PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Urban Meyer says Tim Tebow still hopes for a career in NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim Tebow, not Mark Sanchez, must start for New York Jets - NFL.com

Even Heath Evans knows that Tim can help a team WIN!:rocker:

Most of Tim's supporters are just trying to say is that while Tebow has flaws as a passer, he's not as bad as some make him out to be and that he could possibly improve if given the chance to do so again in the NFL. Because he is just as good if not better than many of the BACKUP Quarterbacks in the league. Thus, he should get a chance again to be a BACKUP QB in the NFL again.

Most of Tim's supporters are just trying to say is that while Tebow has flaws as a passer, he's not as bad as some make him out to be and that he could possibly improve if given the chance to do so again in the NFL. Because he is just as good if not better than many of the BACKUP Quarterbacks in the league. Thus, he should get a chance again to be a BACKUP QB in the NFL again.

He got another chance after that with his greatest supporter as his coach and he blew it as badly as a player can blow a chance. And yes, he is definitely as bad as we make him out to be, and that was readily apparent when he had his chance in New England. I have never seen anyone outside of grade school throw the ball as badly as Tebow did, he has no business playing in the NFL

Then explain to us why 32 teams don't agree with you and don't think he can make their roster even at veteran minimum?

And hopefully you will note that Manning went from 48.2% his first year of starting to 63.9% in his SEVENTH year as a starter, which is an increase of 15.2 pts over the years.

Take Tebow's 46.5% and give it a 15.2 pt bump and that would put him at 62.2%. I doubt that he would improve 15 pts, but 10 or 11 pts wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, and that would put him at around 58% give or take.

Yes, and give him 3 Lombardi's and 2 SB MVP's and he's almost as good as Tom Brady. Then give him a supermodel wife and gazllions of dollars and his life is very much like Tom Brady.

Actually, screw that, give me the 3 Lombardi's and the supermodel wife and gazillions of dollars, that makes much more sense.

Glad to see we are back to using reality as a baseline for this discussion...........................

The absolute MOST IMPORTANT thing that Tebow has to do at this time is fix his mechanics and be consistent with them. Best way to do that wasn't to sign up with the CFL, rather, it was to go work INTENSIVELY with someone like Tom House. Not a week, or two, or three, but months and months and months of work.

Will it pay off ? Who knows. It might or it might not.

W#e don't know, but I'm on your side, hopefully a team signs him because that means his fans will migrate to that team and we will finally be rid of them.

Go Tim, sign with the Dolphins.............................

Not about to read 200+ hate /love posts...but....to inject my two cents....and this has nothing to do with Tebow per se but instead what I see as the most important trait of the game day back up QB.......................
#2 QBs in general are typically limited in skill set, less prepared than the starter, and when their # gets called mid game, the speed of real time overwhelms them. I''l take a #2 that can tuck and run any day. Do I want this type of QB to be the guy to start the final 7 games of the season if #1 gets DLed....no way. But in a pinch....give me a guy with legs to get 1st downs. I refer to Cassell back in '09. His legs were his go-to asset until he settled in after a few games and the game slowed down for him.

And hopefully you will note that Manning went from 48.2% his first year of starting to 63.9% in his SEVENTH year as a starter, which is an increase of 15.2 pts over the years.

Take Tebow's 46.5% and give it a 15.2 pt bump and that would put him at 62.2%. I doubt that he would improve 15 pts, but 10 or 11 pts wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, and that would put him at around 58% give or take.
What are you talking about? You want to give Tebow credit for the improvement of another player? How exactly does that work?
And where do you get this arbitrary 10 or 11? Based upon last preseason he did not show any improvement at all.

Point is, it's silly to look at Tebow's 46.5% comp % over his first 14 starts in the NFL and conclude that this proves he isn't an NFL QB.
But no one is doing that. I am looking at his ABILITY. You will note I have never said his completion percentage is the evidence he is a bad QB, I have consistently said it is that he cannot throw the ball accurately, on top of his other flaws that you have pointed out.

As noted, Eli Manning is now at 63+% and has won 2 freaking SBs, even though he had a 48.2% comp % in his first season taking over as the starter.
And that has absolutely nothing to do with Tim Tebow. It is what Eli Manning accomplished.

BTW, since you brought Yards per Attempt into it, in Eli's first year, his Y/A was 5.3. Tebow's was 6.3.
Again, completely irrelevant.

