PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Updates on Revis and Patriots free agents

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The Patriots’ actions this week have indicated they’re all in on cornerback Darrelle Revis."

And what actions are those?

The fact that they prioritize Revis can and should be taken as a given, since he's the best player with the biggest impact that needs a nearly immediate decision to be made. Not exactly news there.

Yeah, no news here. I'm sure Revis will stay with us. We'll know soon enough. Lets say Revis stays and the pats wins one or two more Super Bowls. It would be crazy for Revis to be known more for being a Pat than a Jet at the end of his career. He might already be with the super bowl but something tells me most people still think of the Jets when Revis is mentioned.

I wanna see revis end his career with the pats. I hope he takes 14

This would have been news had they mentioned who were the "pair of teams" that offered him 16 million for 2014 at least.

Ideally, the Patriots can reach a long term deal with Revis before March 2nd. This is the
last day the franchise tag can be applied to McCourty or Gostkowski.

It's a minor, but someone might want to change the title, since Revis is not a free agent.

Ideally, the Patriots can reach a long term deal with Revis before March 2nd. This is the

Good point!

Good point!

I thought about the relationship with tagging McCourty and signing Revis as well, but the truth is that it really doesn't matter what order they do it in.

The bottom line is that they're still going to free up money one way or the other by either cutting/extending Revis, and that will have to be done by the start of the league year. They'd likely have to make a couple of other smaller moves if they tagged McCourty first, but they could still get under the cap just fine.

I believe they can use the tag without having freed up the cap space. They just need to be in compliance with the cap for the start of the league year.

I'm hopin BB/Revis work this out. It'll be a Win-Win for both. Revis should be able to get market value or close to it and can stay with a SB contender well as long as TB & BB are here anyway. Especially there is a real possibility of Repeating as Cha

Pats/BB get a CB in Revis that lets them put in many different Def Schemes. It makes opposing DCs & QBs think about him and he locks down their No.1/2 receivers.
I know I sound like Capt.Obvious but It Is What It Is, Revis makes our Def 100Xs better and we all know what our D was like in recent past.

I hope he signs an extension here, but I just think that some team is going to offer him way more than the pats. 16 teams have over 25 mill in cap space, 6 of which have 40 mill of space and a lot of team will be scrambling to get to the 89% cash spending threshold. He got his ring and lets be honest, this guy is a businessman. sure he may have some regrets if the new team does not have success, but this is a guy that signed long term with Tampa, he was happy to spend the rest of his career with a bad team as long as he was getting paid.

Without a doubt, he would sign with the pats for the same or 5% less, but I can see a team like oakland going 5 years and 70 mill with 1/2 up front. I don't see BB paying that much in both years and SB.

1) I agree that the Revis decision and the franchising decisions can be made in any order. However, if we believe that the team cannot both franchise McCourty and sign Revis, then we will have significant information when the franchise announcements are made.

2) I also agree that many teams will need to start addressing the 89% issue. While this must be resolved in 2016, a lot of the work needs to be done in 2015. The most effect tactics for closing the cap if a team is considerably under the cash limit is to sign higher bonuses and to spend all their cap money.

Revis might get a higher bonus that we might have thought. He might get a $35M or $40M bonus on a 5 year deal. This would put all of his guaranteed money into the bonus. This needn't affect his total compensation or even the total guarantee.

Last edited:
He will be back....IMO of course

Sherman's deal was 4yr/ 56mil with 40 mil guaranteed. Patrick Peterson's contract was 5 yrs/70 mil with 48 mil guaranteed. Gonna be tough to give him close to that IMO--he's in the same echelon as those guys, if not better.

This would have been news had they mentioned who were the "pair of teams" that offered him 16 million for 2014 at least.

Probably Jacksonville for one.

Nothing on Revis front..i have a feeling it could come out of the blue one day here

I think Revis talking about how indispensable McCourty is indicates he is thinking of staying put.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back