PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Unsung CHUNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Chung was my personal man of the match @PIT.
He is also one of the keys to the success of this D still struggling somewhat with pass rush and CB position (outside Butler).

1 - First praise goes to his incredible versatility - real swiss army knife - containing three positions in one body (S-CB-LB)

2 - Second praise goes to his great effectiveness
(the play on Bell in second gif is just burned in my mind)

3 - Third praise goes to his unbelievable durability (duracellity actually).
He almost never leaves the field. He even became core ST member on top of it in the last two weeks after Bolden and Richards were out.

I was happy to see a lot of praise for his great job this week. First here's from BB himself on Wednesday presser:

“He’s been on receivers, he’s been on fast tight ends, he’s been on big tight ends, he’s been on backs, he’s got good quickness, good strength. He’s instinctive, tough, mentally tough, physically tough, very good tackler. Guys can catch passes on him, but usually he tackles them so that keeps some of those plays from becoming bigger plays. And that’s important, too.
He can play zone, he can play man. He’s a versatile player for us. He helps us in a lot of ways and he plays in the kicking game and you’ve seen him make plays on special teams as well. He’s one of our best-conditioned athletes. He’s able to play a lot of plays and able to play them at a high level.”
- BB
_

The eighth-year safety finished with a team-high 10 tackles and added two passes defended. One of his pass breakups came in the end zone in the fourth quarter. Chung’s physical play against the run, coupled with his coverage skills, have made him a key cog in the secondary. -
Reiss

And finally from the man himself:

“I’m the same football player,” Chung said. “It’s just the game slowed down. I just relaxed and grew up.“

__

Here some nice articles from this week about Chung and the reasons for his resurgence second time around:

Belichick on Patrick Chung’s Second Stint With Patriots
Film Review: Patriots S Patrick Chung shows versatility vs Steelers
The redemption of Patrick Chung
No matter the assignment, Patriots safety Patrick Chung has it covered

Last edited:
Chung the redux was truly a revelation.

I'm sure many of us were ok to see him go (taking bad angles, ...) and confused that BB brought him back. But, ALL of us should be ESTATIC that he's with us. He's a difference maker in our system.

Last edited:
Really happy to see him emerge. He was one of my all time binkies the year that he was drafted. Huge hitter, good return man, and very instinctual on the field. His first few years we saw flashes of good play, but also some puzzling lapses of coverage and bad whiffs in tackling. I was disappointed, but now he is living up to my previous expectations. Great to know that he's no longer personally letting me down. ;)

Agree completely, he's turned himself into a great player who contributes all over.

Bill's comment about not "utilizing" him better is a very candid response for an NFL coach these days. It also points out that sometimes players fail here (and elsewhere) NOT because of anything that THEY did, but simply because they are in the wrong system for their skill set, and/or they weren't put into the right position to succeed by the staff.

That's why you see some players succeed in other places where they didn't here, or visa versa. What is rare is that Bill acknowledged that truth. But that's what makes him so great. He can acknowledge a 'mistake' and then go out and fix it, when he has the opportunity.

That is why I expect good things from Mingo down the road. Maybe not 'great' things, but good ones. He's more likely be put in position fo succeed HERE, than anywhere else in the league.. Remember Ninko came here to win a job as a long snapper. ;)

Beyond PC's play is how refreshing it is for BB to essentially admit that the team misused him the first time around. It takes a good manager to admit he made a mistake with an employee and thats exactly what he did.

You never, ever hear a coach say that.

If it was Bruce Ariens he would have said Patrick improved.- thats it.

I think it was 2 fold. Chung improved and BB found ways to use him that fit better for him. Chung can do 3 things really well. He can cover a RB, cover a TE and stop the run in the box. There is never a time that one of those things is not there to do. IDK the last time I saw a 5 WR set that was a true 5 WR set. Usually 3 WRs and a TE/RB or 4 WRs and a RB/TE. Chung always has a job if you let him do one of those things.

One of the surest tacklers in the NFL.

• Agree
Reactions: rfh
This thread is well deserved. I really enjoyed watching PC play against Steelers last Sunday. Solid hitter, little or no YAC which is what you want to see.

Man certainly has earned his contract. It has been so surprising seeing his excellent coverage skills as his time has gone on here.

i think if Chung was put in the role he had in his first stint, he would be much better at it than then

maybe not as good as he is at his current role, but i think he also has simply improved

Good job, it shows .. but strange choice of words there ..

Didn't know why returned. Thought he was camp fodder. Was waaaaaay off & glad to be wrong. The "new" Chung is making the Cassel trade seem more and more lopsided ach week.

Unchung Hero was right there, waiting to be used as a title. You blew it, @long distance

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back