PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Unsung Heroes - TBC, Don Davis, Kevin Faulk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoWesleyan

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
The three biggest plays of the game were made by 2nd tier guys. TBC and Davis were borderline on making the team in my mind. Just goes to show the value of depth.

TBC's play was the key to Warren's safety... but Warren made the play.

Hope to see more good stuff from TBC when Bruschi comes back... Any chance he starts on the outside and Vrabel stays at ILB. (Seau sits)

GoWesleyan said:
The three biggest plays of the game were made by 2nd tier guys. TBC and Davis were borderline on making the team in my mind. Just goes to show the value of depth.

Hope to see more good stuff from TBC when Bruschi comes back... Any chance he starts on the outside and Vrabel stays at ILB. (Seau sits)

TBC??? I want the man fired, not praised!

GoWesleyan said:

I doubt very much Seau would sit. If Bruschi plays my money is on a rotation of inside linebackers.

Garbanza said:
TBC??? I want the man fired, not praised!

Garbanza,

I've agreed with you elsewhere. But... This time you've inserted your cranium in to a cloacal cavity. TBC had a spectacular game. I reviewed the tape thrice now and he looks better with each viewing. I think we see another Vrabel in the making...:eek:

AzPatsFan said:
Garbanza,

I've agreed with you elsewhere. But... This time you've inserted your cranium in to a cloacal cavity. TBC had a spectacular game. I reviewed the tape thrice now and he looks better with each viewing. I think we see another Vrabel in the making...:eek:
Monster!

Kevin Faulk is tight and underrated.

I really hope TBC turns into a Vrabel type player. He already has the pass rush skills.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Monster!

Box,

I could not tape the game, so I have been reviewing it on the comcast digital replay show (13 min.), and in my mind's eye. It seems that TBC takes bad angles, and misses a lot of tackles, every game. Even on the safety, he had Loseman dead to rights and whiffed. Please enlighten me; I could use the good news. What did you see that causes you to describe TBC's game as a monster? Thanks.

P.S.: Davis made a very good tackle on McGahee on the 4th/1; however, I still do not like him at all as an ILB. Bruschi's return will obviously help, but the backup ILB still needs an upgrade over Mr.Davis.

captain stone said:
Box,

I could not tape the game, so I have been reviewing it on the comcast digital replay show (13 min.), and in my mind's eye. It seems that TBC takes bad angles, and misses a lot of tackles, every game. Even on the safety, he had Loseman dead to rights and whiffed. Please enlighten me; I could use the good news. What did you see that causes you to describe TBC's game as a monster? Thanks.

P.S.: Davis made a very good tackle on McGahee on the 4th/1; however, I still do not like him at all as an ILB. Bruschi's return will obviously help, but the backup ILB still needs an upgrade over Mr.Davis.
I'll have more when I get back to the tape, but I did the first defensive series of the second half and stuck it in the Buffalo Breakdown thread - on that series he looked like he played his responsibility and Sey was the one getting beaten. It was interesting to note that he was having no trouble working against the TEs, got good leverage on them and moved them as he desired. I came away from the game Sunday with a generally good impression of him, shaky for Seymour and Neal, and a big question mark for Seau. Since I did have that impression and AZ is also getting that vibe watching his tape, I switched hats from analyst to fan for a moment - but I'll give you more detail before the Jest game. ;)

As for Davis, I was pleased with what looked like his improvement inside during the preseason. For his size he was doing better at stacking the Guards. I prefer him for situational work and Special Teams, and agree he wouldn't hold up well inside for any length of time, but I like his current roles. Considering he was in Bruschi's spot for that play, he did the job - and the quote on Patriots.com was great as he gave all the credit for the play to the line.

I also thought TBC was solid, although I admit that I have not reviewed game tape. He appeared to hold the edge well and was able to pressure the QB.

With tedy coming back, we will have a nice rotation of LB'ers to go with a tremendous D-line.

Let me get this straight. Seau, Bruschi and Vrabel will share time at ILB while Banta-Cain gets more reps than any of them, starting at OLB. I have but one response. NOT!

mdhprime said:
I doubt very much Seau would sit. If Bruschi plays my money is on a rotation of inside linebackers.

captain stone said:
Give Davis a break. The man is 76 years old.

Patjew said:
Give Davis a break. The man is 76 years old.

Good one. I hope I'm not accused of playing the age card.

Thanks, Box. I'm now looking forward to watching the full replay on NFL Network. This NFL Replay format sounds like a winner.

BTW, are there any rumours out of Foxborough about signing anybody who was unemployed last week, esp. a WR and LB? No, Jonathan Smith does not count.

captain stone said:
Good one. I hope I'm not accused of playing the age card.

Thanks, Box. I'm now looking forward to watching the full replay on NFL Network. This NFL Replay format sounds like a winner.

BTW, are there any rumours out of Foxborough about signing anybody who was unemployed last week, esp. a WR and LB? No, Jonathan Smith does not count.
DB15 keeps trying to start a rumor about NEM taking over as head coach, that's the only one I've heard.

GoWesleyan said:

Go Wesleyan,

Isn't it great when the depth on our roster comes through and deliver a win. Unlike others I think TBC has already demonstrated that he is a regular who is Producing.

After four yrars of grooming he is ready. Don Davis is probably playing his last year. But he was a starting MLB on a Super Bowl team.

I expect the starting LB corps to be Colvin 29, Bruschi 33, Vrabel 31, and TBC 26. That is actually quite young.

The foursome can play together for another three years baring injury. The new reserves are Woods 23, outside and Seau 37 & Davis 33, inside, but I expect Chad Brown 36, back as additional outside depth.

captain stone said:
Box,

I was at the game - so perhaps I did not have the best view....but what I saw - and everyone else sitting near me that complained about it - he looked like sh*t out there.

I didn't think TBC looked bad at all. I thought, actually, that Seymour looked a little rusty and that might have contributed to the early breakdown in run defense.

I'll have to watch the game again tonight just to make sure.

I have to agree with the Cap'N. TBC is still very young and inexperienced and tends to overpursue. He is too aggresive and does not think enough, yet. But this is to be expected, this is similar to Vince Wilfork last year. He was over aggressive initially and tried to beat everyone through athleticism. In time and practice TBC will refine his game and use his experience to best pursue the QB and RB. This said, I am very happy with TBC progress and ability, I'm hoping in a few weeks when he comes around the corner he can get the safety rather then relying on Warren to clean up.

mgteich said:
Let me get this straight. Seau, Bruschi and Vrabel will share time at ILB while Banta-Cain gets more reps than any of them, starting at OLB. I have but one response. NOT!

I don't believe mdhprime was even implying - much less, saying - that TBC would get more reps than S, B, and V.

It's quite a Rubik's cube ... which i describe to myself this way:

When everyone is healthy, in the 3-4 base
the starters are Colvin and Vrabel outside ... Bruschi and Seau inside.

For a 4-3 look, Seau sits.

The first relief pitcher inside is Vrabel. That's when TBC plays (outside).
TBC also spells both Vrabel and Colvin on the outside.

Vrabel is the key swing man, playing outside or in, and gets the most reps.
Colvin and Bru also play almost all of them.
I can't imagine yet whether TBC ends up playing more than Seau.

And, yes, it is nice to know that Chad Brown is still out there for emergencies.

Fascinated to note that both Box and AZ applaud Banta-Cain.
A little worried about the lukewarm appraisal of Junior.

Please correct any mistakes above.

flutie2phelan - I think you have the current rotation about as correct as we fans can see it.

I know that a number of folks on this board were certain that Davis was going to get cut. I think Belichick's valuation is considerably different. Next year he will be 34 going on 35, so speed may become an issue.

So many folks have pointed out in posts how long it took for Bruschi, Johnson, and McGinest (as examples) to really develop to their top level of play. I'm not sure, given that astute observation, why folks think they can expect Banta-Cain to not be a player in that mold - possibly getting better the more game experience he has. Especially, I really think we simply can't predict at all which way it will go - reach a plateau short of where he needs to be or continue to develop into a McGinest or Vrabel. At the moment, I don't see much justification yet for being pessimistic.

My impression of Seau at the moment (on much too few glimpses and little slo-mo review) is that he is still too eager to go toward the play instead of staying put and taking care of his responsibility (which would be no surprise considering how he played during his career). In a word, overpursuing. I would be awfully surprised if he isn't sharp enough to take feedback from the coaches and film analysis and adapt to the Patriots approach were he depends on other players to handle their responsibilities and stays home to take care of his. If he indeed is able to adapt and still take advantage of some of his slashing ability when it coincides with completely taking care of his responsibility (ie completely taking care of his gap but at the same time slashing thru to make plays for no gain or losses) we could be very pleased with having him. Only time and a number of plays will tell us. You can bet that the frequent conversations (I think we saw one Belichick mic'ed comment) will be to reinforce to him that he can't often risk his primary responsibility in order to take a chance on making a big play. Steady as she goes - bend but for sure not break - etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back