PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Upgrade special teams?

Those two receivers aren't comparable. When Jackson showed up at the combine, Rod Woodson said that his performance was the finest workout of a wide receiver that he has ever seen. This guy has been around for a long time. He knows what he's talking about.

What makes Jackson so dangerous is his quickness, top end speed, and precise footwork. This gives him three ways to create separation. You could try jamming him, but he might elude you with his short area quickness.

You could try playing him with inside trail technique with help over the top. If he runs a deep post route [which he often does], he'll loose the corner when he changes direction with his ability to accelerate in short spaces. Then, he can simply out run the safety with his top end speed. The man is dangerous.

And you do not see Gilyard with these same skill sets, but in a slightly bigger package? Short area burst, ability to go get the football, speed, change of gears, this all sounds like very similar skill sets.

And you do not see Gilyard with these same skill sets, but in a slightly bigger package? Short area burst, ability to go get the football, speed, change of gears, this all sounds like very similar skill sets.
Yup, he's got the package, it's what makes him a good returner and allows him to 'put the team on his shoulders' against a defense like Pit's. If he's there in round Two I'd be 'Greg Jennings' disappointed if he wasn't a Pat by the end of the round. I'm sure BB has film of Gilyard working against Butler, and after watching the Pit/NC bowl yesterday I'm sure both Pit CBs will be on a roster next Spring.

Are you happy with our ST play or would like to see us make some off season moves.

Prior to yesterday's game, the Pats avg. drive start was the 23.6 yd. line, which ranked next to last in the league. There is no doubt that Belichick will prioritize improving this weak area in the off-season by penciling in Tate as the new primary KO returner, along with a rookie draftee from the WR/RB/DB crop.

Mardy Gilyard has been mentioned by many (myself included), as one who excels on kickoffs -- and has potential as a receiver. Watch him play vs Urban Meyer's Gators on New Year's Day, and see for yourselves if the "chicken legs" has what it takes to play for the Pats. And keep in mind that BB spent a second-rounder on someone for the sole reason of being the primary KO returner, in the hope he would also develop as a receiver. I think Gilyard is a better prospect. JMO.

Tate and Maroney at KR isn't likely to be too bad with Slater as the up back, but I'd still like to see another late round speedster with RB vision added in the offseason.

Edelperson showed some PR aptitude, let's get him healthy and see what develops. Welker and Faulk (assuming he's re-signed) provide an adequate baseline.

What are your thoughts on Brandon James from Florida He is a 6th round pospect with great speed but I would like to see him under Faulks wing for a year. His return skills are pretty good IMO.

What are your thoughts on Brandon James from Florida He is a 6th round pospect with great speed but I would like to see him under Faulks wing for a year. His return skills are pretty good IMO.
I'll watch for him against Cincy.

I think that we're fine with Tate and Maroney as kick returners, and with Welker as a punt returner.

I have no problem with drafting a returner, but, in the end, it would be him or Tate for the roster spot.

The Globe notes that the Pats average starting field position after kickoffs is the 23.4 yard line, which ranks 31st in the NFL.

Neal completed formidable line - The Boston Globe

Here's hoping that Tate is fully recovered next year.

The Globe notes that the Pats average starting field position after kickoffs is the 23.4 yard line, which ranks 31st in the NFL.

Neal completed formidable line - The Boston Globe

Here's hoping that Tate is fully recovered next year.

I think we were in the top 5 last year when Hobbs was returning kicks. So is the difference due to the kick returner or due to the end of the 5 man wedge or due to Sealy's departure or due to some combination of these factors?????????

I think we were in the top 5 last year when Hobbs was returning kicks. So is the difference due to the kick returner or due to the end of the 5 man wedge or due to Sealy's departure or due to some combination of these factors?????????
Hobbs: 2008 - 28.5 yd avg. 2009 - 24.1 (career 27.2)
The other Eagle KRs are about the same or a few yards worse.

Maroney: 2006 - 28. 2009 - 21.5

Matthew Slater is averaging 23 yds vice 14.1 last season...and if he wasn't so blasted easy to tackle with one finger he'd probably have a couple TDs and a lot more yardage.

Tate: 26.5
Edelman: 21.9
Faulk: 24 (career 22.6)

Seems the returners are doing okay overall.

I think a NE KR who can explode into full speed as fast as Slater, but run through arm tackles like a RB is what the Pats are missing. Maybe that's a healthy Tate, maybe it's a healthy Edelman - I'd still like to bring in at least one rookie who can push them.

I never knew we were this bad.
Field position is too important for us to be this bad at it.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back