PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Updated cap status report - March 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwc

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
ESPN's John Clayton just posted an updated list of the cap status for all NFL teams, based on a $92 million cap, as of 1:50 pm on Wed. March 1st. Although he doesn't say, I believe he gets these numbers from the league

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2349505

He shows the Pats as $1.5 million under the cap.

Other notables:

Pittsburgh: $7 million over
Indy: $9.4 million over
Jets: $11.1 million over
Broncos: $16.4 million over
Dolphins: $21.9 million over

Bills: $2 million under

Last edited:
The jets have done an amzing job so far. A restructuring of Penny and cutting/trading Abraham will put them under by a reasonable amount. Not bad since they started $30M over.

mgteich said:
The jets have done an amzing job so far.

I know what you are saying. However, $11 million over the cap without a healthy starting QB on the roster doesn't sound that great to me! As bad as the Jets are, you'd to be under the cap and looking to improve. With the cupboard already bare, $11 million over the cap sux.

mgteich said:
The jets have done an amzing job so far. A restructuring of Penny and cutting/trading Abraham will put them under by a reasonable amount. Not bad since they started $30M over.

But I don't think Abraham is likely to be traded by Friday, is he?

Pennington will take a reduction or be cut by Friday however - but with Abraham still under the franchise tag they'll have to find some cap room elsewhere.

Your point is still a good one however.

I'm amazed to see what trouble the Fins are in - and am wondering who they let go.

JoeSixPat said:
I'm amazed to see what trouble the Fins are in - and am wondering who they let go.

The entire starting defense?

They got the cap number down, but did it by releasing a bunch of players. On a terrible team, I wouldnt call getting to 11 mill over by cutting some of your better players a good job. Perhaps it was all they could do, but I'd say restructuring, trading, doing whatever to get down to 11mill WITHOUT reducing talent a lot would be a good job.

I dont remember all of the cuts but I know Fabini, their best OL is gone. Law, there best DB is gone, and Abraham, their best defensive player will be gone and thats still not getting them under the cap.

I'm not sure what the basis of 'good job' is. Getting rid of 20mill worth of talent to save 20mill on the cap when you have little talent to begin with doesnt seem to qualify.

AndyJohnson said:
They got the cap number down, but did it by releasing a bunch of players. On a terrible team, I wouldnt call getting to 11 mill over by cutting some of your better players a good job. Perhaps it was all they could do, but I'd say restructuring, trading, doing whatever to get down to 11mill WITHOUT reducing talent a lot would be a good job.

I dont remember all of the cuts but I know Fabini, their best OL is gone. Law, there best DB is gone, and Abraham, their best defensive player will be gone and thats still not getting them under the cap.

I'm not sure what the basis of 'good job' is. Getting rid of 20mill worth of talent to save 20mill on the cap when you have little talent to begin with doesnt seem to qualify.

Great point. I find it hard to believe that a collection of bullsh!t players, like Miami, is 22 million over the cap. That's Bobby Grier style right there. Giving out huge contracts to Max Lane and the like.

I haven't studied Miami's situation, but they have a LOT of high-priced veterans on the defensive side of the ball -- high-priced veterans who have done a lot of funny-money restructures overs the years.

Saban was always in a race against time to get a little offensive production before he had to blow up the defense.

Man, there will be a so-called "Bloody Thursday" if this deal doesn't get done.

I agree that the organization was and is in really bad shape. Previous decisions have killed them. I just think that they have done what they needed to do. When they know the new cap numbers, they will act as needed with Abraham and Pennington.

And no, I don't expect the jets to be competititive until at least 2008. I expect them to draft their QB, who will take a couple of years to develop.

AndyJohnson said:

The Broncos just released Trevor Pryce, Mike Anderson and Jeb Putzier.

Mooch said:

I wouldn't mind having Mike Anderson behind CD at all. I'm sure he'll command a pricetag though.

Mooch said:
This is getting kinda fun! :singing: Looks like Cobbs will now be the power back in Denver.

Box_O_Rocks said:
This is getting kinda fun! :singing: Looks like Cobbs will now be the power back in Denver.

He'll be backing up Ron Dayne.

Suddenly our RB stable looks pretty good to me.

mgteich said:
I agree that the organization was and is in really bad shape. Previous decisions have killed them. I just think that they have done what they needed to do. When they know the new cap numbers, they will act as needed with Abraham and Pennington.

And no, I don't expect the jets to be competititive until at least 2008. I expect them to draft their QB, who will take a couple of years to develop.

I just found your comment saying it was an amazing job curious.

They HAVE TO get under the cap.

All they really did was a math problem, saying we need 30mill, this player will get us x, this one y, etc.

A terrible job would also have gotten them under the cap, because they have to be under it.

By the way, Ive heard Mawae will be cut too.

They have lost more good players than they kept.

If you haven't seen it yet, anyone reading thru this thread ... also wants to read the update:

Updated cap status - March 2

ESPN's John Clayton just reported the update cap status of all 32 teams as of Thurs. March 2. These numbers reflect the final $94 million league-wide cap announced yesterday and reflect yesterday's transactions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2349505

The Pats are now $4 million under the cap.

- courtesy of hwc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing