Welcome to PatsFans.com

University students claims racism

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by JackPMiller, Feb 25, 2006.

1. JackPMiller

JackPMiller On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

http://www.readingeagle.com/re/news/1490119.asp

KU students claim racism

College Republicans deny using slurs at their ‘Affirmative Action Bake Sale'

By Mike Trask
    Reading Eagle

The Kutztown College Republicans wanted to get publicity and raise eyebrows with a provocative “Affirmative Action Bake Sale†two weeks ago.

They succeeded.

On Thursday, more than 70 Kutztown University students offended by the event protested in front of the college's Administration Building on busy Main Street.

The Republican group held the sale Feb. 8 to highlight what they said are the inequities of affirmative action.

White people could buy cookies for $1. Latinos had to pay only 50 cents and blacks were charged only 25 cents.

The eight-hour sale was held in front of a display honoring Black History Month in the Student Union lobby.

Several minority students claim group members used racial slurs at the sale. They want an apology from the group and one from the KU administration for not shutting down the sale.

“It's not supposed to happen at Kutztown,†said Justin A. McCleary, a black 20-year-old junior from Philadelphia who helped organize the protest. “I think the administration should step in and do something.â€

Mark D. Prinzinger, president of the KU College Republicans and a 22-year-old senior from Emmaus, Lehigh County, denied members of his group used slurs or made racist statements.

Prinzinger was born in South Korea and adopted by an American family.

“I'm upset with the things they're saying about us,†Prinzinger said following the protest. “I don't think any reasonable person would say I hate minorities. I am a minority.â€

He noted the college assigned his group the table in front of the Black History Month display. The College Republicans raised $68 at the sale.

The students protesting Thursday marched silently from the Student Union Building across Main Street to the front steps of the Administration Building, carrying homemade signs with messages such as “Educated Latina†and “Respect regardless of race.â€

They demanded to see Dr. F. Javier Cevallos, KU president. After about 15 minutes, Cevallos met with the students and answered questions for more than an hour.

He said the college is investigating if slurs were used during the sale.

“We don't want to create a hostile environment,†said Cevallos, the first Latino to head a university in the 14-university State System of Higher Education.

However, the president declined to sign a petition to cut the Republican group's funding.

He said funding for all student groups gets distributed through the Student Government Association.

Nicholas A. Little, student government president and a 22-year-old senior from Kennett Square, Chester County, said the money it distributes, from student fees, could not have been used for the bake sale.

He said money for such activities must come from organizations' private accounts, which they can use for whatever they want.

“We can't put limitations on their private accounts,†Little said.

Little said it's too early to tell if the student government will take any action against the Kutztown College Republicans.

Cevallos will attend a meeting Tuesday at 11:30 a.m. in Alumni Auditorium to further discuss the issue. Everyone is welcome, he said.

The protesters said they are eager for Tuesday's meeting. While they said they were not fully satisfied, they were happy to get the administration's attention.

“They did what they could do to be politically correct,†Washington said. “He (Cevallos) showed he really cares about us.â€

But Akeesha M. Washington, 22, a black senior from Philadelphia, said the time for meetings is over.

“We're tired of sitting in little rooms. We want action,†she said.

According to KU officials, the school does not use quotas in its admissions process. Eighty-five percent of its 13,800 students are white.

Many in the administration, including Cevallos, said they were proud of students for taking a stand.

“They have a right to voice their opinion,†said Robert T. Watrous, dean of student services and student life. “What's a better place to have a debate like this than on a college campus?â€

Both students and administrators agreed the dialogue was beneficial.

“Everyone always says college is about what happens outside the classroom,†said Shanique Jones, a black 21-year-old junior from Camden, N.J. “This is a great learning experience.â€

“I'd encourage all of you to keep up the energy,†Cevallos said. “These kind of things are important.â€

Contact reporter Mike Trask at 610-371-5037 or mtrask@readingeagle.com.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  2. JackPMiller

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I got a chance to talk to some of those students and supposedly there was a flyer that came along with the cookies, and in the flyer, I was told it said, that blacks and latinos are getting a free ride. Supposedly some questioned what they meant by that, and then they were told, as told to me by African American students, this is from that group"You don't belong here, you f###### N(word)." Of course then there was a protest. If I heard it, I would have smacked whoever said that comment, because everyone has a right to know without being berated by the people seeling the cookies. I'm happy these students did this march in protest, because it could have gotten out of hand. To say African Americans and Latinos get a free ride in college is a joke in itself. What are your thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Only a complete idiot would claim that blacks or Latinos get a free ride. However, Affirmative Action does nothing to help them or race relations in America IMO. It divides and makes artificial distinctions worse than they already are. I want this crap to end NOW.

4. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,870 / 26 / -17

Disable Jersey

"Mark D. Prinzinger, president of the KU College Republicans and a 22-year-old senior from Emmaus, Lehigh County, denied members of his group used slurs or made racist statements."

Jack, you're relying on 3rd hand statements not reported. This is OLD news. Conservative groups stage these bake sales to illustrate the dichotomy is awarding whatever to groups 'preferred' by affirmative action. AA is racism. Deciding some special folks get extraordinary treatment because of their ethnic origins. Not a good idea.

5. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +153 / 10 / -16

#37 Jersey

The flyer certainly did not say "free ride". The bake sale was to show how people are treated differently based on race when applying to college. My neighbors son goes to KU I will see if I can get a copy of the flyer and make a scan.

If anything the blacks and whites should be together on issues in Berks county considering the amount of money being spent on bilingual garbage! But that is another issue all together.

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,120 / 3 / -10

Affirmative action is racist and an insult to black people.

Can you imagine going to a new job that affirmative action has provided for you on a Monday morning and walking into the building full of people where they and you all know the only reson you are there is because of the color of your skin, that is Disgusting and Cruel.

The EX Grand Kleegle of the KKK Sen Robert Byrd (D) and the rest of his old time buddies all get a great laugh out of Affirmative Action, they have many Racist Jokes about it.

7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I totally agree, again, Boy.

8. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

The College Repulicans have been having this bake sale for years. (I'm sure that you will all be shocked to learn that I was a member of the College Republicans bak in my day). It is used sole to ullustrate how idiotic quotas and affirmative action is. There is no way, that anyone at that bake sale said those things. As a political group anyone at that table was already schooled in the "talking points" they wanted to cover. I bet that you were lied to Jack. The bake sale's main purpose is to start a discussion on the topic, not envoke any kind of racial fight.

9. JackPMiller

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I am not sure if AA is what it was intended to, but what it was for, was to give deserving African Americans, Hispanics, and other minorities a chance where these schools, jobs, etc would not even give them the chance, because of their skin color. With KU, it is a public school, so everyone is getting a free ride, since most of the students are on financial aid. I also know an African American female who is in her early 20's and she is not getting any AID, loans, or scholarship money, she is working full-time and paying for half of her schooling at Kutztown out of her own pocket, she does get help with the other half from her job, and this lady is going to school full-time as well. She is doing this with a 3.4 GPA. That most people have to respect.

10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +567 / 22 / -19

It was a racist stunt on the part of the College Republicans. What they apparently don't realize is that a key component of racism is power. Most people of color are somewhat aware that the white majority has the power to affect their lives if it so chooses. So, the Republican action represents a threat by the majority on the basis of color.

11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +814 / 26 / -33

I have watched affirmative action for a long time now, been somewhat effected by it at work, however imo makes little difference in the big scheme of things except to make some do gooders feel good. I know some folk who have done well and benefitted from it, however know more who have found to be incompetent and eventually washed out.

The intention is good, however the practice is not and the effect is overplayed.

12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +567 / 22 / -19

99% of those who oppose affirmative action have probably never been victims of it, and their opposition is simply a form of institutional racism. As Johnson said,

"You do not take a person who, for years, has been hobbled by chains and liberate him, bring him up to the starting line in a race and then say, 'you are free to compete with all the others', and still justly believe that you have been completely fair."

While quota systems were unnecessary, the idea behind affirmative action was to get employers, many of who discriminated, to keep records showing that they at least met with and interviewed black candidates. Even today, most employers do not make an extra effort to integrate, even with fully qualified people.

Affirmative action helped blacks make strides in education and the job market, and the reasons for it being watered down has more to do with the knee-jerk reaction of many white righties to anything that could conceivably threaten their standing. A far smaller number of whites were hurt by affirmative action, then blacks were hurt by racial prejudice. There are enough lawsuits on the books against big corporations, police and fire departments, and so on, to show that discrimination was widespread.

Racism and discrimination is still being fought.

13. Chevy

Chevy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

40 years ago this argument was valid. Today, it's just liberal whining - It's racist in and of itself, as it tells the black individual "You're still not capable of going it on your own."

14. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

There's no debate to be had here. The College Republicans are certainly within their rights to hold a bake sale as a political protest against affirmative action. If they directed racial slurs at students, then they were in the wrong. If not, they're entitled to their protest, and the counterprotestors are entitled to theirs.