PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Unnamed team (Pats?) looking to trade for the Raiders #8 overall pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Unnamed Team (Pats?) looking to trade for the Raiders #8 overall pick.

Let's see...Ah, trading a 7th for TE/H back Dave Thomas?

You know you have to wonder why Dave Thomas never worked out here it just didn't make any sense. Solid player from Texas, captain of the team in his senior year. I'm sorry there is something very wrong about our offense when we use a 5' 8" reciever like a TE. Brady always threw to the open reciever something changed.

The Patriots are certainly on the short list of possible teams and not just because of the draft picks we have. BB is one of the very few in the National Football League who is willing to trade high picks before the draft. GM's and head coaches are not especially wild about trading high picks before the draft. I remember PFW in-progress discussing this topic last year at some point (a vague memory). BB or someone was quoted saying that BB and Jimmy Johnson were two of the few people out there willing to conduct those types of trades.

But if you slide back 4, 5, or 6 spots you should be able to grab any linebacker you want and pick up some additional picks.

This is true, especially if Clausen is still on the board... Good point.

I dont know if i agree with this at all, everyone keeps throwing out there that the pats will go after a RB with one of their early picks, but why? We all know they need to get younger on defense and faster, so the names that have been associated with NE like Hughes, Odrick, Kindle, Sapp, Graham are the ones we need to concentrate on.

Next years Raiders first round pick would be a perfect pick if we were able to find Maroney's replacement since i can assume that this is his last year in NE. Mark Ingram would be the perfect pick up for NE next year, so i say we need to keep both 1st round picks next year and get younger

What's the Patriots greatest perceived need and which player is perceived to be worth trading a few picks to get into the top 10?

What's the Patriots greatest perceived need and which player is perceived to be worth trading a few picks to get into the top 10?

Pass rush=noone. Pierre-Paul being ranked that high is a joke. I wouldn't trade up for Kindle.

Wide Receiver=I'd trade up for Dez Bryant if he was at #15, not #8 though.

3-4 DE= Noone. Morgan's not a 3-4 DE, Suh/Mccoy won't be at #8, and Odrick will be at #22.

Yeah, I don't think we're the team.

Sorry, but I don't think retaining guys that you SHOULD have retained is a "BIG" move.
But it is. Just because you "should' have kept him doesn't make it not big. If letting a good FA walk is a big deal, it is just as big a deal to not let them walk. To say otherwise is hypocritical. Not that that would stop anyone, but there it is.

Think about it. If every team retained every good FA there would be no good FAs to sign. The fact that there are tells you that not all teams retain good players. It is a very big deal if you can retain your best players. it just isn't always possible and sometimes not wise (they are nearing the end, they have gone AD on you, or they just want too much money)

But by signing Bodden, Neal and Wilfork, it gives tremendous flexibility in the draft.

It's huge.

In all honesty. I like the thought of this trade but i think some people are wrong thinking we would be targeting spiller. I think it would be more Suh if he dropped... maybe mclain i don't like the thought of pierre-paul just because he looks very raw on tape. But if we traded a 2 and a our 1 next year for Suh i think that would be a great deal and we would have our starting end plugged in

If they are trading up, which is pure speculation at this point, then I hope its for a cant miss pass rusher, like Kindle or Graham... I dont know about anybody else

But it is. Just because you "should' have kept him doesn't make it not big. If letting a good FA walk is a big deal, it is just as big a deal to not let them walk. To say otherwise is hypocritical. Not that that would stop anyone, but there it is.

Think about it. If every team retained every good FA there would be no good FAs to sign. The fact that there are tells you that not all teams retain good players. It is a very big deal if you can retain your best players. it just isn't always possible and sometimes not wise (they are nearing the end, they have gone AD on you, or they just want too much money)

But by signing Bodden, Neal and Wilfork, it gives tremendous flexibility in the draft.

It's huge.

No, it's not. You still need to find a RG, because Neal is an NFL senior citizen and he's oft injured. You also already had Vince on the hook because of the franchise tag.

The signing that can arguably be called 'big' is the Bodden signing. Given that the team thought the position so fungible that it let Samuel and Hobbs go in back-to-back seasons, and has cut itself loose of Ty Law in the past, either the Patriots don't view the position as 'big', or Belichick learned from 2008 and 2009 that you don't let starters go without already having definite replacements in the stable.

Last edited:

scratch that i just watched some more tape on pierre paul. don't people think this guys is a bit over hyped? i mean when you watch the game tape he misses the QB almost every time in the open field.

They want a 2nd round pick higher than #42 ... we have #44

... not good enough without sacrificing more.

I could definitely see Bill wanting Berry though.

Patriot Nation gets shocked as Bill pulls the move to get Sam Bradford ... :rofl:

Last edited:

CB is the biggest need.

Bodden and a stud CB with the NE Safties is a hell of a backfield.

In all honesty. I like the thought of this trade but i think some people are wrong thinking we would be targeting spiller. I think it would be more Suh if he dropped... maybe mclain i don't like the thought of pierre-paul just because he looks very raw on tape. But if we traded a 2 and a our 1 next year for Suh i think that would be a great deal and we would have our starting end plugged in

Suh is the only player I'd trade up for & only if he dropped to 8 ( less than 1% chance of that happening )

Any of the LB's, DE's ( not named Suh ) & WR's would be a huge reach at 8.

The Colts are the team to beat in the AFC and they have been torching NEs defense ever since Law left. Look at all the recieving weapons Manning has and they are getting Anthony Gonzalez back.

The Pats secondary has been weaker than cat sheet going on 5 years now.

Its a passing league. NE needs a CB better than Bodden and Bulter, Wheatley, Wilhite havent shown jack sheet.

Last edited:

CB is the biggest need.

Bodden and a stud CB with the NE Safties is a hell of a backfield.
I disagree. In my opinion the key to a good defense, and specifically a good pass defense in the current NFL is an effective pass rush. Pressure on the QB, forcing him to throw off balance or while being hit, or before a route is completed is going to yield better results than upgrades to Bodden, Butler and the other corners.

There's about a half dozen positions other than CB that are a bigger need.

The Colts are the team to beat in the AFC and they have been torching NEs defense ever since Law left. Look at all the recieving weapons Manning has and they are getting Anthony Gonzalez back.

The Pats secondary has been weaker than cat sheet going on 5 years now.

Its a passing league. NE needs a CB better than Bodden and Bulter, Wheatley, Wilhite havent shown jack sheet.

we haven't had much of a pass rush to take pressure off the secondary. the problem is that BB hasn't been able to hit on a lot of picks over the past 5 years, especially in the secondary. pats could have had louis delmas last year (but traded down too much) or Jairus Byrd (picked at #42). both of them are better than Chung.

This sure sounds like the Pats......

SFGate: Raiders Silver and Black Blog : Raiders' first pick in demand

The Patriots have 3 second round picks in 2010 & 2 first round picks in 2011.

The Patriots are in a better position than any other team to offer this
trade. We also have a history of dealing with the Raiders.

One of our second round picks in 2010 & The Patriots (Not Raiders) 1st round pick in 2011 for the #8 overall pick in 2010?

We would then have 2 first round picks (#8 & #22) and 2 second round
picks (not sure which one we would give the Raiders).

From the Silver and Black blog none the less... This sounds like anyone but the Patriots. Actually, it sounds like some black hole scribe who wants to believe among other things that Al isn't really senile and and he still always has a plan (Raider fans are chronic believers) who likely talked to someone inside the "hotel" who is desperately trying to drum up interest in that #8 pick because Al sucks in the first and he hasn't got enough cash on hand to satisfy all the players he covets... Does he pay Seymour...does he pay Asamougha, does he trade for and pay McNabb, does he walk away from Russell still owing him guaranteed money and admit he's a failure...

The Patriots aren't going to lock themselves into a top ten pick the year before a rookie contract cap goes into effect, let alone in a deep draft where they have 4 picks between 22-53 already. If anything they will trade down if not out of the first and grab additional picks in the 2nd, 3rd and/or 4th. Remember, they still have Brady and Mankins to deal with. Between them they will command over $20M per and probably considerably more than $50M in guaranteed money. They've already committed a serious chunk of change to Wilfork ($25M guaranteed) and more than chump change to Bodden ($10M guaranteed). No way they take on the contract for a #8 pick... You're talking about $20M guaranteed (vs. $9M at 22).

Every year we go through this trade up hysteria. That's why so many of you are chronically disappointed as Bill's drafts unfold...

The time he will be inclined to trade up in the first if he ever is is in 2011...

Last edited:

The Jets still got torched by the colts and they have the #1 CB in the league. It's the pass rush.

So that would essentially mean we traded Seymour and a 2nd round pick for the #8 pick this year.. hrrrrmmmmm :confused:

McClain.. I think BB wants this guy.. he needs a smart instinctive coach type player out there and McClain fits the bill perfectly..

Also that would leave us w/ our #22 .. we could still take Odrick there or trade back.. but one has to think if BB taking the raines of the Defense this year he is going to load up on studs.. that can contribute..

I could totally see a scenario if this trade took place that we go after
8 McClain
22 Odrick
47 trade up for Hughes w/ KC at #36 - We give them AD as well
53. Mardy Gilyard or other WR..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes