Not open for further replies.

borg

Pro Bowl Player
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
On O:
Last January, Rex flooded the secondary with DBs playing a tight zone forcing Brady to squeeze balls in. In the 4th quarter, Brady opted to take what the D was giving....and that infuriating 8 minute drive with Brady handing off to Woodhead over and over...game over.
Today, we counter with Ridley from the get go. I'm going 3 WR, Gronk, Ridley from the start. Let Rex go small, we got our speed back with power. I'm even lining up my 3 WRs on the short side of the field with Gronk manning the line on the short side as well. Then I'm letting Ridley turn the corner on the opposite side of the field. When Rex counters with increased LB presence, in comes Hernandez ....begging for some LB coverage. BB must dictate today, not react....and the Pats have the personel to constantly reconfigure. I also want to see deep sideline patterns to spread the secondary out. Rex flooded the middle of the field last year. BB must work the sidelines and deep routes. We must open the field horizontally as well as vertically.

On D:
I don't see a big sack day. BB has to worry about Sanchez rolling out which limits the DEs aggression. Pressure will have to come up the middle. If Haynesworth proves to be a problem for his O lineman, then BB can work some blitzes around the big guy. One thing I want to see is DL hands in the air. Take advantage of Sanchez's low release point. As far as the Jets running game, I worry about LT turning the corner or releasing from the backfield. Without Mayo, I see Rex trying to go to LT. He'll go to the vet in a big game.
Rex will also try to use Plaxico to abuse our DBs. Plaxico was salivating watching the preseason Lions' giant WRs abuse our smurfs.

Turning point- O and D:
Brady needs to identify a mismatched D and go no huddle immediately. I think Ridley will poise a problem as well as Hernandez.
BB needs to get Sanchez uncomfortable early. The kid has confidence issues. BB needs to slam that O line early and hard.
BB has had 8 months to get ready for this game......

Last edited:
Great thread man.

I've just been reading/watching some stuff and here's what I found interesting:

On the NFL matchup show, JAWS says he thinks the Pats will play a man to man under two deep coverage and force Sanchez to make stick throws into tight coverage. He says the reason you can play that coverage VS him is because Sanchez isn't mobile and quarterbacks who have success against man under two deep are those who can get outside the pocket.

The other NFL analyst I like is Dilfer who tweeted about his film study of this game, here are some of those:

Twitter

#filmstudy Jets/Pats when Jets have NOT matched up Revis on Welker they have played MULTIPLE defenses and totally confused Brady!

#filmstudy Jets/Pats playoff match-up/Pats 3rd down offense Brady got confused and off rhythm with Jets coverages and reroutes of rec.

#filmstudy I would be SHOCKED if Brady ever gets tricked as bad or plays as poorly as he did in playoff game. Dude is a surgeon, will fix it

win or lose, this team will be determined what the pats do in the playoffs.. after that 45-3 domination last year we thought we were the cats meow... we know how that ended up... the signs are pointing to a jets win... but a win here we still have to face the jets again and have not won in the medowlands in 3 years

In the words of Stevan Ridley:

Stevan Ridley
Just got in bed.. Time to power power Up! Talk to yall bright and early Tom before the JETS vs PATS does it get any bigger????? Leggo!!!

Yea... it is Sunday.. First, Thank the LORD for waking me up... Second, Thank the LORD for football.. Lets get it on.

Brady will have a monster game if Pats get their running game working....

Gonna be a war !

I don't think I've felt this excited for a game in a long time. A win will help erase the bad taste of that playoff game.

Last edited:
Throwbacks today, too. I'm hoping my blood pressure can last until 4:00pm today. :cool:

There is no place for civility now. **** the Jets, go Pats.

win or lose, this team will be determined what the pats do in the playoffs.. after that 45-3 domination last year we thought we were the cats meow... we know how that ended up... the signs are pointing to a jets win... but a win here we still have to face the jets again and have not won in the medowlands in 3 years

What signs would those be?? You are such a whining chicken little fan Sean...

And between the perenial chicken littles and the frontrunning fantasy football geeks and the chronic malcontents you've managed to suck all the joy out of following this team on a message board on the internet...for genuine fans.

What signs would those be?? You are such a whining chicken little fan Sean...

And between the perenial chicken littles and the frontrunning fantasy football geeks and the chronic malcontents you've managed to suck all the joy out of following this team on a message board on the internet...for genuine fans.

please, the jets are a bad match up for this team, the jets are good of a team to lose 3 in a row... you cant have a opinion on here ??? i want a pats win, but until this d steps up and brady finds another wr other then welker or gronk, its going to be a battle... hernandez will help but how healthy is he.... dont question my fandom mo, just because i feel the jets are a bad match up for this team...

Mo, you're a smart vet here on this baord and I'm surprised that you let dude get under your skin this morning. You know the game here!
Enjoy the day leading up to kickoff. And throwbacks to boot! Life is good my friend!

i will say if o brien decides to run the ball and give some balance we should be able to control the game, but that is a big if....

please, the jets are a bad match up for this team, the jets are good of a team to lose 3 in a row... you cant have a opinion on here ??? i want a pats win, but until this d steps up and brady finds another wr other then welker or gronk, its going to be a battle... hernandez will help but how healthy is he.... dont question my fandom mo, just because i feel the jets are a bad match up for this team...

The JETS are lucky of a team they haven't already lost 3 in a row... Do you actually watch any other games or just obcess all day Sunday's about who's gonna beat us next... You do this constantly as some sort of self defense mechanism against disappointment. It has nothing to do with bad matchups, other than you convincing yourself they all are.

Football is always a battle. You should go root for the JETS, whose own WR's are bellyaching to their HC that their OC is somehow making it too much of a grind for them and nothing is coming easy...because their QB can't read defenses or capitalize on turnovers their own defenses generates because he's turning the ball over incessantly on an offense that can't run the ball to save their souls...

Your "fandom" is questioned because you regularly post the most negative comments about this team. You don't bother to actually provide facts to back up your statements (no real facts in your post other than not having won in the Meadowland in 3 years).

If you are going to claim the Pats match-up against the Jets poorly, how about you actually provide where the "poor match-ups" are. OH, as for you having an opinion. The 1st Amendment says "HI" and that because you make the choice to share that opinion, you are entitled to any and ALL repercussions that result from you having made that choice. That is the double edged sword of the 1st Amendment. I always love it when people like yourself try and use it as protection as if it some how justifies you running your mouth..

Last edited:
I'll be honest, I think that the Jets are trying to psych themselves up with all the yammering they've been doing.. Losing Bryan Thomas is a big blow for their defense. Nick Mangold isn't 100% healthy with the high ankle sprain (a 6-8 week recovery normally).

The Jets defense is horrible against the run, allowing 130 YPG. Prior to last weeks game, the Raiders were actually a better team against the run than the Jets.. And the Pats ran roughshod over them.

Also, the Jets defense hasn't faced a dynamic an offense as the Pats have. Particularly with Hernandez and Gronk on the field at the same time. And I don't believe that Leonhard, Smith, Pool, Stickland, or Wilson can match-up with either Gronk or Hernandez. Nor do I believe that the Jets LBs match up well either.

The Pats should have Hernandez, Haynesworth, Wright and Price back. Add to that how well Ridley, Welker, Gronk, BJGE, and Brady have been playing and the Pats should be lights out offensively.

Defensively, they should be better with Haynesworth and Wright back. The problem will be Guyton on Defense. He's gone from being mediocre to flat out being bad.. I'd rather see Fletcher and Spikes out there than Guyton.

The Pats need to shut down Keller the way they shut down Gates. They do that and Sanchez can't beat the Pats. Also, since certain people have failed to acknowledge it, the Jets running game is horrible. Their top 2 RBs are averaging only 3 YPC.

If Bodden and Dowling are back, then I think that the Pats zone defense will be very good. To the point where they may help the D-line put up some sacks on Sanchez by keeping the receivers covered.

Last edited:
We have discussed O and D a lot but I think a real area of concern is ST. The jets have very good ST play (arguably the best in the league: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst) and this may be one reason we often think of them as "lucky". A tight game can take a quick turn from W to L with ST playmaking.

Last edited:
In the words of Stevan Ridley:

Stevan Ridley
Just got in bed.. Time to power power Up! Talk to yall bright and early Tom before the JETS vs PATS does it get any bigger????? Leggo!!!

Yea... it is Sunday.. First, Thank the LORD for waking me up... Second, Thank the LORD for football.. Lets get it on.

I like that kid.

The thing I'm most interested in for this game is the offensive line. So far I've loved the way the pieces are coming together. I can't say enough about the Waters addition as he has been huge and a little unheralded. Connolly has done very well at center so far, it's been a resurgence for his short career and he seem's to be playing at a much higher level than last year as compared to guard. Considering it being Solders first year I'm very impressed at the rate he's learning. He's been spot on starter material with all the filling in he's been doing.

If this team continues to be ineffective rushing the passer and can't resolve some of the defensive issues it's been having then I think the oline will have to be perfect almost every game, especially against teams like Baltimore and Detroit that can create breakdowns.

This oline when it's said and done may be the best one they've fielded maybe ever imo.
Not yet, but they are getting better every week. Hopefully by season's end this unit will be healthy and as close to seasoned as it can be.

I think DaBruinz nailed it re shutting down Keller. If Chung can shaddow Keller the way he did Gates, it eliminates Can'tez's most frequent check down target.
NY will likely resort to playing small ball to try to beat us (LT out of the backfield and Keller) because,
A) their QB struggles to read defenses and is prone to panic when his first read is not there
B) we've had a weakness in the middle of the field with our D (LB and Safety play)

Shutting down Keller will go a long way to beating the Rats today.

I'll be honest, I think that the Jets are trying to psych themselves up with all the yammering they've been doing.. Losing Bryan Thomas is a big blow for their defense. Nick Mangold isn't 100% healthy with the high ankle sprain (a 6-8 week recovery normally).

The Jets defense is horrible against the run, allowing 130 YPG. Prior to last weeks game, the Raiders were actually a better team against the run than the Jets.. And the Pats ran roughshod over them.

Also, the Jets defense hasn't faced a dynamic an offense as the Pats have. Particularly with Hernandez and Gronk on the field at the same time. And I don't believe that Leonhard, Smith, Pool, Stickland, or Wilson can match-up with either Gronk or Hernandez. Nor do I believe that the Jets LBs match up well either.

The Pats should have Hernandez, Haynesworth, Wright and Price back. Add to that how well Ridley, Welker, Gronk, BJGE, and Brady have been playing and the Pats should be lights out offensively.

Defensively, they should be better with Haynesworth and Wright back. The problem will be Guyton on Defense. He's gone from being mediocre to flat out being bad.. I'd rather see Fletcher and Spikes out there than Guyton.

The Pats need to shut down Keller the way they shut down Gates. They do that and Sanchez can't beat the Pats. Also, since certain people have failed to acknowledge it, the Jets running game is horrible. Their top 2 RBs are averaging only 3 YPC.

If Bodden and Dowling are back, then I think that the Pats zone defense will be very good. To the point where they may help the D-line put up some sacks on Sanchez by keeping the receivers covered.

Good write up. I think Bodden and Dowling are playing, otherwise they wouldn't have cut Adams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes