Welcome to PatsFans.com

Update on the US Embassy in Bagdad...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Jun 11, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

Discussed this before, but the 104 acre embassy is taking shape in downtown Bagdad... guess we will have a presence there for a while... read in other articles that the people of Bagdad are upset as they only have partial electricity and inside the compound it is lit day and nite to facilitate building, as well as the US was given the land for free. I guess the other question is why don't they hire Iraq people, instead in bringing in immigrant labor... a lot of this does not make sense to me.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/world/3876208.html

it's hard keeping a 104-acre complex rising on the banks of the Tigris River hidden. Anyone who cares to know can easily see four giant construction cranes towering over the river at the largest such project ever undertaken by the United States — a symbol of American presence that will last well into the future.

Baghdad may have little potable water and only a few hours of electricity a day, but the embassy complex will have its own water treatment facilities and electricity generator.

First Kuwaiti General Trading and Contracting, a subcontractor of Houston-based Halliburton's Kellogg, Brown and Root, was granted the $592 million construction contract. By December, it had already been paid about $483 million.

The construction project is larger than that of any U.S. Embassy built on foreign soil. In 2004, the Bureau of Overseas Building Operations said the U.S. Embassy in China was the largest embassy construction project, but at a 10 acres and five buildings, it isn't even comparable to what's going up here.
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

My guess is that they're aren't local companies with the capabilities to handle this kind of project. If your familiar with construction you will be aware of the lead time required for this type of project, not many functioning construction companies in Iraq in 2003-2004 when the contracts wuld have been awarded.

then there are the obivious securities issues and the type of target this would provode to Al Queda.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

I am not talking about the actual companies, although it is more than coincidence that a Haliburton Company has the contract, but why when unemployment is so high amongst the Iraqi people, bring in Kuwaiti labor??
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I wonder why there weren't many "functioning" construction companies in Iraq after we destroyed their infrastructure. Stupid Iraqis...don't even have enough power plants to provide electricity. Now we have to build them! I hope they appreciate what we do to - er...I mean for - them.
    :(
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Perhaps there is some fear that terrorist could be in among the Iraqi workers. This could be a security issue?
  6. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Are we paying for this now, or is this being added to the national debt?
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Don't be rediculous! Why pay now for what you can pay for later? :cool: