PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Urban Meyer & Bill Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodie

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I don't know if this was ever posted but after the draft we had it's worth looking at again.

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/archives/shots/belichick_in_gator_land.php

Florida’s Urban Meyer, on what he gleaned from Bill Belichick on the coach’s pre-Draft visit to Gainesville:

“I love telling this story because I love the guy and I don’t really know him. About a month and a half ago I get a phone call and he says “Hi, this Coach Bill Belichick,†and I’m thinking it’s one of my friends and I’m about ready to go, “Yeah, this is Pete Rose.†And it really was him. He started asking about some of our players and said, ‘Well, I’d really like to come down and visit with you about your offense and about some of the players getting ready for the draft.†And I said, sure, I’d love to have you. I go, ‘Wow, a great opportunity to visit with the best coach going right now.’

So he came down and we started to talking to him. The one thing about Bill Belichick . . . if you think about his teams – I did watch the Super Bowl (despite not being an NFL fan) – and I watched the New England Patriots when I got the chance. But more importantly I like to read about what’s going on. The one thing about Bill Belichick’s team, the New England Patriots, there are no issues. You never hear about a guy from the Patriots getting in trouble on Main Street. You watch them play and you don’t see them do those silly things after a touchdown. They go hug their teammates. It’s the best team in all of professional sports. Think about that. They are the best – I don’t care basketball – I’ll fight ya and argue on that – but they’re the best team going.

Why are they the best team? Who’s their superstar? Tom Brady? Tom Brady is not a superstar, but he’s a great football player that raises the level of play of everyone around him. Tedy Bruschi. . . he’s not a superstar. What is he? He’s a great leader.

So Bill Belichick is sitting there and he wants to talk offense and different things and I keep asking about: ‘Coach, tell me about motivation. Tell me about discipline. Tell me about building a team. Tell me about teamwork. Tell me about attitude.’

And you can tell he’s getting a little upset with me because all he wants to do is draw circles on the board and talk about our players that they’re thinking about drafting. Finally I ask him again about something like that and he says listen, “At New England,†and this is verbatim the way he said it, he looked me right in the eye and said, “At New England, all we do is win Super Bowls."

Isn’t that a hell of a deal?

The story goes on but I thought this was very interesting.

What I really like about this is how Meyer will react to BB as the next draft approaches. It will be good to have him on our side.

I'm sorry...that thing Fauria did absolutely qualifies as a "silly thing after touchdowns".

Thanks for posting.

desi-patsfan said:
what did fauria do?

the goofy jumping spike between his legs...like it was some kind of signature move...after he did it in buffalo last year it instantly made me realize how long it had been since he'd scored.;)

dryheat44 said:
I'm sorry...that thing Fauria did absolutely qualifies as a "silly thing after touchdowns".

Thanks for posting.

Dude, no way!

That's an old school between the legs spike!

I loved it!

I think Meyer is talking about the T.O./Joe Horn/Billy White Shoes Johnson kind of stuff!

Branch's throat slash is borderline, IMHO!

ADPF

the taildragger said:
the goofy jumping spike between his legs...like it was some kind of signature move...after he did it in buffalo last year it instantly made me realize how long it had been since he'd scored.;)

true, Fauria hadn't scored in a while, but that's because the offense was slowly, but surely being steered towards Watson & Graham.

Fauria was a team player 24/7.

He was a seasoned veteran who accepted his role and mentored the young guys who were drafted to replace him.

I thought he was a class act during his whole tenure in New England and I wish him well!

And I STILL love that old school between the legs spike!

ADPF

dryheat44 said:
I'm sorry...that thing Fauria did absolutely qualifies as a "silly thing after touchdowns"
Not a big fan of Branch's dance-kick-dance-kick with the goal post either. :)

so glad you posted this. Thx.

Excellent read, I love hearing the praise for our organization come in from independent sources. The Florida staff was acting like they had just met a rock star.

If you read the entire story you see another key to our success. We already know this but this is more confirmation of just how focused BB is ...he is totally 100% driven by football. Winning football games is all this guy cares about, and he won't let anything get in the way of it.

Anyone who is only half as dedicated to their profession as BB is can't help but be successful in their chosen profession.

Last edited:
urban meyer, BB, 2006 draft, chad jackson

Mainefan said:
What I really like about this is how Meyer will react to BB as the next draft approaches. It will be good to have him on our side.
i wondered if BB had 'the word' from meyer about the negative stuff in jackson't scouting reports.
short-arming passes over the middle, shying away from contact, poor blocker. can't see BB/SP drafting a WR like that if any of it, at all, was true.

ya think if the Gators don't work that'll change BB's view of Meyer?

Pawtucket: Red Sox
U Florida: Patriots

Updated version showing U Florida replacing LSU.

Last edited:
if U of F and ND becomes what LSU used to be we'll be in a great shape.

the taildragger said:

They used to do that a lot in the NFL. We used to play football on the street and practiced that same spike. It's one you only get wrong once! :eek:

I wish my alma mater would get more involved with help from
NFL coaching staffs. PSU looks at most outsiders as the enemy.
And, needs to open their mind a little. For example, our cb's play
lousy technique. And, I'm sure someone like BB and our db coach
could review some things with them. I think Joepa preaches the
same thing as BB. Hard work, teamwork, etc. Sum greater than
the parts. I think they would get along smartly.

groundgame said:
Pawtucket: Red Sox
U Florida: Patriots

Updated version showing U Florida replacing LSU.

LSU was the closest thing a team had to a minor league team, but I thought the next round would be Fresno State (as it was last year) and Iowa (maybe if Greenway was available).

onegameatatime said:
LSU was the closest thing a team had to a minor league team, but I thought the next round would be Fresno State (as it was last year) and Iowa (maybe if Greenway was available).

ND and U of F are high profile schools that get a lot of sports coverage. LSU's success under Saban garnered the same. It's good to have a Fresno and an Iowa that might fly under the radar of other team's scouts.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes