PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Upgrading the LT position....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of your thoughts on PFF I'd like to hear how some poster think Matt Light ranks among other LT in the League. This isn't meant to be my list I just took the names from the PFF link for discussions sake.

Jake Long MIA
Andrew Whitworth CIN
D'Brickashaw Ferguson NYJ
Joe Thomas CLE
Doug Free DAL
Jordan Gross CAR
Jason Peters PHI
Ryan Clady DEN
Russell Okung SEA
Bryant McKinnie MIN
Chad Clifton GB
Duane Brown HST
Rodger Saffold SL
Jeff Backus DET
Barry Sims SF
Branden Albert KC
Michael Oher BAL
Joe Staley SF
Matt Light NE
Jermon Bushrod NO
Michael Roos TEN

Just looking at the list of names I wouldn't say Light is a top 10 LT any more.

I agree, but he's still above average, maybe average at worst among starters. More importantly, the only player that I would expect to maybe be better than him on the current roster is our best RT by a wide margin. Light at LT and Vollmer at RT > Vollmer at LT and someone else (Kaczur?) at RT

Last edited:
hmmm...hurries, hits and sacks seems pretty objective to me.....

If everyone is graded by the same criteria I'm not sure why the uproar here....

Vollmer is graded as 9th best RT .....

If the OT is supposed to be getting help from the TE or OG on a particular play, that may be a problem....but Mankins and Crumpler on the left side helping Light should be a plus.....

just sayin

I don't think you're way off base expressing concern for an LT position that has much of the responsibility for protecting the franchise.

Regardless of the assertion of the PFF article, we all have seen example after example of linemen - especially LTs - who's skills and abilities began to drop off very quickly once they hit a certain age.

And in the case of Light we've known for a very long time that he has difficulty with speed rushers.

So yes, finding the future at LT is a top priority - which is part of why Vollmer and Solder were drafted and a reason why it should surprise no one to see more tackles brought into camp.

Personally I'd like to see them re-sign Light at a salary that reflects what his probable future status will be - quality depth on the OL.

Light would make a good mentor for Solder....at a reasonable price he could ease into a rotational/backup job when Solder is ready....

But like others here said...Matt will probably looking for one last payday and a shot to start for some team.....BB is probably going to spend his big $$ on Mankins...but what do I know :eek:

If Light does sign with another team, it will be interesting to see how he fairs protectiung the QB...I don't think there's too much question with his run blocking abilities.....

I agree BB drafted a top LT high for a reason....:)

It appears I'm in the minority but I think Solder will outplay Light next year. It's a shortened offseason, he's weak, his technique is bad, blah blah blah. Just remember where you heard it first. There's something to be said about our track record with first-second round lineman and Solder's track record at Col.

It appears I'm in the minority but I think Solder will outplay Light next year.

It's a shortened offseason, he's weak, his technique is bad, blah blah blah.

Just remember where you heard it first.

There's something to be said about our track record with first-second round lineman and Solder's track record at Col.

What're you, high??

No offense, Bro: I like you, and I like Blue Thunder ~ cool name, dat. :cool:

But the notion of Nate Solder being some kind of Deep Dark Secret is LUDICROUS...though not NEARLY as ludicrous, I'll grant you, as the notion that we now need to "Upgrade" the LT position!! :rolleyes:

The guy has 10 PRO BOWL POTENTIAL.

Not FIVE...

Not SEVEN..

THIRTY...EIGHT. :eek:

Oops.

Sorry...

For a moment, there, I was channeling Mike McMack.

Defense Lawyer.

mikemcmackdefenselawyer.jpg

Anyway...

I said that on DRAFT Night, thank you very much, and I wasn't even CLOSE to being the only one who was excited about the Pick.

And even most of those ~ a majority, to be sure ~ who were against the Pick would certainly concede that the guy has ENORMOUS Upside, FAR more than Light, bless his Soul.

So PLEASE don't perpetrate like you've unearthed some Hidden Gem, my friend. THANKS. ;)

The Patriots offensive line has always been known as a tight knit group. I think if the Patriots offer Light a fair contract and a chance to compete he'll take it. He's been here his whole career. Is a few extra million tacked on to one final contract worth moving your family to go play for the Seahawks?

The Patriots offensive line has always been known as a tight knit group. I think if the Patriots offer Light a fair contract and a chance to compete he'll take it. He's been here his whole career. Is a few extra million tacked on to one final contract worth moving your family to go play for the Seahawks?

That's a question that Deion Branch may be able to help you answer ('final contract' notwithstanding). Money talks, and in this case with Light--it's no different. Particularly since it's his last contract, as you put it.

I don't exactly hold my breath for Light giving us a hometown deal, but I hope I am wrong.

I think he'd be a great guy to keep for another 2 yrs, but it's all going to come down to the money in this case (IMHO.)

The Pats did the right thing by giving themselves a player for the immediate + the future in Solder. He was apparently the BPA in the big man's eyes, and he does fill a position of need, particularly with the Mankins situation, the uncertainty of the labor talks at the time of the pick, the potential departure of Koppen, the retiring of Neal...the list goes on.

What it also did however, was give the team some leverage in the talks with Light, as they will move on with or without him.

Point blank--I really hope he stays, but there's a good possibility that another team will offer him more money, and I think he takes it with them.

Last edited:
Point blank--I really hope he stays, but there's a good possibility that another team will offer him more money, and I think he takes it with them.

I totally agree....plus, the future would be set for the OL as soon as BB gets Koppen's replacement....(wonder if Cannon can play center?) :cool:

Edit: The above assumes Mankins is signed long term

Last edited:
Does anyone here know what Matt Light's status was with regards to the recent workouts the team got together for? I know Solder was there. Didnt hear anything at all about Light. I also didnt read thru this whole thread. But if Matt Light didnt feel it important or maybe just the right move for him, I doubt very seriously even he thinks he's gonna be re-signed here for what he probably feels he's worth.

In my personal opinion, I think Light is gone without question. And my feeling on Solder is we're gonna love that kid from the word "go". He's gonna be a stud for us for a long, long time.

Is a few extra million tacked on to one final contract worth moving your family to go play for the Seahawks?
Adam Vinatieri left a place where he was treated like a god by fandom, where he had opportunities for commercials, and he left for half a mil total over the contract.

I feel as you do. What is the point of making a lot of money except to maximize yokur happiness in life? If dying with a fatter bank account is someone's goal, go for every nickel. But if feeling great at 4:00 on a fall Sunday afternoon makes you happy, then do that.

Greed of players never cease to amaze me. Why play here for $30 mil when I can play there for $35 mil, as it after you earn $30 million dollars, another 5 will make a difference in your life style. Yet all the time players leave winning teams and go to losing teams for a few dollars more.

Probably Vinatieri ended up making less when you figure the loss of Papa Gino's etc commercials income. I certainly hope so. He certainly lost most of his buzz.

I totally agree....plus, the future would be set for the OL as soon as BB gets Koppen's replacement....(wonder if Cannon can play center?) :cool:

Edit: The above assumes Mankins is signed long term

Cannon screams right guard at his size. 6-5 350 is huge and extremely tall for a center (its huge for a zone blocking guard too but I assume they get him to slim down a bit over time)

To answer another question Light has been working out with team members in foxboro but I'm pretty sure he wasn't at the big BC practice. I'm actually beginning to think it's about 50-50 that he's back (there isn't much time to get Solder going and the market for Light will be very brief given the abbreviated offseason).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back