PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Updated Mock 3/3 Gholston at #2 - Cromartie to the Pats at #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BradyToMoss

Gholston is climbing

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

"A bit surprised to see Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie go this high? I wouldn't be so shocked. Following up on his stellar Senior Bowl, DRC ran an unofficial 4.28 40, notched a 38.5-inch vertical and leaped a broad jump of 10 feet, 11 inches. He looked like a man amongst boys in the drills, earning Deion Sanders' praise. I would be extremely surprised if he wasn't drafted with the first 10 picks.

Something else I can't believe is that New England is drafting seventh overall just a few months after their conquest for 19-0 came to an unfortunate end. This is like the Suns stealing first-round selections from the Atlanta Hawks and New York Knicks every year (and without David Stern rigging the draft too.) It's just not fair.

I recently had Leodis McKelvin going here, but he's off the board. Before that, Ryan Clady, which I still think could happen. However, in the wake of Asante Samuel and Randall Gay both leaving New England, cornerback will be a much greater need than the right tackle position. Besides, drafting a right tackle in the Top 10 isn't the smartest thing in the world when a player of equal talent fills a need that's much more prominent"

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be disappointed if we took a CB that early. Based on what I've been seeing/reading, there are a lot of CBs who could fit well with the Pats, rounds 1-4 really. And even the elite guys, DRC included, could be had in the middle of round 1.

That's why I'm still hoping for a trade down.

Honestly, in the case Gholston or either of the Longs isn't there at 7, and we can't work a trade down involving multiple 08 picks, we'd have to seriously considering trading down and out into 09, which is an easier scenario to accomplish. I think we'd all rather have more picks this year given some of the holes we have to fill.

Last edited:
In a draft like this with 6 blue chip prospects and only a few red chip prospects; some of the more intriguing 3rd level prospects have to go higher than in most years where the red chips are more numerous.

As we continue to take FA hits in the secondary, people not as familar with the BB way of doing business as we are, are going to start slotting CB's into the #7 hole.

I think it is important to realize BB drafts for value. When value also happens to equal need (Wilfork) so much the better.

BB can get some good quality CBs in the 2nd 3rd and 4th round in this draft. He can get good quality OT's and RB's there as well. QB, LB, WR, TE and Interior O-line guys are going to be tougher to find down that low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes