Unofficial Order of Picks, AFC East Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatSunday

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Unofficial Order of Picks, AFC East:

11 - Buffalo
17 - Jets (would have been 8-8 with Bills had they lost to them)
25- Miami
26 - New England

I got this from a Jets forum, who seem to be so very excited about spending every year thinking about NEXT YEAR's draft, instead of trying to win out in their current season.

Last edited:
Wait...how do we have that pick? Don't we have the 19th pick?

According to that list, half of the playoff teams pick before us:

15 - San Diego
20 - Arizona
22 - Eagles
23 - Minnesota
24 - Atlanta
25 - Miami

The remaining 6 teams after us are of course playoff teams.

EDIT: Besides a poster linking to another draft order, here's yet ANOTHER web site that has it differently: http://news.lalate.com/2008/12/28/2009-nfl-draft-order/ In this one, Miami, Baltimore, and Atlanta pick before the Patriots... Is it that hard for somebody to program a valid order based on NFL rules?

Last edited:
Now, I'm super pissed:mad:
The draft formula is to try to even out the teams which is why for ties the tougher SoS picks later. The playoff formula isn't to try to pick the best teams, it's to reward teams for winning a division.

Unofficial Order of Picks, AFC East:

11 - Buffalo
17 - Jets (would have been 8-8 with Bills had they lost to them)
25- Miami
26 - New England

I got this from a Jets forum, who seem to be so very excited about spending every year thinking about NEXT YEAR's draft, instead of trying to win out in their current season.
I can't see anyway Miami picks in front of us. They had the better record

Im going to predict that by the end of the week, we will have 50 threads talking about the draft order. We're half way there :rofl:

'dabruinz' will have a fit when he sees this thread in the morning :D

EDIT: Besides a poster linking to another draft order, here's yet ANOTHER web site that has it differently: 2009 NFL Draft Order! In this one, Miami, Baltimore, and Atlanta pick before the Patriots... Is it that hard for somebody to program a valid order based on NFL rules?
That one is wrong. Non playoff teams pick ahead of playoff teams in their tied group so although our SoS would move us below M, B, A had we made the playoffs, we're ahead of them in the 11-5 group as we didn't make the playoffs. However not making the playoffs does NOT move us into higher picking record groups.

Technically I suppose it is possible for a division winner to have a better draft pick than another team in the division that did not make the playoffs. For draft picks, SoS is used as a tiebreaker for teams with the same records, but that's just about the last tiebreaker for determining who makes the playoffs. For example, a team winning head-to-head, having a better record against common opponents, or a better conference record could win a playoff spot and eliminate another team from the playoffs - one that has a better SoS.

Edit: here's the ranking from nfl.com, I'll go out on a limb and guess this list is correct.

Last edited:
Technically I suppose it is possible for a division winner to have a better draft pick than another team in the division that did not make the playoffs.

No, it is impossible. In the first round non-playoff teams always pick before playoff teams with the same record.

Is it that hard for somebody to program a valid order based on NFL rules?

Judging the posts I've seen on every message board I've looked at recently, not just here, almost noone bothers to figure out the actual rules, they proclaim the order based on what they think the rules must be. There is more incorrect chatter on this topic than any since, say, franchising Matt Cassel ;)

No, it is impossible. In the first round non-playoff teams always pick before playoff teams with the same record.

Judging the posts I've seen on every message board I've looked at recently, not just here, almost noone bothers to figure out the actual rules, they proclaim the order based on what they think the rules must be. There is more incorrect chatter on this topic than any since, say, franchising Matt Cassel ;)
Most likly no one hear knows the nfl rule book. But it appars illogocal that a team (Miami) that has a better record,and won the division would be able to pick before a team with a lesser winning record tie breakers included.

Edit: here's the ranking from nfl.com, I'll go out on a limb and guess this list is correct.

Just looked at it.. it actually isn't completely correct! They have "* Could change based on playoffs" next to all playoff teams, but not on us... we move up if anyone in front of us move down.

There is more incorrect chatter on this topic than any since, say, franchising Matt Cassel ;)

well, we strive for consistancy (whether bad or good) :D

I'll just go ahead and admit that I don't understand, and the constant threads full of inaccuracies arent helping. I think i'll wait till april to decide what our draft pick is :D

I'm just happy Goodell didn't steal our pick this year.

That list is correct, except that they have the meaning of the asterisk wrong; they're using it to indicate the playoff teams; the position of every team after the earliest-drafting team still in the playoffs is subject to change.

That one is wrong. Non playoff teams pick ahead of playoff teams in their tied group so although our SoS would move us below M, B, A had we made the playoffs, we're ahead of them in the 11-5 group as we didn't make the playoffs. However not making the playoffs does NOT move us into higher picking record groups.

So the Pats pick #24 unless one of these teams

15 - San Diego
20 - Arizona
22 - Eagles
23 - Minnesota

makes it to the super Bowl which would move the Pats up a slot......

one thing i don't want is any more smurf cornerbacks.

According to that list, half of the playoff teams pick before us:

15 - San Diego
20 - Arizona
22 - Eagles
23 - Minnesota
24 - Atlanta
25 - Miami

The remaining 6 teams after us are of course playoff teams.

EDIT: Besides a poster linking to another draft order, here's yet ANOTHER web site that has it differently: 2009 NFL Draft Order! In this one, Miami, Baltimore, and Atlanta pick before the Patriots... Is it that hard for somebody to program a valid order based on NFL rules?

So, I guess that's reason to hope one each of these teams (AFC and NFC) meet in the Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes