PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Upgrading the Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, YES, Gawd Damn it YES......Could have had a lot of players but passed, he seems to have a phobia when it comes to using high draft picks on the front seven.

last 3 picks in the top half of the first during the bb tenure -- seymour, warren, mayo

other than that, spot on.

you guys are ******* killing me.

What is Chung supposed to learn? When you're not playing your natural position, you get torched? Chung's not good in coverage, never has been good in coverage, and doesn't have the instincts to be the type who sits back, takes safe angles, and safely breaks up plays. He's a risk taker.

Hopefully Belichick learns from that experience that constantly shuffling the secondary around and never letting players settle at their natural position leads to trouble.

Meriweather being a free safety when he was drafted, then being moved to strong safety for a few years, then being moved back to free safety is a large reason why he never got better. You can only unlearn and relearn stuff so much.

Having players who can constantly shift between 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE or DBs who can switch between safety and corner every play would be nice but there aren't very many players out there versatile enough to do that. IMO the biggest thing with the defense is getting some continuity.

obviously, this is just a message board, so that's your opinion, but how would you have any idea at what the reasons are behind somebody's poor play?
what are you basing this opinion on?

I think it's far more likely the guy just makes bad decisions and could never 'unlearn' doing so, or learn to make good ones -- however you want to look at it.
you can't have an undisciplined guy making mistakes on the field, and particularly in the secondary.

I would imagine bb had enough of watching him get burned.

the fact is, some players will need to be shuffled around, and it's typically due to injury at another position, or just sucking at your own position.

Last edited:
In my mind Arrington works best as the slot CB. He sees the field well, recognizes routes and reads the QB eyes.

Also in my mind our DB's were drafted or signed because they excel in zone coverages, once we flipped to man coverage,were had a bunch or round pegs in square holes.

In man coverage McCourty a pure zone CB can excel at the FS position because he can roam.

So the first thing we need to do is fix the D line (more size and athleticism); then BB can settle on defensive backfields alignments and coverages.

Agree with Arrington that he's his best at slot/Nickelback, which is good because
in today's league its very valuable.

I hope between Mccourty (if he plays CB), Dowling, Moore, draft pick or FA, that we have two CBs better than Arrington so he can play #3.

Last edited:
I think the need at safety is known, but it's not being emphasized as much as it should. Having a great safety out there not only will help the corner backs in protection, but also help the front 7 in run support. If we can get a center fielder for a safety (in the mold of Ed Reed) it will make an instant impact to the entire team's pass defense.

last 3 picks in the top half of the first during the bb tenure -- seymour, warren, mayo

other than that, spot on.

you guys are ******* killing me.

How often are they picking in the Top 15 of the draft ?

He's done well drafting/developing the Dline side (Sey, Warren, Wilfork, Deadrick, Pryor, Wright, Jarvis Green etc), and Oline

He's been atrocius drafting/developing skilled player positions DB, WR, RB, LB, and were it not for Gronk and AH, you could add TE to the mix here.

I'd love to see some aggressive moves.

Belichick talked about how much he loved the 2011 team, and he may err toward keeping more marginal players, because they are good locker room presences, than normal. We'll see.

Number one on my list would be Calais Campbell. He's a very productive 3-4 DE, 72 tackles, 8 sacks, an amazing 10 passes defended and an interception. Arizona has a bunch of free agents on defense, and they'll try hard to re-sign Campbell. He would be a huge addition to the defense. I would make him the top target in free agency, outside Welker.

There are very limited options at edge rusher. The best is Cliff Avril. He is the right size, offers terrific speed, youth, explosiveness. If the Patriots cannot land him, you're looking at Anthony Spencer or the draft.

Neither would be cheap, but should cost less than Mario Williams.

There's not much at safety. Again, the Pats should look to the draft, or target a corner and keep McCourty at free safety.

There are a number of corners. Finnegan, Carr, Routt, Grimes, Marshall, Rogers, Thomas. Any of them would be upgrades. With five-seven good starters on the market, a team can wait for the first few to come off the board, and then get into the mix on the second tier.

If the Pats can get two new starters at DE, edge rusher, and CB, they will be in terrific position going into the draft.

With their current cap largess, coupled with reports that they could roll $6mm from 2011 into 2012, this could be the opportunity to reload for a final Brady run.

A defense like this:

Deaderick-Wilfork-Campbell
Ninkovich-Mayo-Spikes-Avril
Dowling-Chung-McCourty-Marshall

with a rookie rusher and DB, Arrington in the slot - that's a top 10 defense.

