PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

University of Arizona WR Juron Criner

Status
Not open for further replies.

State

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Juron Criner is a diamond in the rough who may not be appreciated as much as he should. He would be the complete package for his straight-line speed were better.

But in everything else he is excellent. He can leap 39 inches and stands 6'3". He has bigger hands than Blackmon's!

Can you imagine his deadliness in the red zone when teams are trying to cope with our tight ends, delayed run, and Welker? Add this guy who had 32 career TD receptions with Wildcats? Basically unstoppable, unless Brady is off target.

And he was considered the toughest guy to cover at the Senior Bowl by the first round DBs. Mike Tanier He came back for last season after personal difficulties--his mother had an illness--and an appendectomy. He's got focus and resilience. Football is obviously a priority in his life.

He would be a tremendous fourth round pickup at #126. People have him all over the place where they'd pick him. I love how he is willing to block for the run. He reminds me of a bigger, slightly more talented David Givens.

Pat Kirwan says he sees many similarities between him and the Saints Marques Colston: same body size and type, same instincts, same lack of straight line speed, etc. Juron Criner*|*Arizona,*WR*:*2012 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Criner has been my binky at WR since I watched him against USC in 2010. He might not have great timed speed in shorts, but he plays the game extremely fast and puts 100% effort into every route he runs. He's a big guy so it can be tough to be explosive in and out of his routes, but he is such a smooth and fluid runner that it more than makes up for it. He is a very talented and consistent route runner, and adds a great amount of versatility all over the field. He works well over the middle but he makes most of his splash plays deep on the outside. Even though he doesn't have elite speed, he makes up for it deep with his size and elite body control. The only other guy in this draft class I think can adjust to the deep ball as well as Criner is Alshon Jeffery, who is another binky of mine.

While Criner is a good deep threat, I think his best attribute, and I believe his most overlooked skill is his ability after the catch. I think he is most dangerous when he has the ball in his hands and the opportunity to make plays. He has been extremely successful throughout his career on short routes like the rocket screen Arizona ran a number of times a game and its a big part of the reason I think he would be successful here.

The final thing I really like about Criner, and one of the most important things I look for in WRs for this system was his ability to create a strong relationship with Nick Foles. Proving that he can not only produce, but also gain a huge amount of trust of the QB is huge in the NFL, especially in New England. People always talk about the difficulty in picking up the Pats system for WRs, but I think the bigger issue is getting on the same page with Brady. Gaining his trust and thinking the same as him to me is the most important thing for a WR. Criner has shown that he can form that bond with a QB, gain his trust and create an understanding where the QB naturally knows where he is going to be. While this by no means guarantees success in New England, I think it gives guys like him a huge advantage over other WR's that haven't had that experience.

Juron Criner is a diamond in the rough who may not be appreciated as much as he should. He would be the complete package for his straight-line speed were better.
You misuse the term "diamond in the rough".

But in everything else he is excellent. He can leap 39 inches and stands 6'3". He has bigger hands than Blackmon's!

Can you imagine his deadliness in the red zone when teams are trying to cope with our tight ends, delayed run, and Welker? Add this guy who had 32 career TD receptions with Wildcats? Basically unstoppable, unless Brady is off target.
If the New England Patriots draft a wide receiver in 2012, will he sit on the bench the entire year (refer to Taylor Price)?

And he was considered the toughest guy to cover at the Senior Bowl by the first round DBs. Mike Tanier He came back for last season after personal difficulties--his mother had an illness--and an appendectomy. He's got focus and resilience. Football is obviously a priority in his life.

He would be a tremendous fourth round pickup at #126. People have him all over the place where they'd pick him. I love how he is willing to block for the run. He reminds me of a bigger, slightly more talented David Givens.
Juron Criner is rated the #71 overall prospect in the 2012 NFL Draft.

NFL Draft - 2012 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Expecting a wide receiver of Criner's stature to fall practically two rounds to the New England Patriots in the fourth round of the 2012 NFL Draft is wishful thinking.

I'm not sure how I misused "diamond in the rough," Tippett, if other reputable sources have him as a mid 6th round value, yet at least some professional scouts think he compares favorably to the Saints' Marques Colston. http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...49-pro-football-weekly-draft-value-chart.html

I said his perceived value is all over the place. I should have proved my point by the link. He could go rounds 2 to 6. But I don't think he goes before the third. So my wishful thinking might not be too fanciful.

And to compare Taylor Price, a Miami of Ohio receiver whom I feel BB gave up too easily, to a big-time PAC10 product is clearly fraught with problems as far as I can see them. Juron Criner is a two-year very productive starter in that league. Thirty-two TDs against USC, not Bowling Green.

I'm not sure how I misused "diamond in the rough," Tippett, if other reputable sources have him as a mid 6th round value, yet at least some professional scouts think he compares favorably to the Saints' Marques Colston. http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...49-pro-football-weekly-draft-value-chart.html
I don't take much stock in the Pro Football Weekly draft value chart. NFLDraftScout has always been my preferred collegiate football scouting website.

Also, considering the number of wide receiver starved NFL franchises, including complaints on the PatsFans message board about the lack of youth at the wide receiver position on the New England Patriots roster, I sincerely doubt Criner makes into the fourth round.

Even the latest five round mock draft from WalterFootball, Juron Criner is selected #79 overall.

WalterFootball.com: 2012 NFL Mock Draft: Round 3

You're probably right that he goes in the third, probably before we pick at #93. If he had run a 4.4 40, then we're talking late first or early second. I think he's undervalued anyway.

Whether or not the value board listed by Pro Football Weekly is up to your standards, PatsNUTme likes it and sees its value. He's the one who posted the link. It's certainly a reputable resource putting Criner at the sixth round.

I guess he is someone to keep in mind if the Pats trade down from 27 if the good guys they're looking for are gone, and can pick up additional picks. I think that's a definite possibility. (Their second first rounder is not likely to garner nearly as much, but I'm not a numbers guy.)

I don't think guys Gonzalez and Ochostinko necessarily are going to be destined to make the roster, esp. if we can get a Criner in the third or Keyshawn Martin in the fourth, perhaps following some wheelin-dealin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes