Update on Poole's roster bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

Patriots Salary Cap Guru
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
IIRC, in 2004 his roster bonus was due the 7th day of the League year. If that holds true for 2006, it would mean that the roster bonus will be due on the 18th. On March 8, 2005 the Boston Herald reported that "Poole's agent, Hadley Engelhard, believes the [roster] bonus is due today." In 2005 March 8th was the 7th day of that league year. Since the 2006 league started on the 11th, the 7th day of the league year is the 18th which means that if the Patriots do not release Poole by 4 PM EDT on Friday, he will get his roster bonus.

LOL, I just realized my mistake. :D I added 7 to 11 and got 18 neglecting to take into account that the 11th was the 1st day.

Good info Poole will be gone..I would think quite quickly. Is there any reason to NOT cut him early?? Just trying to understand why they may not cut him until just before...what do the Pats gain...or lose if they do.

smg93 said:
Sorry, dumb question. But what does this mean?
If
I
Recall
Correctly

Ok, thanks very much! I've seen it a couple of times and I was wondering what it meant. :D

Poole is cheap for a CB, though.

The last couple years have seen sick money thrown around at CB, the latest example being the 6 yr/$32M/$10M SB contract Brian Williams received from the Jags.

CB is a premium position and decent cover guys get paid. Poole may be injury-prone, but he does have cover skills when he plays and he comes relatively cheap for the position. That might save him from release.

NE39 said:
Poole is cheap for a CB, though.

The last couple years have seen sick money thrown around at CB, the latest example being the 6 yr/$32M/$10M SB contract Brian Williams received from the Jags.

CB is a premium position and decent cover guys get paid. Poole may be injury-prone, but he does have cover skills when he plays and he comes relatively cheap for the position. That might save him from release.

He played in one game last year at $1.5 million. Bye Bye Poole.

I'm not sure Poole has shown he wants to play football. He's shown as much by retiring and then contemplating retirement while with the Pats. If he decides to give 100% and not drag out his injuries, he's well worth the money and I would keep him. So I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Pats keep him, if they can't sign a FA CB on their terms by Friday. And that's not looking too promising. Even if they sign one later they can always trade Poole, since his cap number is very reasonable. Or they can draft one and if the rook shows enough in TC then Poole could be dealt at that time.

Why keep a guy who doesn`t want to play
and cut willie who wants to play

Last edited:
There's a lot of Poole bashing considering that none of us actually know what his injury was.

Two years ago it was his knee.
Last year it was his ankle. One of the reasons I question his dedication to football is how it was said "he'll be back any day now" for a couple of weeks and then all of a sudden he was placed on injured reserve. You're right. We don't know the extent of the injuries but sometimes you can read between the lines.

borisman said:
but sometimes you can read between the lines.
I agree and my gut feeling isn't positive with him . . . but you know how the Patriots are with injuries, he may have had a setback that we didn't know about. Heck, they IRed Randall Gay midseason due to a badly sprained ankle.

Cutting Poole now or cutting him later is only a difference in $500K. His agent is claiming he is now fully healthy and eager to play. If the Pats are hearing the same from the player, and have perhaps in some way gauged both his current health and desire, it's probably worth paying the extra $$ to keep him at least until camp and see how it goes. The only real risk that poses is if it alters their view in constructing a roster and then he punks out for the third season in a row.

The risk is that he is injured in minicamp or training camp and we owe another year of IR.

If he is healthy, and really want to play, he is competing for a starting position, not just a roster spot. In anyc ase, I think we'll have at least seven corners in camp, all of whom could start or be the nickel, as we did last year.

MoLewisrocks said:
Cutting Poole now or cutting him later is only a difference in $500K. His agent is claiming he is now fully healthy and eager to play. If the Pats are hearing the same from the player, and have perhaps in some way gauged both his current health and desire, it's probably worth paying the extra $$ to keep him at least until camp and see how it goes. The only real risk that poses is if it alters their view in constructing a roster and then he punks out for the third season in a row.

Last edited:
Poole was already on the decline by the end of the 03 season, getting burnt regularly (ie, the Super Bowl).

I like Poole, bring him back.

Miquel:

Last night on NFL Network, Adam Shefter was talking about a high-profile player with a roster bonus due on March 15th -- I can't remember, it might have been Dante Culpepper, doesn't matter. Anyway, Shefter mentioned that since the "start of the league year" had been pushed back with all the CBA extension delays, the dates for a roster bonus payment have been pushed backa corresponding amount.

I don't know if that depends on the exact language of the contract or if it is a general league-wide interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back