I think the need at safety is known, but it's not being emphasized as much as it should. Having a great safety out there not only will help the corner backs in protection, but also help the front 7 in run support. If we can get a center fielder for a safety (in the mold of Ed Reed)

Get another ed reed ----- I'll email belichick.

So far, I think we've got ed reed, jj watt, a young charles woodson,, and maybe the next lawrence taylor and our defense is fixed.
Or did I forget somebody?-

Trade Jared Allen for a first rounder?

Number one on my list would be Calais Campbell. He's a very productive 3-4 DE, 72 tackles, 8 sacks, an amazing 10 passes defended and an interception. Arizona has a bunch of free agents on defense, and they'll try hard to re-sign Campbell. He would be a huge addition to the defense. I would make him the top target in free agency, outside Welker.
Calais Campbell will be franchised.

The New England Patriots defense needs to get younger not older. Besides Jared Allen is not a fit for the 3-4 defense.

It needs to get better, not younger or older.
By the way, how the hell is it old? The only significant player who could be called old is Carter.

What if..... Jerod Mayo came into the level of Patrick Willis, Brandon Spikes started playing like Navorro Bowman, and we draft a guy that's Aldon Smith 2.0???

Hey, I can dream, can't I? :D

It needs to get better, not younger or older.
By the way, how the hell is it old? The only significant player who could be called old is Carter.
Andre Carter, Shaun Ellis, Gerard Warren, Albert Haynesworth. How about targeting unrestricted free agents under the age of 30? As for a better defense, the New England Patriots have four picks in the top 63 of the 2012 NFL Draft.

Trade Jared Allen for a first rounder?

so, if you were minnesota, you'd trade jared allen for the 28th pick in the draft, or whatever it is?
have I got that right?

Andre Carter, Shaun Ellis, Gerard Warren, Albert Haynesworth. How about targeting unrestricted free agents under the age of 30? As for a better defense, the New England Patriots have four picks in the top 63 of the 2012 NFL Draft.

because mario williams, or whoever you're thinking of, costs more than all of those guys put together.

they had the cap a few years ago and signed adalius, and colvin a few years before that.
they might sign a big ticket fa under 30 this year, but it won't happen every year, so there's no point in crying about it.
if I remember right, they didn't have all that much cap in last year's fa.
I happen to think andre carter and mark anderson were good signings, and I know at the time this board was filled with people crying about the pass rush.

because mario williams, or whoever you're thinking of, costs more than all of those guys put together.
Mario Williams will price himself out of the New England Patriots market. The New England Patriots will either franchise Welker or sign him to a hefty contract ($7 million to $9 million per season). Brandon Lloyd could an excellent addition to the New England Patriots offense at the WIDE receiver position.

I happen to think andre carter and mark anderson were good signings, and I know at the time this board was filled with people crying about the pass rush.
All of a sudden the New England Patriots can't find defensive talent in the 2012 NFL Draft with four picks in the first two rounds?

Mario Williams will price himself out of the New England Patriots market. The New England Patriots will either franchise Welker or sign him to a hefty contract ($7 million to $9 million per season). Brandon Lloyd could an excellent addition to the New England Patriots offense at the WIDE receiver position.

All of a sudden the New England Patriots can't find defensive talent in the 2012 NFL Draft with four picks in the first two rounds?

dude, wtf are you talking about?

the post you wrote, which I quoted, said the following:

"Andre Carter, Shaun Ellis, Gerard Warren, Albert Haynesworth. How about targeting unrestricted free agents under the age of 30?"

I'm quite sure the patriots will draft players the same as every year --- I don't know what that has to do with your request that they target unrestricted free agents under the age of 30.

There's talent there. But, it's tough to expect Super Bowl level performance from a rookie picked that low. Some of the guys I like such as; Fletcher Cox, Vinny Curry and Brandon Boykin would inject some youth/speed. But, probably not ready to start. If we add a playmaker at FS that will improve the defenseo more than any single draft pick. Our safeties just didn't make plays. Remember Belichick cut Lawyer Malloy because he quit making plays. I'm sure he sees that as a need. Might be able to get a good 2-gap de like Kendal Langford in free agency too.

So, I would like to see:
34 DE
34 OLB
CB
S

This is the major problem, needs at multiple positions on defense. The same problem the team has had for several years.

Your breakdown was accurate but 4 positions is a lot to upgrade in a single offseason. Most draft picks can't be relied upon and free agency is expensive.

I almost feel like saying "Screw it, go balls out on offense". Score 500 points and hope the defense can be average. It almost worked this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back