PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Updated Walterfootball mock draft 4 rounds 2/6....

Status
Not open for further replies.

evans555

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Seeing as I'm a Bills fan I will post the Buffalo picks as well as NE

Round 1

[Buffalo Bills: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
I liked having Keith Rivers go earlier, but I think he passed Dan Connor in the linebacker rankings in the wake of his Senior Bowl. Thus, I was forced to put Rivers at No. 9. I'll admit this is a reach, but Malcolm Kelly, at 6-4, 217, is a perfect complement to the lightning-quick Lee Evans. Trent Edwards needs a better No. 2 receiver than Peerless Price, Roscoe Parrish and Josh Reed.

With that in mind, Buffalo fans may like this draft more than Rivers/James Hardy. Check my second-round selection for details - I think Bills backers will like that pick.

[/B]- New England Patriots: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State
I can't believe New England may go 19-0 and draft seventh overall come next April. This is like the Suns stealing first-round selections from the Atlanta Hawks and New York Knicks every year (and without David Stern rigging the draft too.) It's just not fair.

I recently said one of two things would happen here: "I expect at least one cornerback to really shine at the Combine, earning a top-10 label. That player will go here (could be Leodis McKelvin.) If no one steps up, New England could trade down - perhaps to Dallas."

Well, things changed in the wake of New England's loss in the Super Bowl. The Patriots' offensive line - particularly the right side - couldn't keep the Giants out of the backfield and away from Tom Brady's injured leg. I have to believe Bill Belichick will draft Ryan Clady if the Chiefs don't get him at No. 5. If Clady and Jake Long are gone, New England will go with McKelvin in all likelihood.

Round 2

Buffalo Bills: Ali Highsmith, OLB, LSU
So, Malcolm Kelly and Ali Highsmith, or Keith Rivers and James Hardy? Too close to call. Highsmith is obviously good enough to replace the beleaguered Keith Ellison on the weak side, giving Buffalo one of the elite trio of linebackers in the NFL.

New England Patriots: Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
Ever since I saw Adam Joshua Feeley and Kyle Boller torch New England's secondary, I knew the Patriots were capable of being exposed. It was a major reason I noted that the Giants winning in Arizona wouldn't surprise me on my Super Bowl pick page. New England's defensive backfield is expected to take another hit in the wake of Asante Samuel leaving via free agency (perhaps to the Jets). Bill Belichick must acquire personnel so his stop unit isn't lit up for 51 by the likes of Feeley and Boller.

Round 3

Buffalo Bills: Martellus Bennett, TE, TexasA&M
The good news is Kevin Everett will be able to walk again and lead a normal life. The bad news is that the Bills need a tight end in the wake of his life-threatening injury.

Buffalo Bills: Steve Justice, C, Wake Forest
The Bills need help with their interior offensive front, and Steve Justice is probably the best inside lineman in this draft class

New England Patriots: Brad Cottam, TE, Tennessee
The Patriots, known for taking tight ends early in the draft, could use one as Kyle Brady won't be around much longer. Starter Ben Watson is inconsistent, so Cottam could end up being a potent weapon for Tom Brady by 2009.

New England Patriots: Philip Wheeler, ILB, Georgia Tech
Other than lacking depth at corner and safety, the reason the Patriots' defense eroded into one of the league's worst toward the end of the season - despite anything Troy Aikman says - were the slow, old linebackers. Any sort of linebacker for the future is a must.

Round 4

Buffalo Bills: Owen Schmitt, FB, West Virginia
The Bills could use an upgrade at fullback, and Owen Schmitt is a player their fans would fall in love with.

New England Patriots: Simeon Castille, FS/CB
The Patriots need all the depth they can get in their secondary.

Looks pretty solid any thoughts?

From a Bills standpoint I would love Kelly and Highsmith.....and would like it even more if somehow Rivers fell to them and they took Hardy in the second round

Looking at the Pats pick I do not like Clady at the 7 spot and feel this guy is reaching to say the Pats OL is in trouble after one game

200 views and no responses...solid Message board

hahaaahahha.

That was one solid response......

Seeing as I'm a Bills fan I will post the Buffalo picks as well as NE

Round 1

[Buffalo Bills: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
I liked having Keith Rivers go earlier, but I think he passed Dan Connor in the linebacker rankings in the wake of his Senior Bowl. Thus, I was forced to put Rivers at No. 9. I'll admit this is a reach, but Malcolm Kelly, at 6-4, 217, is a perfect complement to the lightning-quick Lee Evans. Trent Edwards needs a better No. 2 receiver than Peerless Price, Roscoe Parrish and Josh Reed.

With that in mind, Buffalo fans may like this draft more than Rivers/James Hardy. Check my second-round selection for details - I think Bills backers will like that pick.

[/B]- New England Patriots: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State
I can't believe New England may go 19-0 and draft seventh overall come next April. This is like the Suns stealing first-round selections from the Atlanta Hawks and New York Knicks every year (and without David Stern rigging the draft too.) It's just not fair.

I recently said one of two things would happen here: "I expect at least one cornerback to really shine at the Combine, earning a top-10 label. That player will go here (could be Leodis McKelvin.) If no one steps up, New England could trade down - perhaps to Dallas."

Well, things changed in the wake of New England's loss in the Super Bowl. The Patriots' offensive line - particularly the right side - couldn't keep the Giants out of the backfield and away from Tom Brady's injured leg. I have to believe Bill Belichick will draft Ryan Clady if the Chiefs don't get him at No. 5. If Clady and Jake Long are gone, New England will go with McKelvin in all likelihood.

Round 2

Buffalo Bills: Ali Highsmith, OLB, LSU
So, Malcolm Kelly and Ali Highsmith, or Keith Rivers and James Hardy? Too close to call. Highsmith is obviously good enough to replace the beleaguered Keith Ellison on the weak side, giving Buffalo one of the elite trio of linebackers in the NFL.

New England Patriots: Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
Ever since I saw Adam Joshua Feeley and Kyle Boller torch New England's secondary, I knew the Patriots were capable of being exposed. It was a major reason I noted that the Giants winning in Arizona wouldn't surprise me on my Super Bowl pick page. New England's defensive backfield is expected to take another hit in the wake of Asante Samuel leaving via free agency (perhaps to the Jets). Bill Belichick must acquire personnel so his stop unit isn't lit up for 51 by the likes of Feeley and Boller.

Round 3

Buffalo Bills: Martellus Bennett, TE, TexasA&M
The good news is Kevin Everett will be able to walk again and lead a normal life. The bad news is that the Bills need a tight end in the wake of his life-threatening injury.

Buffalo Bills: Steve Justice, C, Wake Forest
The Bills need help with their interior offensive front, and Steve Justice is probably the best inside lineman in this draft class

New England Patriots: Brad Cottam, TE, Tennessee
The Patriots, known for taking tight ends early in the draft, could use one as Kyle Brady won't be around much longer. Starter Ben Watson is inconsistent, so Cottam could end up being a potent weapon for Tom Brady by 2009.

New England Patriots: Philip Wheeler, ILB, Georgia Tech
Other than lacking depth at corner and safety, the reason the Patriots' defense eroded into one of the league's worst toward the end of the season - despite anything Troy Aikman says - were the slow, old linebackers. Any sort of linebacker for the future is a must.

Round 4

Buffalo Bills: Owen Schmitt, FB, West Virginia
The Bills could use an upgrade at fullback, and Owen Schmitt is a player their fans would fall in love with.

New England Patriots: Simeon Castille, FS/CB
The Patriots need all the depth they can get in their secondary.

Looks pretty solid any thoughts?

From a Bills standpoint I would love Kelly and Highsmith.....and would like it even more if somehow Rivers fell to them and they took Hardy in the second round

Looking at the Pats pick I do not like Clady at the 7 spot and feel this guy is reaching to say the Pats OL is in trouble after one game

I wouldn't take Clady at 7th, and I agree it's a reach to say they have a troubled O-line. I do like the idea of drafting Jake Long if he's available though. It would make NE's O-line the best in the NFL (without argument). I wouldn't expect Chris Long, Ellis, Dorsey, McFadden, Jake Long, and Gholston to have all been selected before NE picks either. Most will likely be gone, but at least one or two will make it to 7th overall. Also, Matt Ryan's probably going in the top 5.

NE could use a few good CB's in the draft and free agency, but I think there should be some better options out there. If they can either trade down in the first, or trade up in the second I'd like to see Cason, or a few others.

Cottom Grades anywhere from 54-56. He's the 8th or 9th TE coming out, and he missed most of the season after having surgery on his wrist, but NE's going to draft him with their first pick of the third round (4th in the round)?

I'm not sure Wheeler fits the system. He's not physical enough in coverage, and could have some problems taking on guards at the NFL level. In NE's system ILB's must take on guards, so that's a problem. He's also a little undersized, and needs to develop his pass rush (uses his speed to much). I'd rather draft Jonathan Goff to play ILB for NE.

Castille missed the Cotton Bowl for "Academic reasons", and he can gamble a little to much. I'll have to admit that I've taken an interest in him at times, and I think he might be able to develop into a decent CB, who can work in the slot. We'll have to see how his intelligence issues effect his draft placement, and more importantly how it effects NE's interest.

Last edited:
As a fellow Bills fan, this draft isn't too bad. I'd rather go DT or CB in the first round than WR (can get Earl Bennett or Devin Thomas in the 2nd). Not to mention Justice is not a good center. Scouting reports make him sound just like Fowler.

I don't think NE takes Clady. The O-line played badly, but it was against the best pass rush in the league. They'll probably take BPA. Or, since they'll almost certainly have their choice of CB, they might go that route.

I'm leaning toward Clady or Long at #7. With Kaczur being moved to guard for the injured Neal or traded for a pick.

The corners represent needs, I'm not sure that Godfrey and Castille wouldn't both need seasoning before they're ready to contribute.

We have 4 TE under contract. I'm expecting a big year out of David Thomas - he had a few impressive games prior to injury in his rookie season.

Philip Wheeler looks to be a decent pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back