PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Unsigned hatchet job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well whoever it is seems to be confident Reche Caldwell will be a faliure. Whoever wrote this is an idiot.

Kdo5 said:
Well whoever it is seems to be confident Reche Caldwell will be a faliure. Whoever wrote this is an idiot.

It was Ron Borges from his Sunday NFL column of horror.

Here is what he had to say about Reche....... " Chargers reject Reche Caldwell, and, one has to hope, a productive Jackson. Perhaps if Jackson starts fast Caldwell will resent seeing another University of Florida receiver having more success than he's had and raise both his game and his work ethic, but there's little reason to believe that will happen."

Seems to me that all he did was write what the obvious. Reche is a Charger reject and unless one is an optimist (such as myself), there is little reason to believe Caldwell will shine. Jeez Ron, maybe you could actually give something you write a little thought when it concerns the Pats? Your reasoning was weak, very weak.

Of course, what Borges fails to consider, yet again, is that BB/SP just might know a little more than he does. I suppose if Reche does well, it will be because of Borges lame brain reference to collegiate oneupmanship. That is terrible writing there. I think it makes more sense to simply point out that if he does well, it will be because the guy finally stays healthy and maximizes his talent and opportunity at this stage of his career on this football team.

I think, our recieving core may very well be much better than everyone thinks.

In the print copy Ron's name is plastered beneath the overall heading Football Notes. At the end it carries the usual disclaimer - "Material from personal interviews, wire services, other beat writers, and league and team sources was used in this report." What they always neglect to mention is where the Patriots are concerned Ron has no team sources and therefore the portion of his Football Notes columns relating to them is just a rehash of his bitter personal opinion. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my favorite part:

" Belichick allowed Adam Vinatieri to leave for relative chump change"

Chump change???? Even more.....*relative* chump change???? Didn't the Colts sign him to something like the biggest contract for a kicker ever???

RPCity said:
Here's my favorite part:

" Belichick allowed Adam Vinatieri to leave for relative chump change"

Chump change???? Even more.....*relative* chump change???? Didn't the Colts sign him to something like the biggest contract for a kicker ever???

That threw me too. Then I realized it was relative to the 15 mil we were under the cap.

We were supposed to give it all to Adam and work out the details later.

There's more twisted logic in this thing than than I can address, but our fear of Dom Capers is a riot.

Good Defensive co-ordinator who built the Jacksonville Defense. I'm sure.

Without looking it up, I'm guessing he had plenty young players and or draft picks.

Hellooo. We had twice as many, (approx?) draft picks as Mia this year, 2 of their possible #1s is smoking the Ganj up in Canada and their most talented defensive players are getting o-l-d.

If I'm wrong on any of that, I'll stand corrected.

Funny, It seems Capers was the be all and end all for the Pats at another time.

Paired up with Tom Donahoe, I believe. Somehow, I think we did allright without him.:D

Gotta be Borges, who else could look at this franchise and come up with so many negatives.... this is what he does, and then will whine because the Pats Mgt do not give him inside stuff.

Re: Unsigned hatchet job and the DEAL NO DEAL Upsahe at it again..

Borges..of course....and a hatchet job....
But what I thought was interesting was the deal story about Upshaw and how he wants a bitter fight in 08...He's basically an idiot..if he's planning on a bitter fight..he'll be the last to have any real feel for it...the players will get screwed and he'll be sitting pretty..as he has always..let HIM screw up the NFL and see how his legacy goes down..And think of the forgotten players who he basically pushes aside and spits on..I can't believe anyone would THINK of him as commish..THAT would be one way to kill the NFL...

That article is a big steaming pile of dung.
And the stench of Borges is all over it.
Where does he get this stuff? Now Dillon was mad about Heath Evans?
Ol' Ron's a real piece of... work.

RayClay said:
That threw me too. Then I realized it was relative to the 15 mil we were under the cap.

We were supposed to give it all to Adam and work out the details later.

Actually Adam was the one who decided to leave for chump change. The Colts offer wasn't all that much higher than what the Pats had offered him from the beginning. Adam just wanted to kick in a cushy dome and maybe, just maybe steal Peyton's thunder if the Colt's win a SB by being the man who changed the Colt's fortunes and brought them a Superbowl. Personally, he could have signed with GB or another team like that and I would have been not too upset about it. But for him to go to the Colts and use the excuse that the Colts wanted him more (maybe 3% more in compensation) is just plain baloney to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
CrazyDave said:
That article is a big steaming pile of dung.
And the stench of Borges is all over it.
Where does he get this stuff? Now Dillon was mad about Heath Evans?
Ol' Ron's a real piece of... work.

Dillon was upset about Heath Evans? Borges expects us to believe that crap?
At the time when Evans was signed, Faulk was recovering from his foot injury, Dillon was banged up and I think Patrick Pass had some physical issues also. Why in the world would Dillon be upset about the Pats going out to get some help in our offensive backfield? That is a load of BS, IMO.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. The football coverage in this town S.U.C.K.S.
I am tired of the opinion pieces and negative propaganda. Give me news d%#*!@t. Tell me how Rodney is doing? Tell me how Brady is working with the new players on offense. How does our LB situation look? I've heard about Beisel, and we all know what Vrabel, Colvin and Bruschi bring to the table. But there are many new faces at the LB position. How are they doing? Other than Reiss, Chris's blog, and Curran there is no decent football coverage in this town. :mad:

Last edited:
Well, maybe it's just me, but those are five decent questions. I suspect my answers aren't RB's:

(1) If the two-tight-end business works out we only really need Deion and one of Chad/Reche/Bam/Troy to do the business

(2) Corey Dillon is a great back who played his heart out for the team with an injury last season. How is having a young player to complement him going to be a problem?

