PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Unsung Pats Hero of 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsWickedPissah

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
OK, we've all read volumes of well-deserved praise for the wunderkidks Mankin and Kaczur on the OL, but little ink or talk has followed Hochstein's quietly competent replacement of the Pats fine center Dan Koppen. I'll admit that when Koppen went down I had fleeting thoughts of, "the final straw" and "Well it's not like we had a chance with all these injuries" but Warren Sapp's least favorite player has played at at least an adequate level thru the regular season. Let's hope he can handle the superior front sevens of the playoffs.

I think he's the unsung hero of '05.

PatsWickedPissah said:
OK, we've all read volumes of well-deserved praise for the wunderkidks Mankin and Kaczur on the OL, but little ink or talk has followed Hochstein's quietly competent replacement of the Pats fine center Dan Koppen. I'll admit that when Koppen went down I had fleeting thoughts of, "the final straw" and "Well it's not like we had a chance with all these injuries" but Warren Sapp's least favorite player has played at at least an adequate level thru the regular season. Let's hope he can handle the superior front sevens of the playoffs.

The director has done it well. Kudos to Hochstein.

Hochstein is a great choice... I'd also take Vrabel. Moved inside, which allowed Rosey to move outside... has done everything asked of him and more.

I'd say Hochstein, too. Vrabel I love, but he's too damn good to be considered "unsung."

1. Dante
2. Ty Warren
3. Horst
4. Vrabes

Don't forget about his uncanny ability in those Visa commercials.

His classic "Hi there" to Brady's fake girlfriend

Not to mention his "Why can't I be the Director"

In all seriousness, not bad for a guy that Fat Sapp said couldn't play. I loved him in the backfield last year, I though that he "plowed the raod" quite nicely.

Who's with me for good ole Hank!

UNSUNG HEROS
1. Dante
2. Hochstein
3. Warren

These three were huge difference makers in the regular season.
We, and the media, have sung the praises of Mankins, Kaycur, Vrabel and Hobbs.

PatsWickedPissah said:

Hochstein's a good choice but I gotta go with Josh Miller! He's had an outstanding year and has given us some great field positions!

Hochstein's the one.
he's on the verge of becoming a permanent boston icon if he keeps this up.
like henry (hank) finkel with the celtics.
or mike eruzione in hockey.
dave (hendu) henderson of the redsox.
thesse guys still can't buy their own drinks in boston.

checkedout said:
Who's with me for good ole Hank!
Nah, Hank's gone from a one bandwagon bongo to a Caribbean steel drum marching band.

Unsung heros:
Hochstein - reportedly one low shotgun snap to Cassel, but I haven't confirmed that yet.
Warren - THE run stuffer on the D-line.
Fauria - a blocking fool, look at the pancakes against Will Smith in the Saints' game.
Starks - you play hurt/nearly crippled to buy time for the rookie to get trained up, the guy is a Patriot.
The Practice Squad - remember what Rosie said about working against Britt, and remember how Sey got his groove back for the Super Bowl working against Yates last season.
Beisel and Chad Brown - for playing above their heads as the sacrificial lambs during the killer phase of the schedule.
Stone - for being a Special Teams demon.

I agree with Hochstein, but my choice is Mike Vrabel. With Tedy, Sey and Rodney out, Mike was the field general out there and kept everyone on the same page.

PatsChick87 said:
Hochstein's a good choice but I gotta go with Josh Miller! He's had an outstanding year and has given us some great field positions!

I agree with this entirely! Miller's gotten some props around here, but generally speaking he flies under the radar (as do most punters...). But he's had a great year, with what seems to be excellent hangtime on many of his kicks, which has really limited the ability of returners to break out yardage. You can never over-estimate the importance of field position...and Miller's really improved (by reducing) the opponents' starting field position.

I guess a punter is kinda like a bass player in a band...if you don't really notice the job he's doing, there's a good chance he's doing a good one.

My 3 picks:
1. Vince Wilfork, who in spite of a tremendous amount of media and fan disgust early in the season has quietly picked up his game.

2. Artrell Hawkins for a mid-season pickup coming in totally unfamiliar with the Pat's complex system for DB's has really helped the Pat's out.

3. Russ Hochstein doesn't get nearly enough credit for coming in and playing Center. He should get better.

Last edited:
lobster said:
My 3 picks:
1. Vince Wilfork, who in spite of a tremendous amount of media and fan disgust early in the season has quietly picked up his game.

2. Artrell Hawkins for a mid-season pickup coming in totally unfamiliar with the Pat's complex system for DB's has really helped the Pat's out.

3. Russ Hochstein doesn't get nearly enough credit for coming in and playing Center. He should get better.

Good choices, although Hawkins hasn't been around long enough to be sung or unsung.

I'd go with Hobbs. Up through the Indy game, that corner spot was torched repeatedly. Hobbs stepped into that starting spot at Miami and although Gus had a 300+yd game, the D started getting back into bend-but-don't-break mode. That trend continued vs. KC despite the lone Hobbs breakdown on the long TD pass (the chinstrap play). Around midway through the 3rd quarter of that game, the D started playing the way it needed to if the team wants to win another title. They've played solid since then and the keys have been Seymour's presence up front, Bruschi quarterbacking the D, Vrabel's excellent transition to the inside, Colvin's pass rushing and Hobbs' good play. We expect the other guys named to do well, but didn't expect Hobbs to play a crucial role.

As runner up, I'd go with ALL of the OL. The Tampa game, with out-of-position Ashworth at LT, rookie Mankins at LG, backup Hochstein at C, never-took-a-college-snap Neal at RG and backup Gorin at RT, was the epitome of the excellent job the OL has done all year despite the various injuries. The only reason I don't give them top billing is because the run blocking has been mediocre and the pass blocking has looked better than it really has been due to Brady's *outstanding* year...I never thought I'd enjoy watching a QB's footwork in the pocket, but he really is amazing at buying that extra second when everything is falling apart around him.

Regards,
Chris

I had a heated discussion with a poster a while back about Hochstein. He didn't feel that Hochstein was a competent starter for our O line. He has proven for a second season now that that just isn't true. As I have said before, Neal doesn't have a leg to stand on in negotiations this offseason because Hochstein could easily do his job.

huskeralk said:
I had a heated discussion with a poster a while back about Hochstein. He didn't feel that Hochstein was a competent starter for our O line. He has proven for a second season now that that just isn't true. As I have said before, Neal doesn't have a leg to stand on in negotiations this offseason because Hochstein could easily do his job.

Yes, that is why Neal and Mankins were the Starting guards and Hochstein was warming the bench for the 1st 9 games of the season.

Sorry, but Hochstein hasn't proven that he could EASILY do Neal's job. Hochstein has been beaten on more than a few occasions. Including on the safety that the Dolphins got on Cassel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes