Welcome to PatsFans.com

Unparallel Universes

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

In a rush for renewables Ted Turner calls for fast work in making the switch from fossil fuels

By BRETT CLANTON and TOM FOWLER
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

There's not much middle ground for Ted Turner when it comes to the future of energy in the United States.

"What we need is a moratorium on all new coal plants, on all new carbon-producing energy power technologies, and work on replacing them with renewable alternatives," the billionaire founder of CNN said Wednesday.

Turner also called for urgent action to address global climate change, which he referred to as the "single greatest challenge that humanity has ever faced."

"The biggest danger is we won't do enough soon enough," he said.

Turner was in Houston to speak before the Houston World Affairs Council, along with Timothy Wirth, a former U.S. senator from Colorado who now heads the United Nations Foundation, a charity to help support U.N. efforts formed by Turner in 1998.

He spoke with the Chronicle before the speech about his views on energy policy, his personal investment in DT Solar, a New Jersey company involved in large-scale solar power projects, and on a range of other topics.

And though he was in a city where the economy is powered by oil and natural gas, Turner pulled no punches.

"The days of fossil fuels as a fuel are over," he told a packed ballroom over lunch at the Hotel Intercontinental. "It's just a matter of how soon everybody recognizes it." ......

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/biz/4535625.html
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

.... Meanwhile, back at the ranch (so to speak):

Emergency relief for Sweden's starving reindeer
    STOCKHOLM, Feb 7 (AFP) Feb 07, 2007
    Sweden said Wednesday it would give its reindeer herders millions of euros (dollars) in emergency aid to help them feed their animals, which are starving ***because of THICK ICE*** that is preventing them from reaching the lichen they eat.

"You can't just stand by and watch animals starve," Agriculture Minister Eskil Erlandsson said in a statement as his ministry earmarked 37 million kronor (4.06 million euros, 5.3 million dollars) in aid.

Sweden has some 230,000 reindeer, raised by Sami, the indigenous people of the Arctic region. The reindeer are used primarily for meat production, a delicacy consumed mostly in the Nordic countries, while the skins and horns are used for clothing and handicrafts. ........

http://www.terradaily.com/2006/070207171633.474eyhua.html

:wha:

So, if Sweden is having a "thick ice" problem, how warm can we be gettin'??
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  2. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You're a bright guy who apparantly doesn't know the difference between climate and weather. Just like global warming's not responsible for the warm streak we had in December in the US, it's not responsible for a single season of cold weather. But in the meantime (the last 30 years), 99% of Canada's ice shelves have vanished. Canada's reindeer (I believe they call them Caribou up there) are thrilled, but even they know global warming's real.
  3. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Surprise! He's a fundamentalist. They don't believe the earth is 4.5 billion years old either.
  4. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Ahh yeah, and I was hoping for a rational argument from Fogbuster. Thanks for the heads up, I'd be waiting a long time. No need to dig for dinosaur bones - the bible doesn't say anything about dinosaurs or global warming!
  5. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Then go tell your buds in China, Einstein, while you're whacking on the U.S.. They're the ones pumping out trillions of tons of coal smoke every year. Or is that too daunting a task for you?? Sure America makes too much CO2, but when you have new House Speaker who demands a 50-seat jet to go home on the weekends, while she rails about "global warming, global warming, ack, ack, heartless Republicans", it gets little sympathy.

In case you hadn't noticed in your petulant youth.

:D

//
  6. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Actually, according to these types, the bible does refer to dragons (dinos) and they lived together with Adam and Eve, in harmony, just like the song Puff The Magic Dragon says.

In fact, according to the fundies, there is plenty of proof that dinosaurs lived with man. They just can't cite any proof other than what it says in the bible about some serpent or something.
  7. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Now you're contradicting yourself. Why should I tell anything to my buds in China (I have buds in China?) about global warming, when the Great Fogbuster, self-proclaimed messenger of God, just implied that global warming's fake, and he has the Swedish ice to prove it!

Which is it, is global warming real, but you don't like the liberals' solutions to it, or is it outright fake? Can't have it both ways!
  8. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I missed it. Whats the difference in per capita CO2 output??
  9. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Your avatar says it all, AllBrown.

:woohoo:

And it's more like 13 BILLION years, at last estimate. But don't let the facts get in the way of .... whatever it is you said.

:D

//
  10. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You're such a dumb jackass! Scientists estimate the age of EARTH to be 4.5 billion years old. The UNIVERSE is believed to be about 13.7 BILLION years old.
  11. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Like it makes a difference. A trillion tons is a trillion tons!! Hello! And there's only one air for everyone.

//
  12. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You don't know the difference it makes? Wow, they don't teach you much math in church either I guess.
  13. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Wow, you seemed pretty smart but misguided in the past, but you're starting to sound like a yokel now.

Per capita... doesn't... matter? It just doesn't compute, I don't even know where to start.

So in your bizzaro world, a small country with a million people should output the same amount of pollution as a country with a billion people, even though the people in the smaller country would be using 1,000 times more resources PER PERSON? You do know what "per capita" means, right?
  14. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

here here...

But he's a newbie and he's funny as all hell...so lets cut him some slack or he may go the way of about 50 other one trick ponies over the past 3 months and slink away with his ball and wont play anymore.
  15. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I find it hypocritical that all these people who own/drive/ SUVs by the fleet, and who want to commandeer 50-seat planes to fly home for the weekend are the same folks who want everyone ELSE to give up their cars.

You come from a communist state -- though you really know nothing about it since you were too young when you lived there -- but that's called the double-speak of the apparachik, the ruling class of self-righteous know-it-alls, who go around saying how "compassionate" they are, but who haven't brought a person of a different race into their homes yet.

Read some Orwell. It'll get up to speed.
  16. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm seriously speechless. The age of the earth versus the age of the universe, I could see how someone could screw that up (though when you so arrogantly correct someone, you better be sure you're right), but not understanding the relevance of per-capita?
  17. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 7 / -13

Where did you get the info that 99% of Canada's "ice shelf" is gone that seems improbable. Do you have a link?
  18. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I've read Animal Farm and 1984 - great books, but I'm not talking about politics. I'm just talking about global warming in terms of earth science. You've both implied that it's not real, and that it is, and I'm confused by what you actually believe. Do you have an opinion on whether the problem exists - I'm not concerned with the solution at the moment.
  19. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 7 / -13

By per capita do you mean per person of per $ of GDP?

I believe that the US would produce more CO2 per person but less CO2 per $ of GDP.
  20. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

dumb jackass -- wow!

//