(3) Yes, we need a kicker and it will be hard to find one as good as Adam -- but kickers aren't quarterbacks

(4) Cover corner? We don't need no stinking cover corner! If Rodney and Geno are on top form Blue and Asante will be plenty good enough -- and Ellis is a bonus.

(5) How do we deal with Daunte? Put him under pressure. How do we deal with Dom? Have a head coach who's smarter than him. :D

Mike the Brit said:
Well, maybe it's just me, but those are five decent questions. I suspect my answers aren't RB's:

(1) If the two-tight-end business works out we only really need Deion and one of Chad/Reche/Bam/Troy to do the business

(2) Corey Dillon is a great back who played his heart out for the team with an injury last season. How is having a young player to complement him going to be a problem?

(3) Yes, we need a kicker and it will be hard to find one as good as Adam -- but kickers aren't quarterbacks

(4) Cover corner? We don't need no stinking cover corner! If Rodney and Geno are on top form Blue and Asante will be plenty good enough -- and Ellis is a bonus.

(5) How do we deal with Daunte? Put him under pressure. How do we deal with Dom? Have a head coach who's smarter than him. :D

Quit making Ron look stupid, Mike. :bricks:

How do you people expect Ron to provide information about what is going on at Gillette in the freakin' off season when he seldome enters that facility except on game days when he's contractually obligated to? :nono:

A $3.5M signing bonus vs. none is not chump change. But it does implicitly guarantee you see 3 years worth of a similar deal you sign with one team as opposed to the other can cut your ass with no financial consequence any time they choose. Vinatieri's exit was less about chump change than committment.

Mike the Brit said:

The point is, this guy's been around the Pats forever.

It's not that he's totally making things up, it's that he picks at every possible negative or doubt and exaggerates it.

Fact is, Branch is signed for this year and Jackson was a great pick. I haven't heard that Caldwell's a malcontent, just the opposite. He's been injured.

Fact is Dillon was frustrated as hell last year and in a lot of pain. Plus, he probably wouldn't tell Borges his pants were on fire, so that's probably made up.

Adam Vinateiri would have been the highest paid kicker here or in Indy. He chose the dome.

Fact is, Borges is a very skilled writer and he is evil.

Just look at his face. It's the face of Batman's Joker pre-makeup.

Borges has a name for his pain. It is Belichick.:eek:

Right, Ray, I hate RB too!

Maybe it was just that I was feeling relaxed this morning (don't ask) but it seemed to me that the questions were reasonable enough -- there wasn't the kind of sneaky resentment and general malevolence that makes the guy unreadable in the normal course of events.

Mike the Brit said:
Right, Ray, I hate RB too!

Maybe it was just that I was feeling relaxed this morning (don't ask) but it seemed to me that the questions were reasonable enough -- there wasn't the kind of sneaky resentment and general malevolence that makes the guy unreadable in the normal course of events.

I predict next he'll have a puff piece saying all the new players look great and predicting they'll go all the way...

If the coaching is right.:bricks: :eek:

While its a typical dour "look on the dark side" Borges article, there ARE no guarantees that a rookie WR and a possible has-been-before-ever-was-Caldwell will have seasons that support a SB run.

In terms of the chump change on AV - I'd guess he's referring to the amount of $ between what the Pats offered AV and what he got from Indy... but that still assumes that AV would have given the Pats the chance to match - which he didn't.

In any event, although there are plenty of folks around here who never thought we needed to "waste" a high pick on a WR in the first place, as they are confident of Caldwell's talents, I'm one who would welcome additional veteran WR competition in camp - or once other teams shave down their rosters.

DefenseRules said:
Dillon was upset about Heath Evans? Borges expects us to believe that crap?
At the time when Evans was signed, Faulk was recovering from his foot injury, Dillon was banged up and I think Patrick Pass had some physical issues also. Why in the world would Dillon be upset about the Pats going out to get some help in our offensive backfield? That is a load of BS, IMO.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. The football coverage in this town S.U.C.K.S.
I am tired of the opinion pieces and negative propaganda. Give me news d%#*!@t. Tell me how Rodney is doing? Tell me how Brady is working with the new players on offense. How does our LB situation look? I've heard about Beisel, and we all know what Vrabel, Colvin and Bruschi bring to the table. But there are many new faces at the LB position. How are they doing? Other than Reiss, Chris's blog, and Curran there is no decent football coverage in this town. :mad:
Maybe Dillon was not in a great mood because his Dad had died earlier that week and he had just gotten hurt again.

But does Borges mention the man was overcoming a death in his family? No. 8 months later he makes him out to be selfish and jealous when Dillon isn't in town, nor are most of his teammates. They're probably out on vacation. No wonder why Borges waited this long to take a shot at someone grieving their father's death. If Borges had read his own paper, he would have known Dillon's father's had just died and his injury was getting him down at that point in last season. Pathetic. Borges is just a bad person.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...ns_hurting_deeply_and_in_many_ways/?page=full

J D Sal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back