PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Upgrades But Not Needs In The Draft

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps we have finally reached the position that Belichick always desires. The team that we have now can take the field and win. Perhaps, we are a signing or pre-draft trade away from that position.

IMHO, absent injuries, there is no NEED for a rookie to step in and be a major contributor.

While no rookie needs to be a major contributor this year, the Patriots may need several to be ready
to start next year. This means drafting them in 2016. Unless the Patriots extend a few players,
they will have significant gaps at cornerback, linebacker, defensive end, defensive tackle and offensive
tackle. Hopefully, BB won't waste too many high picks on injured players and Navy binkies.

If bb gets Reynolds, then all is well.

Between him and Cooper of sc, you have two tremendous versatile playmakers.

Smallwood of West Virginia is another super versatile playmaker, but I had to take him off my board due to character concerns.

Smallwood of West Virginia is another super versatile playmaker, but I had to take him off my board due to character concerns.
To me a versatile player is one who can play more than one position but is not that great at any position.
Gerhard Schwedes (1st territorial pick) could play offense, defense, and punted in college but not very well at anything at the professional level.
Slater played offense, defense, and special teams in college but is simply a special teams player.

Reynolds is a fun player but where is he going to play?

As is often the case, the draft will largely be about the future.

QB - This time next year JG will be in his contract year and either traded or about to walk.
RB - Will we take one this year or get through the year as is and wait for the far stronger RB group in 2017 ?
WR - Even Jules is starting to get older especially for his style of play. Youth with upside needed.
TE - For now I'm assuming Bennett is one and done. Derby ? Hope but who knows.
OT - Definite future need.
DL - Lots of upcoming FA.
LB - I'm assuming we'll re-sign High and Collins and be OK here.
CB - Developmental young guy would be nice.

Lots of future needs, not a lot now..

Of the list I would probably drop QB and RB to a later round shot, eliminate LB and I don't think there'll be much for us as TE, leaving WR, OT, DL, CB as my top four for the earlier picks.

There are certainly things this team could use right not but nothing it truly 100% needs to win a championship (health providing).

The main improvements I look to make on this team are.

#1 DT pass rush - We have no one at DT who can rush the passer. You don't need that to win but it would certainly help.
#2 3rd OT - OT is such a key position that you would hate to go into this year with the same backups as last year cause that proved they were not good enough.
#3 The 4th CB. Last year the Pats has a pretty good amount of options at CB in retrospect. Butler/Ryan/Coleman ended up being the 3 but they lost Tarell Brown and Roberts to injury. It was the fact they had so many options at CB that saved that unit. They need to be sure they have enough options this year that as long as anyone but Butler goes down they can work around it (no replacing Butler most likely)

Those to me are the top 3 things and nothing else comes close. It would be great to have a good RB but the Pats have options and can work around it. It would be nice to go for a WR but they don't truly need one that badly. A DE would be nice but they are set for this year. A LB would be nice but they have 3 and usually only use 2.

If all the Patriots walk away with in this draft is those 3 things and they all work i will be incredibly happy with this draft cause you have solved your short term and long term problems at very important positions.

The guys I'd want are Jon Bullard - DT (pass rusher), La'Raven Clark - OT and @ CB any number of guys look like good possibilities.

For instance if the Pats somehow manage to draft Bullard, Clark, Will Redmon(for instance) and throw in Jaylon Smith to boot then I would say it was a huge success of a draft.

Don't know what the full context of this Nick Caserio quote is, but it suggests, possibly, that Le'Raven Clark might not be that high on their board, if at all.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back