Look, I didn't get into this discussion to rehash the entire Tebow debate. Rather, I took issue with a couple of comments that were made. Don't remember all of them at this second, by the most notable ones had to do with him having not gone to the CFL.

IF you want to go through the whole debate, that's fine, I'm game. I'll happily point out that Tebow's stats through his first 14 starts were comparable to Eli's stats though his first 14 starts.
Which is meaningless unless you demonstrate that Tebow has similar ability and can improve, which you cannot.
Your argument says that every QB who plays bad is good because you found one who turned the tables and improved.

Does that mean that Tebow definitely would follow the same path and develop into a very good QB ? Nope. But what it does show is that it is POSSIBLE. It also shows that it's silly to look at those stats from his first 14 games and conclude that he will never be an NFL QB.
It is possible for some QBs to improve. But not really possible for Tebow because he lacks the requisite skill.

The absolute MOST IMPORTANT thing that Tebow has to do at this time is fix his mechanics and be consistent with them.
This 'mechanics' euphamism for he doesn't throw the football well is old and tired. Mechanics were the excuse for his slow delivery. Now they are being made the excuse for the fact that he cannot accurately throw the football. The bottom line is that he does not throw the ball at an NFL QB caliber level.

Best way to do that wasn't to sign up with the CFL, rather, it was to go work INTENSIVELY with someone like Tom House. Not a week, or two, or three, but months and months and months of work.
Look, if your answer is that a QB who doesn't throw well should just go throw a whole bunch of passes and hope it gets better as the response to no team wanting him, I'm not sure what to tell you.
His ability has been demonstrated and no one wants him. It would seem to me that the only way to turn that around would be to go succeed on a football field somewhere and prove them wrong. I'm pretty sure you could go play in the Arena League or CFL and still work with a coach on the side.

Will it pay off ? Who knows. It might or it might not.
Not sure how it could, since no one wants him in camp.

No, he really isnt. Thats why no one has signed him.

The problem with signing Tebow to be your #2 QB is that he can not throw the ball accurately and thus can not give the defense a "good look" for preperation for the upcoming game. Imagine if your the Pats defense and you are going to play Seyton Manning on Sunday, Tues-Sat, your defending ground balls thrown by Tebow and then you think you are going to have a chance against Seyton?

BB lauded Damon Huard's work as the #2 QB, almost exclusively from what he brought as the scout team QB. Apparently he did a great Manning impression.

I'm sure Mallet gives them a good look. He is strong and can actually throw a spiral!

The #1 job of the back-up QB is to be the scout team QB for your defense, that is a job, Tebow just can not perform! Granted he has won games in the NFL, but you have to style your entire team around him, if you are not willing to do that, then you just can't carry him on your roster!

BTW: My Mom still hopes that I might have a career in the NFL, but since I'm now fat and old, I doubt it is going to happen.

Look, if your answer is that a QB who doesn't throw well should just go throw a whole bunch of passes and hope it gets better as the response to no team wanting him, I'm not sure what to tell you.
His ability has been demonstrated and no one wants him. It would seem to me that the only way to turn that around would be to go succeed on a football field somewhere and prove them wrong. I'm pretty sure you could go play in the Arena League or CFL and still work with a coach on the side.

Exactly. It was one thing for Tebow to work on his mechanics on the side when he was still an NFL QB as he would have the chance to go to camp and show he had improved enough to win a roster spot, now however he is no longer an NFL QB an the only places anyone are going to see him play are the alternative leagues available, i.e... thee CFL or Arena league, and if Tebow is being honest that his dream and goal is to be an NFL QB you would think that he would sign with one of their teams, win the starters job, and prove to NFL GM's that he is worth bringing in for a look. Simply lifting weights, running, and throwing passes to high school kids with no one pressuring you isn't going to impress any GM enough to bother bringing him in.

You would think his fans would want him to explore every option for getting another shot but for some reason they almost unanimously believe that he should simply sit on the sidelines and hope someone feels sorry for him and signs him.

Then explain to us why 32 teams don't agree with you and don't think he can make their roster even at veteran minimum?

So what that 32 teams don't agree ? Billy Beane showed that EVERY single team in baseball and the hundreds or thousands of "experts" had been looking at players the wrong way and had been doing so for 50+ years.

