PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Upgrading the Running Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger44

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
IMO the locks for RB next season are LoMo and Cory. Evans is fine, but will be around. I believe Pass is gone as well. I am fine with letting Faulk go when we sign a valid punt returner.

With that said there are some good upgrades on the market as of now.

Musa Smith -- He was knocking on the door for the starting position much of the season. Lewis held him off, but Smith is a solid talent. He would be a good replacement for Cory as a power runner in the future.

Chris Brown -- Major health issues, but has shown great flashes. Very upright runner, but very powerful and a solid # 3 guy.

Correll Buckhalter -- Has been healthy this year, but is now in Westbrooks shadow. He may be a good replacement for Faulk, he doesn't fumble as much and is younger.

Ahman Green -- He should come cheap as the injuries slow him down. The upside is that he doesn't need to be the premier back and would be explosive as a role player. I would take hime over Pass any day.

Chris Perry -- is a RFA, but the question is whether or not Cinci wants to retain him. He would be a solid 3rd down back. Again health is an issue.

Michael Turner -- another RFA that gets no love because he is behind LT. Fact is that this guy does have talent, but cannot showcase it where he is. He is a very solid backup.

I would like to see one of these guys replace Pass and a new 3rd down back replacing Faulk. There is nothing wrong with building our running game higher when talent can be had on the cheap.

I think that they'll draft Corey's eventual replacement.

Someone like Miami's Tyrone Moss (5'9", 232 lbs.) might work out well. He's got a nose for the endzone and was productive as Frank Gore's backup. They could probably scoop him up early on Day 2.

moss.jpg

See post below.

Last edited:
I am not so sure that Dillon is a lock for next year.

Agreed.

Maroney and Faulk, IMO, are locks. Pass is a bubble player. Corey I do not really expect back. This is just personal gut feeling, but I have a feeling it's time for this offense to find a game changer to share duties with Maroney, or make Maroney a fulltime back. Corey is great for his role this season, but with how inconsistent our running game has been I'm not sure I'd like to watch another season like this one in the running game. Since our early season success we've been average to poor running the ball.

IMO the locks for RB next season are LoMo and Cory. Evans is fine, but will be around. I believe Pass is gone as well. I am fine with letting Faulk go when we sign a valid punt returner.

With that said there are some good upgrades on the market as of now.

Musa Smith -- He was knocking on the door for the starting position much of the season. Lewis held him off, but Smith is a solid talent. He would be a good replacement for Cory as a power runner in the future.

Chris Brown -- Major health issues, but has shown great flashes. Very upright runner, but very powerful and a solid # 3 guy.

Correll Buckhalter -- Has been healthy this year, but is now in Westbrooks shadow. He may be a good replacement for Faulk, he doesn't fumble as much and is younger.

Ahman Green -- He should come cheap as the injuries slow him down. The upside is that he doesn't need to be the premier back and would be explosive as a role player. I would take hime over Pass any day.

Chris Perry -- is a RFA, but the question is whether or not Cinci wants to retain him. He would be a solid 3rd down back. Again health is an issue.

Michael Turner -- another RFA that gets no love because he is behind LT. Fact is that this guy does have talent, but cannot showcase it where he is. He is a very solid backup.

I would like to see one of these guys replace Pass and a new 3rd down back replacing Faulk. There is nothing wrong with building our running game higher when talent can be had on the cheap.

1) I am not so sure that Dillon is a lock for next year.

2) Buckhalter and Brown are not options because they are injured too much. NE already has enough injury issues.

3) Green is not a bad option, but he doesn't contribute in any other way. I personally would rather have Pass, who is not as good as a RB, but is very good on special teams. I might even favor Evans over Green due to his improving FB duty.

4) Perry seems like a very good receiver and a decent runner. I would definitely be happy with his signing.

5) Turner gets more than enough love. Whoever signs him is going to have to pony up some dough, and I don't see the Pats going in that direction with Maroney on the team.

If Maroney makes the 2nd year leap, I don't think this team is all that worried about replacing Dillon. Evans is a viable power option. I agree with you in that I think NE needs to take a look is at Faulk's position. I like Faulk probably as much as any fan, but I can't see him being productive for more than another year or two. The problem is, how do you keep Faulk and mentor someone at the same time? NE has too much of an injury history to keep two third down backs on the roster.

As far as Pass, the only way he is replaced is if the new guy plays on special teams.

Agreed.

Maroney and Faulk, IMO, are locks. Pass is a bubble player. Corey I do not really expect back. This is just personal gut feeling, but I have a feeling it's time for this offense to find a game changer to share duties with Maroney, or make Maroney a fulltime back. Corey is great for his role this season, but with how inconsistent our running game has been I'm not sure I'd like to watch another season like this one in the running game. Since our early season success we've been average to poor running the ball.

I share your gut feeling that this is Corey's last year as a Patriot. For some reason, I have a sneaking suspicion that NE is going to draft another RB pretty high. and work him into the fray with an improved Maroney as the primary back.

I share your gut feeling that this is Corey's last year as a Patriot. For some reason, I have a sneaking suspicion that NE is going to draft another RB pretty high. and work him into the fray with an improved Maroney as the primary back.

Hmm, I don't see it going this way. I think Dillon still has something left in the tank, and the Pats don't need to rework his deal for more cap space. Even if he goes though, seems to me like the Pats have too many other needs to go high at RB again this year. The guys listed in the first post seem either a. too injury prone to make sense, or b. too good to sign for short money (Turner, if he goes somewhere else, will be worth quite a bit of money). I could see a 4th/5th rounder spent on a RB, but not higher than that unless someone projected to go 1st round fell to them.

A couple things. First, I don't get the Pass-hate, but Heath Evans love. I'd take Pass over Evans. But those guys aren't going to be huge factors anyway.

As for your options. Interesting. Perry is a better receiver out of the backfield than a pure running back, but he would be a strong #2. I doubt Cincy gives up on him after spending a #1 on him, though. Injuries, not production, have been his biggest drawback.

Turner is going to be costly. He gets a LOT of love for a backup, and is going to be a high-priced starter somewhere next year.

A couple things. First, I don't get the Pass-hate, but Heath Evans love. I'd take Pass over Evans. But those guys aren't going to be huge factors anyway.

As for your options. Interesting. Perry is a better receiver out of the backfield than a pure running back, but he would be a strong #2. I doubt Cincy gives up on him after spending a #1 on him, though. Injuries, not production, have been his biggest drawback.

Turner is going to be costly. He gets a LOT of love for a backup, and is going to be a high-priced starter somewhere next year.

As far as Pass, some of us cannot get over the sniper shot fumble. lol

I have a hard time understanding this as well. I'm surprised Evans is even on the team? What happened to using e.g. Mike Vrabel as a FB on the rare cases we need one?

I have a hard time understanding this as well. I'm surprised Evans is even on the team? What happened to using e.g. Mike Vrabel as a FB on the rare cases we need one?

Seymour was lost for four games last year in this role. Since then, only Vrabel-TE and Brown-DB are the two way guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down