PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

University of Toledo point shaving scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
There is an ongoing FBI investigation into the University of Toledo athletic department, specifically the football team and basketball teams. Players from those teams are alleged to have been involved in point shaving, going back to at least 2004. According to ESPN, (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2988714) Tampa Bay Buc back up QB and former Toledo starter Bruce Gradkowski has surfaced as a person of interest. One of the games under scrutiny is the Dec 26, 2004 Motor City Bowl, in which Toledo was favored by 3 and lost by 29 to Connecticut. Current Patriot Right Tackle Nick Kaczur was Gradkowski's Left Tackle and the chief pro prospect on the Toledo team at the time. Nothing points to Nick's involvement or knowledge of this criminal activity in any way. Let's hope it stays that way.

Last edited:
Current Patriot Right Tackle Nick Kaczur was Gradkowski's Left Tackle and the chief pro prospect on the Toledo team at the time. Nothing points to Nick's involvement or knowledge of this criminal activity in any way. Let's hope it stays that way.

I had the same thought when the reports started trickling out. Luckily, an offensive lineman is an unlikely choice to recruit for point-shaving. Too imprecise -- it's not like a placekicker who can simply hook 3 points wide right.

I had the same thought when the reports started trickling out. Luckily, an offensive lineman is an unlikely choice to recruit for point-shaving. Too imprecise -- it's not like a placekicker who can simply hook 3 points wide right.
I am not so sure a placekicker would be a likely recruit either... there's little guarantee they will have a significant impact on the game (or on the point spread). I mean, don't get me wrong... sometimes an entire game comes down to the 5'7'', 150 pound guy with the golden foot - but that's hardly guaranteed. If I were going to fix a game, I wouldn't start with the placekicker. No, it would have to be a star QB or RB. Maybe a dominant defensive player.

I am not so sure a placekicker would be a likely recruit either... there's little guarantee they will have a significant impact on the game (or on the point spread). I mean, don't get me wrong... sometimes an entire game comes down to the 5'7'', 150 pound guy with the golden foot - but that's hardly guaranteed. If I were going to fix a game, I wouldn't start with the placekicker. No, it would have to be a star QB or RB. Maybe a dominant defensive player.

Yep, if it were going to be a single player the QB is the natural place to start. He has the most control. But if you're spreading the wealth, a placekicker is often in the position to have pinpoint control...say shanking a late extra point that would have blown the spread.

Hypothetically, of course. I've never bought a college football team myself. Hardly ever, anyway.

The reason the feds are looking at the Motor City Bowl is that there was a ton of last minute betting on UConn. UConn was an underdog in that game but in the hours leading up to the game it was learned that Gradowski was injured and may not have played. That is why a lot of the betting swung towards UConn. Now, part of the scandal could have been a leak of that info which may have been an exaggeration of his injury. I remember watching that game (as a UConn alum) and UConn could have won by 40 if they wanted to and a lot of the money in Vegas was on UConn to begin with.

I've never bought a college football team myself. Hardly ever, anyway.
Why do I get the impression your girlfriends were just seething with envy over the immaculate condition of your (ahem) lawn? :cool:

One of the games under scrutiny is the Dec 26, 2004 Motor City Bowl, in which Toledo was favored by 3 and lost by 29 to Connecticut.
Toledo not winning by 3 could be point-shaving. Toldedo losing by 29 is just a massacre.

It wasn't Toledo's offense that gave up 39 points that day , mostly on long drives....
so I think that should reduce the suspicion on that side of the ball.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back