Second point is that even amongst the 32, you don't know what the rationale was behind their decisions. You PRESUME that every single team thinks that Tebow isn't an NFL QB. It could be that he just doesn't fit into their roster plans. I.e. they are happy with their starter and their #2, and don't want to carry 3 QBs.

Seriously dude, do you even think this **** through before you spout it on the board?

This is from 2012. Since then Tebow has shown he doesn't want to play

What are you talking about? You want to give Tebow credit for the improvement of another player? How exactly does that work?
And where do you get this arbitrary 10 or 11? Based upon last preseason he did not show any improvement at all.

But no one is doing that. I am looking at his ABILITY. You will note I have never said his completion percentage is the evidence he is a bad QB, I have consistently said it is that he cannot throw the ball accurately, on top of his other flaws that you have pointed out.

And that has absolutely nothing to do with Tim Tebow. It is what Eli Manning accomplished.

Again, completely irrelevant.

Which is meaningless unless you demonstrate that Tebow has similar ability and can improve, which you cannot.
Your argument says that every QB who plays bad is good because you found one who turned the tables and improved.

It is possible for some QBs to improve. But not really possible for Tebow because he lacks the requisite skill.

This 'mechanics' euphamism for he doesn't throw the football well is old and tired. Mechanics were the excuse for his slow delivery. Now they are being made the excuse for the fact that he cannot accurately throw the football. The bottom line is that he does not throw the ball at an NFL QB caliber level.

Not sure how it could, since no one wants him in camp.

Jesus, really ? You think that Tebow has just spent his time throwing a bunch of passes and hoping that he's gotten better ?

Seriously ? That's your take on it ? What? You think he just grabs someone and says "Hey, let's go out and play some catch?"

The stupidity of that statement shows that it's really kind of pointless to even try to engage you in a meaningful conversation.

Got a newsflash for you son, working with a "mechanics guru" for 8 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week, for months on end is NOT just sitting around throwing the ball and hoping to get better.

That you apparently don't understand that speaks volumes about you.

If the guy can find a way back - I will always root for him - even if against his team. I don't know if he'll ever make it, but I do know, no one will work harder trying than he will - just may not be enough.

So what that 32 teams don't agree ? Billy Beane showed that EVERY single team in baseball and the hundreds or thousands of "experts" had been looking at players the wrong way and had been doing so for 50+ years.

Second point is that even amongst the 32, you don't know what the rationale was behind their decisions. You PRESUME that every single team thinks that Tebow isn't an NFL QB. It could be that he just doesn't fit into their roster plans. I.e. they are happy with their starter and their #2, and don't want to carry 3 QBs.

Or - gasp - every single team in the league really does in fact think Tebow isn't an NFL QB. Interesting that you'd accuse others of presuming things and yet that's exactly what you are doing in your reply....

Jesus, really ? You think that Tebow has just spent his time throwing a bunch of passes and hoping that he's gotten better ?

Seriously ? That's your take on it ? What? You think he just grabs someone and says "Hey, let's go out and play some catch?"

The stupidity of that statement shows that it's really kind of pointless to even try to engage you in a meaningful conversation.

Got a newsflash for you son, working with a "mechanics guru" for 8 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week, for months on end is NOT just sitting around throwing the ball and hoping to get better.

That you apparently don't understand that speaks volumes about you.
Told you you can't argue with a tebot.

Tebow put on the worst display of qb play the world has ever seen. But all he needs is some tinkering with his "mechanics" and one more chance! Comedy gold!

If the guy can find a way back - I will always root for him - even if against his team. I don't know if he'll ever make it, but I do know, no one will work harder trying than he will - just may not be enough.

^ this. We'd all like to see that.

Unfortunately there is zero evidence other than wishful thinking by his fans to suggest that it's anything but the end of the road for his NFL career.

Told you you can't argue with a tebot.

Tebow put on the worst display of qb play the world has ever seen. But all he needs is some tinkering with his "mechanics" and one more chance! Comedy gold!

Yet somehow he managed to take over a 1-4 team and go 8 and 6 with them including a playoff victory.

Yep, worst QB ever.

Yet somehow he managed to take over a 1-4 team and go 8 and 6 with them including a playoff victory.

Yep, worst QB ever.

QB's don't win games, teams do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill