PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Unnamed team (Pats?) looking to trade for the Raiders #8 overall pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Unnamed Team (Pats?) looking to trade for the Raiders #8 overall pick.

If true, it must be to get Jason Pierre Paul or CJ Spiller.

Other possibilities:

Joe Haden
Taylor Mays
Mike Iupati
Rolando McClain
Carlos Dunlap

but in all honesty, the pats could have had the raiders 1st rounder this year for seymour. we could have gotten the raiders pick this year AND kept all 3 second rounders. I think the pats are now afraid the raiders are going to get McNabb and actually be good or at least better than 4-12.
If we trade up to 8 and take any of them other than Haden and Pierre-Paul, i'm going to shoot myself. :bricks:

Maybe if the Pats brought in someone to help the team I'd consider it a big move. Wilfork and Bodden returning only keeps the team intact. It doesn't improve

So no, they have done nothing big. Unless you want to count signing a 50 year old, 600 lb TE

Sorry, I don't get the logic. Say the Pats let Bodden leave and then signed Duante Robinson. Now based on his last few years of play, I don't know if Robinson would improve the team from last year over Bodden. But it would be considered a big move even if it really didn't improve the team and might have even weakened it.

Fact of the matter is a big move is a move made to improve the team at the time that the move is made, at least in my mind. Once free agency started and neither Wilfork nor Bodden were under contract (Bodden was not part of the team in any way shape or form) and then the Pats locked them up, they improved the team from where it was at the start of free agency. Again, it isn't a sexy big move, but it is a big move.

Sorry, I don't get the logic. Say the Pats let Bodden leave and then signed Duante Robinson. Now based on his last few years of play, I don't know if Robinson would improve the team from last year over Bodden. But it would be considered a big move even if it really didn't improve the team and might have even weakened it.

Fact of the matter is a big move is a move made to improve the team at the time that the move is made, at least in my mind. Once free agency started and neither Wilfork nor Bodden were under contract (Bodden was not part of the team in any way shape or form) and then the Pats locked them up, they improved the team from where it was at the start of free agency. Again, it isn't a sexy big move, but it is a big move.

it's a good move, not a big one

getting a Brandon Marshall or Vincent Jackson is a big move

Just a totally random thought...

If the Patriots offered the Raiders one of their 2 first rounders next year, and the Patriots said "You can either have our pick (meaning the one we would get anyway) or your pick back - your choice!"

I would love to see the Raiders given that choice and decide they wanted their own pick back, essentially admitting they expect to do worse this season than New England :D

Trade up for JPP @ #8?? Are you people insane? This guy was talked about as a good developmental 2nd or 3rd rounder like 2 months ago. I will be pissed if he slides to #22 & we take him there, this guy is a huge bust waiting to happen.

The only players worth picking at 8 are Berry or Suh if they slide. I highly doubt its the Pats that are looking to move up all the way to 8. ( I can see them moving up to 15 or so if someone they have targeted slides )

If it is the Pats I would assume Morris or Taylor would be canned and Spiller the new guy...I don't see BB looking at defense up that high...why?,I don't know-gut feeling he goes all or mostly defense in round 2

Last edited:

Maybe if the Pats brought in someone to help the team I'd consider it a big move. Wilfork and Bodden returning only keeps the team intact. It doesn't improve

So no, they have done nothing big. Unless you want to count signing a 50 year old, 600 lb TE

Please tell me the Big move that Saints made last offseason to put them over the top following an 8-8 season?

Building a team is more than just signing FAs and one could argue that retaining ones own talent is actually a bigger piece of the puzzle as they already have proven their success in your system. So I say our retaining Wilfork is a bigger move than last offseasons biggest move Haynseworth as we know we exactly what we are getting and how he will contribute to our team.

Check your math because this rumor includes a 2nd rd pick. So BB could have had all the foresight he wanted he still couldn't have just switched the '11 one for a '10 1.

I heard a rumor that BB was given his choice between the Raiders 2 this year or their 1 in 11 when the trade went down BB chose the 1.

I thought it was the 2010 1st round pick that was offered.
Not the first time I've been wrong.:bricks:

Trade up for JPP @ #8?? Are you people insane? This guy was talked about as a good developmental 2nd or 3rd rounder like 2 months ago. I will be pissed if he slides to #22 & we take him there, this guy is a huge bust waiting to happen.

The only players worth picking at 8 are Berry or Suh if they slide. I highly doubt its the Pats that are looking to move up all the way to 8. ( I can see them moving up to 15 or so if someone they have targeted slides )

I see what you are saying and he certainly has huge bust potential but I also think it is the small amount of experience he has that makes people think he is really raw and could have huge upside because he produced albeit for a very limited amount of time on very little coaching.

Combine that with the fact that his body seems to be the exact measurements that have been spewed at us for what we need in an OLB for our system and there is why PatsFans (me) want him.

Now you might be right that 8 is high for a project like that but Pass Rush is our biggest need, he seems to measurement wise fit perfectly, and by all accounts wont be there at 22. Ideally I would like to trade less and get him around 15 or have him fall into our laps but if BB were to move and get him at 8 that would give me chills because BB is the best coach in the league and this kid needs coaching but by all accounts has the tools.

I thought it was the 2010 1st round pick that was offered.
Not the first time I've been wrong.:bricks:

I am not sure you got what I was saying.

The Seymour trade was big sey for a '11 first round pick.

The proposed trade is a 2010 2nd and 2011 first for a 2010 first (8 overall).

And then you said it didn't make sense for the Pats to part of the rumor because they could have made this so last year. But the truth (or at least so I have heard) is we were never really offered a 2010 first but a choice between a 2010 2nd or 2011 first.

Reading through this thread, trading up for C.J Spiler is a fail among epic porportions. I would not take him at #22.

2008: Knowshon Moreno- Meh, bad YPC.
2007: Darren McFadden- Meh at best, not worth the $$$.
2006: Reggie Bush. (this will be spiller IMO, not worth a top 10 pick when Mccluster will do the same job).
2005: Ronnie Brown- worth it.
2004- Steven Jackson-worth it.

I think BB is targeting a premier OT there.

It's probably the Cowboys looking to trade up for Dez Bryant.

Please tell me the Big move that Saints made last offseason to put them over the top following an 8-8 season?

because the saints had all the pieces in place. they added a few vets and hired gregg williams who did a masterful job coaching the defense.

the pats on the other hand do not have all the players necessary to win a championship (as of today). they are sorely lacking WR depth, a pass rush, a consistent running game and a solid tight end.

i do agree that we should not have signed any of the big ticket free agents. there are a lot of players out there who get their guaranteed money and then sit.

If true, it must be to get Jason Pierre Paul or CJ Spiller.

Other possibilities:

Joe Haden
Taylor Mays
Mike Iupati
Rolando McClain
Carlos Dunlap

but in all honesty, the pats could have had the raiders 1st rounder this year for seymour. we could have gotten the raiders pick this year AND kept all 3 second rounders. I think the pats are now afraid the raiders are going to get McNabb and actually be good or at least better than 4-12.

Man I hope it's Spiller we have never had a stud RB that could take some of the pressure off the offense if not him than Haden for sure and I like Odrick at#22 if he is there that would be good start for us

As with anyone, we would have be targeting more than one player to make the trade before the draft. My guesses would be that we want Hayden or McClain. Spiller and
Morgan are certainly possibilities. I don't think that our first this year and next will be enough, but it could be.

I can promise you that the *****ing and moaning on this board would have been the biggest thing since sliced bread had we let Big Vince Walk so I would call that a big move....not as big but ditto on Bodden.

As BB said some of the best FA on the market were Patriots and we came away with a couple of them.

Ummmm.... Resiging Wilfork and Bodden weren't big moves? I know it was keeping players, but they were pretty substantial moves none-the-less.

Sorry, but I don't think retaining guys that you SHOULD have retained is a "BIG" move. A big move would have been bringing in guys like Antonio Bryant or Anquan Boldin. Please don't think I'm slamming the Pats here, because I'm not. It's just simply that, while they've spent large sums of money to keep some of our own, they haven't made what I or anybody else should call "big" moves. If this rumor turns out to be about the Pats, however, they will. :cool:

I see what you are saying and he certainly has huge bust potential but I also think it is the small amount of experience he has that makes people think he is really raw and could have huge upside because he produced albeit for a very limited amount of time on very little coaching.

Combine that with the fact that his body seems to be the exact measurements that have been spewed at us for what we need in an OLB for our system and there is why PatsFans (me) want him.

Now you might be right that 8 is high for a project like that but Pass Rush is our biggest need, he seems to measurement wise fit perfectly, and by all accounts wont be there at 22. Ideally I would like to trade less and get him around 15 or have him fall into our laps but if BB were to move and get him at 8 that would give me chills because BB is the best coach in the league and this kid needs coaching but by all accounts has the tools.

This guy had SIX sacks last year playing weak side rush backer while Selvie drew all the double teams. Yes pass rush is our biggest need so why draft a huge project who couldn't even get after the QB in college?? Whoever drafts this kid is gonna be sorry.

Let's see...Ah, trading a 7th for TE/H back Dave Thomas?

#8 tackle territory, not a linebacker..... or maybe a D-lineman BB really covets. Nothing else makes sense for that kinda $$$$$'s. I doubt it's the Pat's looking to move up to #8

#8 tackle territory, not a linebacker..... or maybe a D-lineman BB really covets. Nothing else makes sense for that kinda $$$$$'s. I doubt it's the Pat's looking to move up to #8

But if you slide back 4, 5, or 6 spots you should be able to grab any linebacker you want and pick up some additional picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back