws, I think that at the minimum he would have a shot at backing up RG3 once Cousins gets traded away. Tebow would be a great insurance policy for the Redskins, and he wouldn't even be asked to make a lot of complicated reads (much like Griffin isn't).

But his throwing mechanics place such major limitations on him that he's only going to succeed if you install a custom-built offense specifically for him. The 2011 Broncos were able to do it on the fly, so it's not like it can't be done, but most teams aren't going to want to do that. Especially if what they're looking for in a QB is a guy who can win a couple of games if their starter goes down with a non-season-ending injury.

32 teams will likely pass on Tebow. And I understand why when you look at some of his tape. It's not all pretty. And if you've played sports, there is someone you played who was bad on paper, but you had to watch out for when you played against them. But I think it's a mistake for some teams to pass on him. There are bottom barrel teams every year that seem to have qb's not getting results. In the least Tebow brings some energy and winning attitude. He does have some ability to improvise. He probably brings a "punch them in the face" attitude into the huddle. Which probably helps the run game. He probably brings a "we will do it" attitude during crunch time. Look at 3:49. I'm convinced there is more to Tebow than what you see on the field. It's also about the mojo a player can bring to the team. Some guys look pretty but fold every time, some guys don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY081VQqMY0

Oh, I agree with you that it was stupid of them to trade up to take him with the 6th pick. And yes, he should have been benched after his 3rd year instead of being given a new contract.

None of this contradicts with what I have said about him.

To the contrary, I'd say it's pretty clear that he should have been benched after his second season at the latest. There was a time when the college game was so (relatively) simple that you expected QBs to take 2+ years to get acclimated, but that ended quite a long time ago. These days, you expect a viable QB prospect to, at the minimum, display competence in year one and then show signs of excelling in year two.

If a QB sucks in year one, then he probably just sucks. If he sucks in year two, then he almost certainly just sucks. Sanchez sucked in year two, and that was proof that he was simply a bad quarterback, regardless of youth.

Is he better than a lot of backups? You could make that case, definitely, but I think you're misunderstanding what teams look for in a backup. Nobody's going to waste time installing an entirely different offense for their backup QB, so Tebow's only viable if he's backing up on a team that runs an offense that he's capable of excelling in. Which pretty much nobody does, since he's a very unique player with very unique strengths and severe limitations.

This is where his terrible form and resulting inconsistency really kills him. If he had dedicated himself to fixing his fundamentals to the point that he could reliably make all of the basic throws, I think that at the minimum he would have a shot at backing up RG3 once Cousins gets traded away. Tebow would be a great insurance policy for the Redskins, and he wouldn't even be asked to make a lot of complicated reads (much like Griffin isn't).

But his throwing mechanics place such major limitations on him that he's only going to succeed if you install a custom-built offense specifically for him. The 2011 Broncos were able to do it on the fly, so it's not like it can't be done, but most teams aren't going to want to do that. Especially if what they're looking for in a QB is a guy who can win a couple of games if their starter goes down with a non-season-ending injury.

The issue I have with this line of thinking is that it implies that he can just decide to fix his 'mechanics' and therefore will be an accurate thrower. It just doesn't work that way, or anyone could be a great NFL QB. Tebows limitations are what they are, and I don't understand why people keep acting like he could just magically be better if he decides to improve.
Jake Bequette has a number of flaws that we could analyze and list, but to assume that he could head to a gym and work them away is naive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes