PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Upcoming contract decisions and related factors

Status
Not open for further replies.

micronin127

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I think the Patriots do a great job managing their salary cap. Here are the players that I think the team has to make decisions:
1. Nate Solder: on 5th year option. Would be hard to replace. Agent is a factor as David Dunn also represents Wes Welker and that ended poorly.
2. Stephen Gostkowski: on franchise tag. Again, hard to replace, though easier than left tackle.
3. Chandler Jones: team has exercised option for 5th year (2016). Team also brought in a free agent (Sheard) who plays DE and drafted 3 more (Grissom, Flowers, ****son). With teams paying DE's (Cam Jordan) at a little over $10 million. Team may be hedging its bets with FA and the draft.
4. Donta Hightower: team has exercised option for 5th year (2016). Really developed with Mayo missing most of the last two seasons.
5. Jerod Mayo: team re-did contract with an option next offseason. This structure allows team to decline the option and still have the player count for compensatory draft pick (Revis, Browner, Wilfork).

I think the Patriots do a great job managing their salary cap. Here are the players that I think the team has to make decisions:
1. Nate Solder: on 5th year option. Would be hard to replace. Agent is a factor as David Dunn also represents Wes Welker and that ended poorly.
2. Stephen Gostkowski: on franchise tag. Again, hard to replace, though easier than left tackle.
3. Chandler Jones: team has exercised option for 5th year (2016). Team also brought in a free agent (Sheard) who plays DE and drafted 3 more (Grissom, Flowers, ****son). With teams paying DE's (Cam Jordan) at a little over $10 million. Team may be hedging its bets with FA and the draft.
4. Donta Hightower: team has exercised option for 5th year (2016). Really developed with Mayo missing most of the last two seasons.
5. Jerod Mayo: team re-did contract with an option next offseason. This structure allows team to decline the option and still have the player count for compensatory draft pick (Revis, Browner, Wilfork).

Yet, Welker has very recently said he'd be fine with coming back to the Pats. You might want to put Jamie Collins on there too. He's entering his 3rd year. He's eligible for free agency after 2016 season. Same as Hightower and Chandler Jones. I hope we extend Solder before this season is over. If we have to release Mayo in order to make room for Hightower and Collins, SO BE IT. I want to see a little more from Chandler this year before I lock him up long-term.

Solder, Gostkowski, Jones and Hightower are no brainers if we can make the numbers work.. Mayo is a wait and see situation.

You might want to put Jamie Collins on there too. He's entering his 3rd year. He's eligible for free agency after 2016 season.

Totally forgot that because he's a 2nd rounder we don't have a 5th year option. He's definitely a consideration as a core defender we should look to square away.

Solder, Gostkowski, Jones and Hightower are no brainers if we can make the numbers work.. Mayo is a wait and see situation.
Yes, Solder, Gostkowski, Jones, Hightower, AND Collins are no-brainers, IF we can make the numbers work. But then that is the point of the thread, making the numbers work.

As much as I like him on the team for his flashy plays and swagger, Chandler Jones will probably walk when his contract ends. When he goes to free agency, he'll make elite DE money and frankly, he doesn't deserve it. At times, he gets mauled by linemen (Kansas City game was particularly ugly), is weak against the run, and he seems to get injured a lot. Most importantly, he doesn't have the versatility that Belichick favors in his DE's. Willie Mac, Seymour, Ninko, and even Big Vince all had/have more position flexibility than Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes