Update on Spikes Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
By: Derek Havens

Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe reported this morning that the two sides haven't made any progress, and it appears that things may be taking a turn for the worst....

So... he got suspended for taking Adderall? If so, that sucks and he was incredibly dumb to do that. Hopefully it doesn't cost us in the standings.

Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe reported this morning that the two sides haven't made any progress, and it appears that things may be taking a turn for the worst....

What does that mean? What two sides and progress towards what? There is nothing like that in the article.

If Spikes has a bottle of the medicine with his name on it then he is simply negligent.
If he doesn't then we have a whole other issue here that stinks. While some may say either situation is dumb, only the latter truly is. One is a matter of dilgence/the other deceit.

I can think of two scenarios as to why he took Aderall or Ritalin. Neither of them are good, at all. (And a third, very unlikely scenario that would be the positive scenario).

One (most likely) - People use Aderall and Ritalin recreationally. It's known as a "poor man's cocaine." He was partying, probably with a girl(s) and they decided to sniff some crushed up pills. This, coupled with his chatroulette adventures, calls his maturity into question and makes me wonder if he's really ready to be a professional athlete. He's also 22 so let's hope he learns from this.

Two - There is a reason that amphetamines are banned in the NFL. If he was taking these drugs before games to give himself a little bit of extra zip, it's cheating. It's also very dangerous. I hope that's not what the case is here, but the fact is that Aderall helps people stay focused so maybe he thinks it helps him stay sharp during games.

Three (homer glasses) - He takes it to keep himself focused when learning the playbook. The reason why the drug exists is to help people study. Maybe he takes it to help learn a complicated defense. Anyone who believes this, I got some beans to sell you.

The bright side is that it's not straight up steroids or HGH (assuming we believe him) so I doubt we'll see a production decline unless he was using it before games. This is more serious than marijuana, though, and calls his judgment into question big time. A guy has a smoke with a friend, I give him a pass and hope he waits until the offseason next time. This circumstance isn't good for Brandon's reputation and I hope it's a real wake up call for him. This is not the University of Florida, it's time to get with the program.

Is Mike Reiss back at the Globe?

You might consider that he took the drug for the reason the first sentence of the article indicated.

"Reports came out this morning that Patriots rookie linebacker Brandon Spikes took medicine designed to combat attention deficit disorder."

I can think of two scenarios as to why he took Aderall or Ritalin. Neither of them are good, at all. (And a third, very unlikely scenario that would be the positive scenario).

One (most likely) - People use Aderall and Ritalin recreationally. It's known as a "poor man's cocaine." He was partying, probably with a girl(s) and they decided to sniff some crushed up pills. This, coupled with his chatroulette adventures, calls his maturity into question and makes me wonder if he's really ready to be a professional athlete. He's also 22 so let's hope he learns from this.

Two - There is a reason that amphetamines are banned in the NFL. If he was taking these drugs before games to give himself a little bit of extra zip, it's cheating. It's also very dangerous. I hope that's not what the case is here, but the fact is that Aderall helps people stay focused so maybe he thinks it helps him stay sharp during games.

Three (homer glasses) - He takes it to keep himself focused when learning the playbook. The reason why the drug exists is to help people study. Maybe he takes it to help learn a complicated defense. Anyone who believes this, I got some beans to sell you.

The bright side is that it's not straight up steroids or HGH (assuming we believe him) so I doubt we'll see a production decline unless he was using it before games. This is more serious than marijuana, though, and calls his judgment into question big time. A guy has a smoke with a friend, I give him a pass and hope he waits until the offseason next time. This circumstance isn't good for Brandon's reputation and I hope it's a real wake up call for him. This is not the University of Florida, it's time to get with the program.

Makes sense. I've always thought playing for Mr. Belichick is sometimes comparable to my med school experience.

You might consider that he took the drug for the reason the first sentence of the article indicated.

"Reports came out this morning that Patriots rookie linebacker Brandon Spikes took medicine designed to combat attention deficit disorder."

Just because the medication is designed to combat ADHD doesn't mean that was why he took it. That is the point of his post. Also, he did consider it. It was #3, which may still be all this was. I think his point is that it is hard to know where the truth lies in all of this.

Personally, I am going to assume innocence until proven guilty.

You're completely foolish if you think a 22 year old man not in school anymore is regularly taking Aderall for ADHD. I mean if you want to believe that, fine, but I hope you're not a cop or a judge because we're in trouble if so.

Here is some reality for you: Throughout my 20s, which just recently ended, I saw Aderall and Ritalin being crushed up as a recreational drug countless times. People go to doctors and say, "yeah i have trouble focusing" and get a script for it, then they sniff it because if you don't actually have a bad case of ADHD it's like cocaine. The image of Brandon Spikes being concerned that he can't read his novel at night without wanting to check ESPN every few minutes so he takes Ritalin pills is laughable. Just about the only reasonable circumstance I can imagine for that is he's desperately trying to learn the playbook, and I wish he'd come out and say that if so. I don't think we'll know the truth here but I really think this happened while he was out partying. Ironically, if it had been coke he wouldn't have gotten the four game ban...

Last edited:
Just because the medication is designed to combat ADHD doesn't mean that was why he took it. That is the point of his post. Also, he did consider it. It was #3, which may still be all this was. I think his point is that it is hard to know where the truth lies in all of this.

Personally, I am going to assume innocence until proven guilty.

ADD is pretty common, so I'm not going to jump to conclusions. I do wish he'd exercise better judgment, this is the second questionable instance with him this year.

There's some real talk in this thread right here, my fellow Pats fans. :cool:

Last edited:
ADD is pretty common, so I'm not going to jump to conclusions. I do wish he'd exercise better judgment, this is the second questionable instance with him this year.

Very true, and I'm sure Belichick 101 is more like a 300 level course. :cool:

What does that mean? What two sides and progress towards what? There is nothing like that in the article.

Is Mike Reiss back at the Globe?

Could this article preview have been copied and pasted from an article about a player's contract dispute from what... 1? 2? years ago? How long has Reiss been with ESPNB?

Rick Fox came out late in his career about this history of ADHD. It is consistently (over) diagnosed now and I am surprised more NFL players are not diagnosed or being treated for it. Wouldn't the Pats know if he had ADHD before drafting him (not that it is a reason not to)?

Read the Article

Have no idea who the two sides are, no idea what progress the two unknown sides where trying to make, and no idea what is meant by turn for the worse.

Read the Article

Have no idea who the two sides are, no idea what progress the two unknown sides where trying to make, and no idea what is meant by turn for the worse.

I tend to think the preview was for a different story than the one posted.

Read the Article

That's a headline from the Brady contract negotiations, methinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots